Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 79901 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 01:29:13 am »

Edit] Nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:02:57 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Warmduscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 10:34:31 am »

First let me tell that this mod is great, all the different races to battle really spice up things a bit. But as I was sieged by Chaos Dwarves I ran into a weird problem. There were 40 or so invaders all mounted on horses. But as they rode towards my trade depot which is outside my fortress they were literally chased away by the High Elf traders. As soon as the first arrows flew they scattered and ran. But as the siege wasn't broken by the two deaths they suffered they gathered again only to run away again as the Elves looked at them angry. I think the problem there lies in the Horses. An enemy Spearmaster made a valiant charge and killed a few Elves as soon as his horse was shot dead and he dismounted. Could it be that the horses are defined as noncombatants and as such flee together with their riders when they encounter enemies?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:13 am »

Yeah, that's a known bug with the current version of DF. Horses ridden into combat don't know that they're supposed to warlike. Hopefully Toady will get it fixed in the next release.

I've decided to remove the [MOUNT] tag from all non-evil creatures for now. That should solve the problem until Toady fixes the issue of poorly trained horses.

I've got a few other things I've been playing with, so as soon as I'm convinced that everything works ok I'll release a new version of the mod.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:36:04 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 07:51:42 pm »

Yeah, that's a known bug with the current version of DF. Horses ridden into combat don't know that they're supposed to warlike. Hopefully Toady will get it fixed in the next release.

I've decided to remove the [MOUNT] tag from all non-evil creatures for now. That should solve the problem until Toady fixes the issue of poorly trained horses.

I've got a few other things I've been playing with, so as soon as I'm convinced that everything works ok I'll release a new version of the mod.
The easy way to fix that would be to make invaders ride War Horses, instead of ordinary horses. I don't know if that would be possible to do without also making it possible to train War Horses at your fortress, though--and let's face it, it wouldn't make much sense for a fortress to have a bunch of horses chained outside the entrance that stomp enemies to death. Would be kind of cool, though. :P

Also, the Civilization Forge mod is now officially my favorite mod; my most successful fortress so far was made with this mod. It's a lot more fun when you have 3 of 4 different civs sieging you at once. I do find it kind of cheap that you can take equipment from Chaos Dwarves and use it, though. My entire army is now outfitted with stolen salvaged armor and weapons.
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 08:00:18 pm »

Well, yeah, which is why I tried to balance them by giving them TRAP_AVOID. You get usable stuff off of them, but you have to work harder at it. And, of course, their stuff is mostly base quality. So you have to make your own if you want better.

EDIT: And I'm glad you like the mod so much!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:08:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2008, 03:10:58 pm »

This mod is a lot of fun, I especially like the emphasis on military, it mkaes your Dwarven colony feel like a proper fortress, rather than just a trade outpost with an occasional Goblin problem.

I found a fix for the horse issue:  remove the [BENIEGN] tag, and the horses won't run away anymore (although it was funny watching a single stubborn swordsdwarf chasing 30 armed chaos dwarves on horses around for while).
This may lead to some boatmurdered-esque situations with wild horses, though.

I like how you added Amazonite and Fine Jet, to make digging around in microcline and jet more worthwhile.

Perhaps future versions could include useful things to find in Gypsum or Mica.
Another thing that could be cool is adding Anthracite coal, so forts built on metaporphic layers can have a decent metalworking industry, too.

Idea for anthracite:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although adding more mineral/reaction entries might break save compatibility.

Praise the Miners! You have discovered an Underground Cavern!
You have struck Cave Bacon!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2008, 03:28:03 pm »

Hmmm, I'd have to look at Gypsum and Mica a bit to see what might show up in them. But I do like there being SOMETHING good in all the various rocks. Make for less of a groan when you find them.

The only problem I have with adding in the anthracite coal is that I'm out of reaction slots. You can only have so many in the file, sadly. Which means I'd have to remove something to add it in.

I suppose I could swap out Lignite for it. I'll consider it.

For now, I just took the MOUNT tag off of horses. Belligerent horses would be a bit odd, unless they are war trained. Hmm...although I could make a 'War Horse" that's belligerent and give it the mount tag, and not the various pack/pull features. And, of course, no biome support so you don't have herds of war horses running around.
Come play Mafia with us!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2008, 03:30:24 pm »

Are working mounts new to DF? I know the tag has been there, but I never noticed anything mounted before.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »

Mounts only work for Invaders. Humans and whatnot get horses, and evil creatures like goblins ride beak dogs.
Come play Mafia with us!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »

I don't think I've ever played a fortress that had goblins come with beak dogs. I didn't realize they'd come mounted on them. I just assumed it was part of the game that hadn't been implemented yet. That's pretty cool! :)

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2008, 05:14:01 pm »

I've been doing some searching on Mica, and can't find any data on what useful stuff could be found in it,  but I did learn that it can be ground up for paints, and has been used to make windows out of (since it forms in stacks of thin sheets). Neither is practical for modding into DF, as far as I am aware, unless you make mica into a gem, which is still not very practical.

You could always take out a grade of pewter to make room for Anthracite, although that would wreak hell on save compatibility.

You could make Mica more interesting by making it black or purple, to at least make it interesting for constructions. 
I checked, and there is actually a purple form of Mica:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidolite

Gypsum is already kinda fun because it's yellow, and had anhydrite in it (although anhydrite is equally useless, and not yellow).

Edit, I just checked the wiki, and there is plenty of stuff in stock DF that is interesting about Gypsum:
you can also find Brimstone, satinspar, selenite, borax, and alabaster (which in this mod is useful) in gypsum.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:17:26 pm by CaveBacon »

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2008, 08:14:49 pm »

Another idea to make Mica interesting is to add small clusters of different colored micas (possibly with a stone value of 2) inside the large (grey) clusters of mica, this is not exactly geologically accurate, but would make mica slightly more interesting.

Some ideas for colored Micas, (from wikipedia:)
Lepidolite (purple)
Zinndwalite (yellow)
Phlogophite (brown)
Biotite (dark green)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2008, 09:03:07 pm »

Hmmm, that could be interesting. I'm ok with being a little inaccurate for the sake of interestingness.
Come play Mafia with us!

CaveBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2008, 11:49:44 pm »

I'm ok with being a little inaccurate for the sake of interestingness.

As evidenced by Verdentite  :D

Seriously though, Verdenite is pretty cool, it is a bight-green stone that has deposits of both blue and pink jade.  :) 

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2008, 12:10:02 am »

Any chance for modbase compatibility?  Probably wouldn't be too hard to make it modbase compatible by hand, but I do like having everything nice and neat, I admit.  With this on top of the modbase comp and Age of Shadows (which I made compatible by hand) I'd have a ridiculous amount of stuff.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31