Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 79883 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2008, 12:44:03 am »

Hmmm. Honestly, I haven't played with the Modbase. But if I get a chance I'll see how hard it is to make it compatible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2008, 12:58:36 am »

From my experience with modbase, it's not terrible.  You'll need to add one tag to your existing files:

[OBJECT:<object type>]

So a file with bodyparts would be [OBJECT:BODY], entities are [OBJECT:ENTITY], etc.

You'd then have to make a folder that contains all your files (which would be placed in the modbase folder), and a text file (named dfmod_<nameofmod>) which contains the information modbase uses to find and add your mod, which includes a NAME tag, description, etc, along with the most important parts, the DIRECTORY tag (named the same as the folder with all your files in it) and the [MSECT] tag, followed by a series of FILE tags named after your txts. 
(example, with notes # showing what each does)
For a mod named "example" in an "example" folder with "creature_example_file" and "entity_example_file"
Code: [Select]
dfmod_example

[OBJECT:MOD]

[MOD:EXAMPLE]
[NAME:example mod]
[DIRECTORY:example] #The folder in the modbase folder that contains your files.  So probably something like civforge if you name the folder containing your raws civforge.
[REQUIRES:Original DF] #Original DF is a folder modbase automatically makes using the raws already in place when you first run it, essentially serving as a backup of your original installation.  You can also make mods dependant on other mods, allowing you to make optional addons.
[VERSION:1.6] #version number, dunno if it's absolutely necessary but it displays in the description
[DESCRIPTION:This is an example mod] #description text.  This can be formatted completely normally, EXCEPT use ; instead of : or else it goes all funny.  The description will automatically replace ; from the text with :.  It'll display a description of your mod.

[MSECT:Example_mod] #This will create a checkbox, which enables/disables modbase loading these files.
[FILE:creature_example_file][FILE:entity_example_file] #Individual files.  You could also give each its own MSECT if you wish, or even do MSECTS by groups - for example, one MSECT could be all Civ Forge civilization files, one have all the files that control new objects, one that enables/disables a custom tileset, that sort of thing, though you should be careful about dependencies if so.

Using the above example, on the modbase list this would appear as "example mod", have a checkbox labelled "example mod", which when checked would enable and load the files creature_example_file.txt and entity_example_file.txt as part of the modbase installation (assuming those files were in a folder under modbase named example (C:\Dwarf Fortress\modbase\example, for example, if your DF is installed directly to C:\), and show the description text of "This is an example mod".  For multiple MSECTs, if you want to compartmentalize your mod, files should follow each MSECT and then have a new MSECT for each group of files, so instead of the above I'd have

[MSECT:example mod creatures][FILE:creature_example_file]
[MSECT:example mod entities][FILE:entity_example_file]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:04:31 am by Thuellai »
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:57 pm »

Can you please tell me how to make adamantine wafers cheat work for your mod? It won't work normally and I just need it so I have unlimited supply.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:55 pm »

Uh...not sure, really. I've never tried it before, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. You can probably do it by replacing a reaction to just make them for you without requiring anything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2008, 05:07:33 pm »

The beastmen are kind of interesting, but I don't think they'll make it into the core mod at this point. You just get way too many caravans, and they rarely have anything interesting to sell, so it's mostly a waste of time and FPS. Maybe when the caravan arc comes out we'll see more realistic caravan movement, and you won't get swamped by traders from every civ type, just the civs nearest. Which might be interesting, if you're mostly surrounded by, say, humans, and you could get traders from several human civs.
Can't you just make them hostile to prevent that?  If they then have trouble suriviving world gen, maybe you could up their birthrate?

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2008, 09:16:33 pm »

Can't you just make them hostile to prevent that?  If they then have trouble suriviving world gen, maybe you could up their birthrate?

There's no cut-and-dry friendly/hostile anymore.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2008, 10:19:27 am »

Well, I could make then unable to speak, but then they'd probably get wiped out in world gen by constantly being at war. Right now they actually do pretty well for themselves, and it's more the sheer number of caravans that gets annoying.

It's not a big deal. They were interesting, but not interesting enough to really bother with at this stage in DF's development. I may revisit them as the game allows for more complexity.
Come play Mafia with us!

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2008, 01:11:57 am »

Uh...not sure, really. I've never tried it before, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. You can probably do it by replacing a reaction to just make them for you without requiring anything.

how you do that, can you give me the right code for it so that I can replay your mod once again?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »

[REACTION:PEWTER_LAY_MAKING]
[NAME:make lay pewter & adamantine]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PEWTER_LAY]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]

This should do it. Replace the Lay pewter reaction (in reaction_standard.txt) with this entry. It'll get you 10 Adamantine plus some lay pewter, with no cost.
Come play Mafia with us!

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2008, 06:45:52 pm »

now I'm suffering from mysterious heavy lag. The game freezes for 3 seconds every so often and it's getting in my nerves.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:53 pm »

Odd. Are you using any other mods?
Come play Mafia with us!

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:01 am »

nope, I made a new folder, extracted DF v40d, implanted your mod and add in the adam cloth, wood, adam wafers, and coke cheats, along with some modification for the dwarfs so they become a bit faster and don't consume water, drinks or even sleep so that my base building won't slow down during the start. This is the first time this strange 3 second freeze started happening, it didn't do this when I was playing the original version or the fallout mod.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2008, 10:52:39 am »

Check your announcement log. Sometimes a dwarf gets stuck unable to do something and the spam it so much it lags the game. Nothing in my mod should cause lag. At least, I've never seen it happen, and no one else has reported it.
Come play Mafia with us!

psiondoodler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2008, 03:12:21 am »

Ok Mephansteras...do you have some explanation as to why you are rampaging around in my fortress, destroying doors and hatches, but not really bothering the dwarfs otherwise. and please would you kindly step into one of the cage traps Ive been setting out for you already?

psiondoodler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2008, 04:12:47 am »

Ok, well I managed to get you to explore a chasm, by means of a retracting bridge i built just for the occasion.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31