Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 79913 times)

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2009, 09:07:28 pm »

Sounds good. When you say next revision, do you mean when Toady releases the next game update? Just curious.
As for Chaos Dwarves going live, with as much as regular dwarves like to fight, really differentiating any _dark_race_ I think may take a bit of extra creativity  ;D I will look forward to playing the Dark Dwarves.

On a slightly different topic: Minerals. Once I got to really looking at vanilla minerals and thinking / google'n things, one thing popped out at me. For the most part DF vanilla has plenty of 'unused' minerals with only a very few 'missing keys'. Copper / native aluminum alloys for tough guy dwarves, and aluminum / copper alloys for lightweight elves. Bronze alloys and Aluminum allows add Silica (sand) into the mix regularly. In some cases even zircon is added. In all one could come up with some fairly amazing alloys without adding much of anything more in mineral wise. For instance: (2) Bauxite (for aluminum oxide), (1) Silica (or Obsidian for 'flavor'), (6) Copper, (1) tin, and oh say a Damantoid gem for more flavor. Make a compressive mold, heat over a Magma Forge and continue to "put the Screw to IT" and a good while later you got a new and very magical type of bronze. This Demantium Bronze would be as light as steel (bronze is actually heavier than steel), highly corrosion resistant, and more colorful. Not to mention it does not "stink like steel" to elven kind in general. The above makes 8 bars worth per batch. The above material is not really that far off of reality. Just add in a _Little_Bit_Of_Dwarven_MFG_Magic_ or elven, and BANG!
BTW feel free to tell me to shaddup  ;D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2009, 12:40:38 am »

No worries, I like getting more ideas.

And, yeah, I'm talking about the next version of DF. With all the changes in it, the next version of CivForge should be pretty interesting.

The Aluminum/copper mix for a new bronze is an interesting one. Assuming Toady removes the restriction on number of reactions I'll be adding a lot into the next version.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:22 pm »

Hey, I'm using this mod and am really liking it. A problem I keep getting, however, is that when I am sieged by a group (doesn't matter what race) and their leader is riding a Ice Drake, they just sit back and never attack. I end up having to send my soldiers out to get rid of them (kind of defeats the purpose of defense). Oddly enough, all I have to do is get the leader off the Ice Drake and they will come rushing through a wall of spikes like the good little lemmings they should be.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

Hmm...that's odd. I'll have to play with it a bit. If I can't get that to stop I guess I'll have to just remove the mount tag from the Ice Drakes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:32 pm »

Would taking off the tag require a new world generation?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2009, 11:06:20 pm »

I'm honestly not sure. Some stuff like that does, some doesn't. Hard to say without testing it.
Come play Mafia with us!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2009, 11:26:11 pm »

For the record, I sometimes get that siege behavior without ice drakes (haven't actually seen any of those yet).  I think (but am not sure) that it's been the vamari every time; I figured it was normal behavior (i.e. that they were actually sieging me, instead of suicide charging me).  They ride war horses, which don't have any problem being ridden usually, and they definitely attack normally sometimes.

I'm getting a pretty strange bug, though--my dwarves and pets keep climbing up onto places where they shouldn't be able to get to, often starving or dying of thirst there.  It seems to usually happen in high traffic areas, like statue gardens and next to busy hallways.  I just had a child die on the roof of one of my original seven's house; there hasn't been access to that spot in years.

This seems like a DF bug, except I can't find any mention of it.  I'm guessing it might have something to do with the emerald wasps, like somehow they're causing other creatures to move up a z-level when their paths intersect...  or maybe there's just something funky with my copy of DF.  Could be that I put some temporary access to these places, took them down and forgot about it.  I has anyone else has observed this.

At any rate, the wasps are kicking my ass; it's like a catsplosion except the cats fly.  Maybe shorten their lifespan?  One thing that is cool: for some reason they love to hang out on random roofs and ledges that only they can access.  Very wasp-like.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:33:13 pm by nil »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2009, 11:32:31 pm »

Yeah, some races (Vamarii, Humans, and a few others) will actually SIEGE you. They hang out for quite a while to keep caravans from showing up and then eventually decide to rush you. I hadn't thought of that, but it might be Roses problem. Roses, do those races attack you as normal if they don't have a leader riding an Ice Drake?

On the subject of the wasps...yeah, maybe I should limit them to 5 years or so. They are pretty hard to catch. I've found they make great archery targets for enemy archers, though. They'll spend TONS of bolts trying to shoot them down, so in that respect they're a little nicer then a catsplosion.
Come play Mafia with us!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2009, 11:36:12 pm »

Yeah, some races (Vamarii, Humans, and a few others) will actually SIEGE you. They hang out for quite a while to keep caravans from showing up and then eventually decide to rush you. I hadn't thought of that, but it might be Roses problem. Roses, do those races attack you as normal if they don't have a leader riding an Ice Drake?

On the subject of the wasps...yeah, maybe I should limit them to 5 years or so. They are pretty hard to catch. I've found they make great archery targets for enemy archers, though. They'll spend TONS of bolts trying to shoot them down, so in that respect they're a little nicer then a catsplosion.

Very true, although with my ridiculously overwrought defenses I'd almost prefer they didn't help, I could use the challenge.

Fortunately the frost giants are just starting to siege me (I modded them to be babysnatchers and building destroyers) so that should keep my marksdwarves busy for a couple more years.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »

So far it has been the Chaos Dwarves and the Violet Xelics. The problem is, that if I don't go out and attack them they just sit there for the entire siege and then walk away. Sometimes they even leave their leader on the drake and he just sits there. I've had two sitting for the last 3 years.

I did, however, find a solution that doesn't involve regenerating the world. Unfortunatly taking off the mount tag doesn't help, but taking off the flier tag is a sure fire way to get them to attack. Just did it and those two that have just been chilling came and charged me (with slightly hurt drakes from the fall).

When they siege without drakes everything went fine. I don't know, maybe I am building my fort in such a way that fliers dislike???

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2009, 06:16:43 pm »

Hmm...possible.

I'll have to get a fort to siege-worthy status and see if I can get duplicate this behavior.
Come play Mafia with us!

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:48 am »

Do Violet Xelics  also siege? because my first seige with them they stood there till I went and gave them a good beating now their second siege every single one of them is riding a Drake! !!!!  :o Thats like 25 Violet Xelics on Drakes thanfully they have not rushed me as my little army and those few High Elves would have not stood a chance but like others have said they just sort of sit/hover waiting !

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2009, 10:11:55 am »

Hmmm. No, Violet Xelics should rush you the same way goblins do. Although I've even see goblins hang out a bit before rushing in during a siege. Sounds like something is wrong with Flying mounts.

That's a shame, I though I'd read of other people successfully getting attacked by siegers on flying mounts before.
Come play Mafia with us!

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2009, 10:17:27 am »

Maybe is has somthing to do with the graphics set I am using Mayday so my Violet Xelics are cabinets  ::) oh and a chaos dwarf was a tree  :D

Now I just need to work out how to change them all to just letters or somthing oh and build up my marks dwarfs for a gun fight with some Ice Drakes ;D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2009, 12:00:11 pm »

There is a link on the wiki page for graphics someone made for each of the races. That might help you avoid being attacked by cabinets. The link to the wiki is in the OP.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31