Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 79888 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #390 on: November 13, 2009, 02:41:25 pm »

Depends a lot on your definition of Orihalcum. Which is a bit fuzzy. Since it's made of Gold, Platinum, and Mithril in Civilization Forge, I decided to just average the weight of those three metals, making it rather heavy despite the mithril. As it is, it's still about half of what Gold or Platinum weighs.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:11 pm »

I am surprised you make anything out of Mithril. It is supposed to be perfect! (at least as perfect as natural metals can be)

Though I guess it does give evidence of magic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 13, 2009, 02:44:31 pm »

Making Alloys out of mithril is really only intended to stretch a limited supply a bit further. No alloy of Mithril is as good as the pure metal itself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 13, 2009, 02:45:45 pm »

So then Oricalcum is a pre-empt of the next release where light metals, elements, and alloys make poor blunt weapons?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:07 pm »

Hmmm, I guess so. Orihalcum Warhammers will be all the rage!

In general, though, the next version is going to be quite interesting, and will probably involve a lot of changes to the new metals and alloys in Civ Forge. The basic idea behind all of them will be there, but how I go about reflecting that will change. Smelting them will also change a bit, and probably involve new workshops.
Come play Mafia with us!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 13, 2009, 02:57:20 pm »

One issue you may hit in the future is that some of your materials (namely your crystal ones) that were normally powerful materials, will become much weaker as they would be more accurately fragile (Crystal doesn't usually bend all that much, or at all)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 13, 2009, 03:07:56 pm »

Yeah, those will be interesting to figure out. But something in the process of creating them is going to make them a good bit less brittle then crystal should be. Not sure on the details yet, of course, but it should be doable.

Hmmm...I think I have a solution. Magnesium is apparently quite common in minerals and is used in modern times as an additive to glass to make it stronger and more durable. If I have the alchemical tempering of raw crystal glass use a magnesium source (say, dolomite or olivine), then I can get the Tempered Crystal 'metal' easily enough. Blood Crystal, Night Crystal, and Void Crystal still need to have a more...logical source then simply using Cinnabar and Cobaltite. But it's a start.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:20:04 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:11 pm »

Looking into things a bit more, I think I can still do some work with Cinnabar and Cobaltite for the other two. It'll just involve Alchemy.

Cobaltite contains not only Cobalt, but Arsenic as well. Which mean an extract from Cobaltite could give me an elixir that lets you not only make Night Crystal, but can also give you Arsenical Bronze. Probably two varieties, one with just Copper and one with Copper and Tin. Superior to normal copper and bronze respectively. Obviously, this is beyond the scientific scope of DF. But it works well if you bring Alchemy into it.

Cinnabar gives Mercury (Quicksilver), so that's of obvious Alchemical importance. Since Cinnabar itself is a red crystal structure, treating Tempered Crystal with Quicksilver to produce Blood Crystal works on an Alchemical level (if not a scientific one). So I think I'll go with that.

Structurally, I'll need to give Night Crystal better hardness then normal Tempered Crystal and Blood Crystal should give both slightly better hardness and much better edge capabilities. Both will be a bit heavier since additional metals are included in the final Crystal.

Void Crystal is my next project, although that may just end up involving an extra Alchemical step to mix Quicksilver with whatever the Elixir from Cobaltite ends up being called.
Come play Mafia with us!

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 30, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »

Hi, I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but I can't find any cassiterite and I've got multiple granite layers.  I used reveal and I couldn't find any.  I looked in the raws and saw you did some tinkering with cassiterite.  I'm going to try to embark on another random spot with lots of granite and see if there's cassiterite there.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 30, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »

It's pretty random on what you get, but cassiterite can certainly still show up in granite with this mod.
Come play Mafia with us!

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:20 pm »

What terrible luck.  I went to another site with the same worldgen and found well over a dozen veins of cassiterite.  I've never seen no cassiterite in such a large granite formation.

However, I noticed when comparing granite layers from vanilla dwarf fortress, there is definitely no gold anywhere to be found in the civforge version (both sites), but the vanilla version is rife with it.  was this intentional?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 30, 2009, 04:38:09 pm »

I didn't touch gold (or any of the normal ores, for that matter), so that's just more bad luck I think. I know I frequently find gold in Granite.
Come play Mafia with us!

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 30, 2009, 04:44:10 pm »

You did touch the ores, because my cassiterite entries are different.  Here's vanilla:

[MATGLOSS_STONE:CASSITERITE]
[NAME:cassiterite][COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:TIN:100]
[VALUE:2]

and here's civforge:

[MATGLOSS_STONE:CASSITERITE]
[NAME:cassiterite][COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:156]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:TIN:100]
[VALUE:2]

This kind of thing makes one wonder how much other stuff would have been changed.  Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if all the extra stuff added in this mod doesn't end up displacing some of the normal ores.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 30, 2009, 04:49:24 pm »

Hmm, I guess its been a while.

But, yeah, all the extra stuff does tend to change things a bit, since there can only be so much stuff in a layer. Actually, thinking about it, the increased appearance of rock crystal alone probably messes with the normal ratios quite a bit.
Come play Mafia with us!

tigervx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:44 pm »

Does anybody else have problems keeping Megabeasts alive? They seem to die in droves during the World Gen process, and setting the stoppage at something extremely high like 95% will still only got me 73 years into the world gen before it stopped itself. Anything beyond 100 years and there are almost never any megabeasts left. I want to play this mod, but it seems a shame that all these new megabeasts you added will never do anything.

I'm using Mayday's graphics pack, but I don't think it should affect anything like this. Is this a common problem?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31