Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 79878 times)

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:01 pm »

Chippin' away at an ocean fort now, kobalts are everywhere, I had somewhere around 11 kobalt and 6 zepher theves the first time the elves/silver xelics came around.

Lots of truesilver, I've found like, 3 veins of it so far (and only one of hematite, oh well) So I see very good armor in my future, especially if I can find some cobaltine too... The new alloys are nice, lets you get > steel without having too much "Fun" (remember kids, losing is fun!)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 03:36:29 pm »

Decided to give you all some nice little rank charts for the differences between different metals and alloys. There are some special alloys that aren't on here. But you can assume they're better then steel if you can make them. ;)

I'm considering changing Bronze to be a bit more realistic, though. Since it is, in reality, as good as iron. With Crystal and Levisium in there to take the place of lower grade armor/weapons, it may be ok. Speaking of which, does anyone ever use Verdent Bronze or Royal Bronze right now?

Armor
Copper
Verdent Bronze
Bronze
Crystal
Levisium
Royal Bronze
IronBlood CrystalIncendium
Bright Silver
Night Crystal
Glacium
Shimmersteel
Steel
Ward Iron
Mithril

Weapons
Copper
Verdent Bronze
Bronze
Crystal
Levisium
Royal Bronze
IronNight CrystalWard Iron
Bright Silver
Blood Crystal
Glacium
Shimmersteel
Steel
Incendium
Mithril
Incendium (ammo only)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2008, 03:45:35 pm »

Really? You mustn't forget, the iron we're using is really just primitive steel(which doesn't explain why it's just as good when you use magma forges without the carbon from burning wood).
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2008, 04:22:34 pm »

Well, I'm basing it off of this article, and a few related links. According to that bronze is better then Iron, but harder to make and therefore more expensive. Iron does have the advantage for weapons, in that they can be resharpened while bronze weapons need to be reforged.

I'm thinking of knocking Iron down slightly for armor, and Bronze up a bit for weapons and even more for Armor. That'll make them slightly more realistic and make the return on the various Crystal alloys a little better, since they're rather expensive to make right now. I'd probaby also going to make it so that the tin to copper ratio is more correct. Although I may not go all the way to the 1:9 ratio that it should be, since that might be a pain to deal with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2008, 04:36:51 pm »

Though bronze is stronger (harder) than wrought iron, the Bronze Age gave way to the Iron Age.

Wrought iron is commercially pure iron. In contrast to steel, it has a very low carbon content.

After reading more, though, it appears wrought iron isn't pure iron at all, as revealed by the second sentence. Nevertheless, not much carbon. But it is certainly cheaper. Steel is still superior to ordinary bronze.

I admit you're right then.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2008, 10:35:55 pm »

I have started a succession game using your mod and have told the players that the default pop cap is to be 50. If it is set this low will I miss out on the sieges from the multiple enemy civs or is it just goblins who follow the 'will siege at 80 dwarves rule'. I hope it is alright that I use your mod as i never bothered to ask before and the game has already started.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »

Feel free to use it! I'll have to watch the thread. :)

As for the pop cap, I'm afraid since you've already started you're going to miss out on sieges unless you Tick off one of the neutral races (like the Dyansauri or humans).

In the future, you can fix that by lowering these down to 1, which should be low enough to sieges early on.
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]
Come play Mafia with us!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 12:25:08 am »

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]

You should be able to change those and start getting sieges in the current fortress.  I wouldn't expect them to require a new world (or fort).  Just remember to tell your successors to tweak their files similarly so they too can enjoy the goblins.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 02:24:37 pm »

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I know some changes work right away and others are set when the world is created. Doesn't hurt to try, anyway.

Let us know if that change is one of the immediate ones!
Come play Mafia with us!

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 06:32:59 pm »

Chaos Dwarves - A twisted branch of dwarves dedicated to dark gods. They have no honor, black souls, and foul tempers. Otherwise, identical to normal dwarves.

I'm having trouble with this. How are they different from normal Dwarves again?
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 06:45:06 pm »

Hehe. Well, I'm basing that off Toady and Threetoe's image of dwarves, not how most players end up playing them.

In game terms, they steal babies. Which makes them evil horrible things, I suppose. And their Ethics tags are very different from the Dwarf civs, so an Adventurer visiting them would probably see more of a difference.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2008, 03:47:34 pm »

I've been playing around with a few things. Made Bronze have 80 effectiveness for weapons and 100 armor, with Iron going to 100 for weapons and 80 for armor. A little more realistic that way, I think, and it makes bronze much more useful. You also end up seeing lots of bronze armor on your enemies, which is interesting. Bronze and Brass also take a lot more copper per tin/nickle now, which makes that more realistic as well. Not major changes as far as gameplay goes, but I think once the Caravan arc is in it'll have a bigger impact. Especially if civs start needed to have iron on site to make iron weapons.

Also playing around with Primative beastman civs. They're pretty interesting for World Gen stuff, but I'm not sure if they'll be too much in Fortress Mode yet. Might end up with waaay too many caravans showing up.

Not sure if any of this'll end up in the core Civilization Forge, but if anyone wants to play with this stuff let me know and I can release a few experimental versions.

Come play Mafia with us!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2008, 01:10:17 am »

I like the bronze idea. As before it was pretty much useless, now I will be able embark in sedimentary less areas as copper and tin can both be found in granite.

edit] I would also suggest increasing the frequency of cassiterite found in the game as you can only really find it in granite. IRL cassiterite is found in all igneous layers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:17:38 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2008, 02:41:22 am »

For my latest games I modded seasonal activity so that the main trading civs are active and Spring and most other civs are active in all other maps.  Before this I was finding that the constant raiding was destroying too many caravans and killing too many liaisons for my personal taste.

Makes for a rather busy trading session though.  My first Spring trading season so many caravans arrived all at once they made one big traffic jam frozen in place and they eventually gave up and left without any of them getting to my trading depot.

One game I went for a pop limit of 15, made 6 of my initial 7 permanent military with all starting points in shield user/wrestler.  Was doing pretty good, beat off a couple of the xelic raids with no losses.  And then a goblin raid turned up.  I thought 'ooh look goblins I'm so scared (not)'  And then I spied 'XX has been shot by elite bow goblin'.  That got my attention.  But all my military were already dead, and an elite bow goblin with super stats was in my fortress with no traps, no wounds and all my military dead.

Next game I did fine with no traps, a heavy military buildup where I started with a proficient leatherworker and got good leather armour ASAP.  There were no Xelics on the map though and I got bored at pop 60 and decided I needed a new map with magma.

My current map has magma and sand and flux.  And it has xelic neighbours (but not sure if its the aggressive or trading variety or both).  But I've turned invaders off because I'm not in the mood....

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2008, 11:32:08 am »

Yeah, so far I'm liking the bronze changes. I've got a fortress going on a map without iron, and between the tempered Crystal items I can make and the bronze, I'm not missing it too much.

Read up on cassiterite a bit more. Looks like it can show up in any igneous intrusive rock, but it's primary deposites are only in grantite. So I may make it show up as small clusters in the others (Diorite & Gabbro) and only veins in Granite. Fortunately, since you only need 1 tin for 4 copper, it's not a big deal if you don't get a huge amount of it.

The beastmen are kind of interesting, but I don't think they'll make it into the core mod at this point. You just get way too many caravans, and they rarely have anything interesting to sell, so it's mostly a waste of time and FPS. Maybe when the caravan arc comes out we'll see more realistic caravan movement, and you won't get swamped by traders from every civ type, just the civs nearest. Which might be interesting, if you're mostly surrounded by, say, humans, and you could get traders from several human civs.

I haven't had the problem jellyman has of too many ambushes stopping my caravans, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31