Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Age of Shadows mod  (Read 13331 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Shadows mod
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

The Age of Shadows mod adds:
-Several new playable races
-A multitude of weapons and items
-Powerful megabeasts
-Many interesting and exotic creatures
-New livestock and trainable pets
-New plants, metals and materials
The mod doesn't change any of the original Dwarf Fortress files. Many of the additions are in separate files to make it easier for you to pick and choose what you want to add to your game.

Download here

New this version: Added some new semi-megabeasts (Fomorian giant, Lamia, Cerberus.) Added the Terror bird (based on pre-historic carnivorous flightless birds.) Also, due to changes in the way reactions work I had to change the reaction for layered spidersilk. The amount of silk you need now depends on the size of the spider.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Domestic creatures
Spider(trainable), boar(trainable), golden eagle(trainable), skevyren mastiff(trainable), chicken, pig, llama, alpaca, yak, aurochs, sheep, goat

Vermin
Cavy, skunk, mink, polecat, weasel, marten, pika, mole, mouse, vole, gerbil, lemming, house hippo, prairie dog, gopher, chinchilla, shrimp, newt, salamander, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, walleye, musky, nautilus, garter snake, rattle snake, sugar glider, mongoose, meerkat, sea gull, sandpiper, shrew, elephant shrew, hamster, Bandicoots, red eared sliders (turtles), painted turtles, map turtles, musk turtles, sun conures, green turaco, white-bellied caique, kestrel, raven, bearded lizard, cuttlefish, catfish, green anole, chub

Wild Animals
Saber-tooth cat, dire wolf, mammoth, rhino, wooly rhino, rabbit, hare, snowshoe hare, muskrat, beaver, otter, capybara, wolverine, badger, platypus, winter fox, mallard duck, wood duck, runner duck, comb duck, tufted duck, goose, loon, swan, heron, pelican, stork, turkey, peacock, grouse, partridge, pheasant, toucan, snowy owl, great horned owl, spectacled owl, puffin, rockhopper penguin, blackfooted penguin, emperor penguin, emu, ostrich, coyote, bobcat, lynx, moose, caribou, bison, water buffalo, zebra, okapi, giraffe, kangaroo, wallaby, panda, sun bear, jackal, hyena, king cobra, anaconda, bush baby, red panda, opossum, pademelon, 2 toed sloth, 3 toed sloth, armadillo, giant armadillo, pangolin, giant pangolin, giant tortoise, redfooted tortoise, desert tortoise, green sea turtle, leatherback seaturtle, snapping turtle, alligator snapping turtle, osprey, blackwinged kite, bald eagle, haring ibon, harpy eagle, marsh harrier, crested goshawk, black hawk, gyrfalcon, peregrine falcon, condor, monk vulture, turkey vulture, hooded vulture, yellow crested cockatoo, red-tailed black cockatoo, hyacinth macaw, military macaw, scarlet macaw, imperial parrot, grey parrot, ocelot, clouded leopard, snow leopard, caracal, serval, jungle cat, sand cat, giant anteater, aardvark, giant forest hog, peccary, tapir, lesser mousedeer, pronghorn, pudu, musk deer, muntjac, impala, hartebeest, brindled gnu, topi, gazzelle, klipspringer, steenbok, gaur, banteng, kouprey, eland, nyala, lesser kudu, greater kudu, ibex, bighorn sheep, duiker, addax, oryx, rhebok, wombat, Dhole, wildehond, maned wolf, fennec fox, raccoon dog, bush dog, red wolf, kit fox, aardwolf, squid, octopi, manatee, dugong, Echidna, Tamandua, gerenuk, saiga antelope, spotted cuscus, baribusa, guanaco, Vicuņas, onager, green iguana, giant monitor lizard (komodo dragon), koala, gharial, short faced bear, cave bear, cave lion, cassowary, longfinned eel, terror bird

Megabeasts
Thunderbird, Jabberwock, Great Old One, Behemoth, Frost Giant, Fire Giant, Tarasque

Semi-megabeasts
Gorgon, Wyrm, Ifritt, Fomorian Giant, Lamia, Cerberus

Mythical creatures
Phoenix, white stag, pegasus, white buffalo, sphinx, oread, siren, dryad, werebear, chimera, barghest, bandersnatch, manticore, bunyip, hippocamp, jackalope, drake, griffin, hippogriff, furry trout, wyvern, basilisk, gnoll, demonic monkey, nightmare (evil horse), Wendigo, bloodfiend (chupacabra), leucrotta, seraph (worshiped by the skevyr)

Monstrous creatures
Giant mantis, giant desert lizard, monstrous snapping turtle, monstrous anaconda, monstrous albino crayfish

Automatons
Ancient machines of unknown origins that are capable of basic thought. They can be found in the deep places of the world. There is rumor of an even larger automaton that has been known to wreak havoc upon unsuspecting fortresses.

Plants
Hemp, barley, sugar beet, sugar cane, fiddlehead, cave fern, liquorice, wormwood, squaw root, winter grape, bee hives, honeypot ants, puffball mushrooms, bolete mushrroms, shaggy caps, green grapes, red grapes, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, raspberries,

Materials
Godsblood- given it's name due to it's appearance, godsblood is a highly sought after ore for making weapons. It can further be refined into bloodsteel (refinement needs flux and green glass).

Mithril- A beautiful, and surprisingly durable metal. It is too light to be used in weapons, but it is excellent for armour.

Layered spidersilk- Finely spun spidersilk that is layered and suitable to be used in armour making.

White gold- 3 bars of gold and one bar of nickel will give you 4 bars of white gold

Shimmerstone- A strange and beautiful metal that can carefully be worked into strands to make clothing. It isn't terribly durable so it is merely used in decoration.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur
Playable in: Fortress mode, Adventure mode
These proud people of the plains are half man and half horse. Their great strength and battle prowess has gained them renown the world over.
Custom Items:
Waraxe, kopis, hunting spear, club, javelins, pan pipes, horns, toy gazelle, toy centaur, custom armour and clothing

Gnomes
Playable in: Fortress mode, Adventure mode
Gnomes make their homes deep in the mountains. They resemble dwarves in appearance, but are shorter and not as stout.
Custom items:
Handaxe, sabre, partisan, cudgel, musket, toy whirligig, toy gizmo.

Urbog
Playable in: Adventure mode
The Urbog have often been described as gentle giants. They are the largest of all the races. Their bodies are covered with a thick coat of fur. Before the Rakvyren war the Urbog were never seen outside their forest homes. They used very basic tools. They are still rare outside the forests, but those who do wander abroad usually attain great renown as adventurers.
Custom items:
primitive axe, spear, urbog blade (loosely based on a real world weapon, the hunga munga), toy urbog, toy bear

Skevyr & Rakvyr
Playable in: Fortress mode (Skevyr), Adventure mod (Skevyr, Rakvyr)
The Skevyr and Rakvyr have long ago branched off from humanity. They were humans who were led by a divine being who gifted them with an unnaturally long life. They divided further into two groups. The Skevyr and Rakvyr. The Skevyr maintained their allegiance to the divine being, but the Rakvyr had succumbed to the influence of demons. The Rakvyr barely resemble the humans they once were due to a cultural practice of self mutilation.
Custom items:
Skevyr- bearded axe, falchion, claymore, ranseur, crowbill, 3-headed flail, arbalest, great helm, tower shield, toy soldier
Rakvyr- Warbrand, Lashknife, kukri, throwing star

Demonspawn
These twisted progeny of demons live solely to bring death and destruction to the other races of the world. They stand taller than most races. They have black, bat-like wings that have a claw-like appendage they use as a weapon. They have a lust for blood and are often seen feeding on their victims after a battle. Their demon gods have taught them the secrets of metallurgy and their weapons rival those of even the best dwarven craftsman.
Custom items:
Demonic whip, kris, cleaver, demonic scepter, scythe, flanged mace, trident, chakram, throwing knives, custom armour

Grullocks
If a grullock were to stand up straight it would be comparable in height to a dwarf. Their bodies are covered in thick, wiry fur. The most remarkable feature of these creatures is their four arms. When frightened and running they'll often use one of their sets of arms to help with locomotion. These small humanoids make there homes in dark caverns, usually shying away from the civilized races. They are capeable of basic tool and weapon making. Grullocks are mostly viewed as a nuissance, from time to time they are caught stealing from other races.
Custom items:
Throwing axes, spears
Install a fresh copy of dwarf fortress and extract the .txt files and place them in your raw/objects folder. There may be conflicts if you use other mods alongside this one.
Please report any bugs, typos, and any feedback you'd like to share. I'd love to hear your stories as well!

Download here

What to expect in future versions?
I will be adding more materials, plants, creatures. I'll also be fleshing out entities more and fixing bugs I come accross.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me out on the modding forums, everyone who has given feedback and of course Toady one for making such a great game!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:08:48 am by Wiles »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Shadows mod
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

Wow, a lot of unique content you have!
Do you experience some crashes, or are you a genius who managed to add a lot without conflicting with engine?
I will definitely try your mod, I like new experience and it's clearly that you made a great effort to compile and invent so much things together. Thank you for your work for the community fun.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

I'm certainly no genius, it has crashed   :)

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

Updated with a new version. I didn't really add much this time, I was mostly fixing some issues that came up in testing.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

My main problem with this mod was that it had more then one civ set civ_controllable, which is easy to fix but will almost never result in a stable generated world. You have to manually go in and make it so only one is civ_controllable, and then change it when you want to play a particular civ.

Other then that, its bloody well brilliant.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

When you are at the site selection screen you can press the tab button until you get to the "your civilization" panel. You can chose which civ you want to play with the + or - keys

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

I highly recommend this mod. It's simple, it doesn't try to impose anything on you and it doesn't do what it doesn't advertise or does it attempt to confound you with confusing creatures dreamed up by the creator with little to no backstory. I've been using it since forever and I can't imagine not playing with it (except that I take all the other playable races out as a personal preference.).

In fact, if you've never fought and defeated a Great Old One in single combat in adventurer mode, you haven't played DF.

Want to even know how much I love this mod? I love it so much I stalk the creator :P

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

I realize you /can/ do that, but having more then one civ set civ_controllable messes up the worldgen and certain aspects of play (for example, you can't trade with a species set civ_controllable other then your own), and so on. I've seen this reported numerous times on the wiki/forums. Well, if you get unexplained bugs, at least, you'll know where they are coming from.

Not to say this isn't an awesome mod. Great Old One? It has my vote.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:00 am »

In older versions of DF having more than one race with civ controllable was indeed a problem. The only problem I've had with using many races was that on a smaller map they usually don't all get placed. That's not to say it doesn't cause any trouble, just that I haven't experienced any personally. If you have had a specific problem I'd be glad to know about it   :)

As for trading I haven't had any trouble with it myself. You will only get 2 trading partners other than your own race. I played the Skevyr last night and they were able to trade with the Urbog and the Humans.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

Hmm, sorry I forgot I've seen this mod.
So I started a game with old "Wiles Mod".
Is this mod the same but with additional content?

And I don't experience crashes because I remove all new entities and play with old 4 + your content.

A question about this mod - does it have additional pack animals (like Llama, aurochs and yaks)? In "Wiles Mod" there was a problem - they had no    [TRADE_CAPACITY] token thus elven traders often arrived with these creatures empty.

P.S. Looks like this is really revamp of that old mod.
Starks, wombat? I currently stand agains zombie wombat hordes with zombie starks aviation, they literally siege me. I've got a master axeman on my usual woodcutter >.< .

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

I hope you're still here, Wiles.

Because I started to make graphics for your mod. You have A LOT of creatures but they are all ASCII only, and some guys prefer to play with bmp sets. Also it may be helpful for guys who are not perfect in english, i.e. I didn't get what "heron" is the first time I saw it without dictionary. A picture could help.

First natural creatures I've done.
I'm adding this to the Dystopian tileset which I prefer and like very much. I borrowed some graphics from dystopian (like elephant skeleton for mammoth) but if guys with other preferences (like Mayday's tileset) will like me to make independent version I'll do it.

[ May 31, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Hi Deon, yes this is pretty much a continuation of my older mod. Thanks for pointing out the pack animals issue, I'll fix that for next time.

Thank you for taking the time to make some graphics. I'm not very good at that sort of thing and I'm sure graphics users would really appreciate it.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

Wow, and out of left field comes a massive new mod.  Definitely checking this out, thanks Wiles!
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

Out of left field? What does it mean?

And yes, Wiles, there're "some" creatures just for now, I actively spend my evenings wasting my time in adove photoshop drawing them pixel-by-pixel =). So in a few days I'll finish them all. Now I stopped at kangaroo (I finish natural creatures first, then I'll make mysterious).
I really like the variety your mod offers. It's because of you my dwarves can kill zombie rabbits while opposing skeleton hares =).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

Hey, Wiles, I'm more than over a half of your list of creatures.
When I will make my graphics and contribute them to you, can you contribute your natural creatures (non-fantasy, like hares and wombats) to include in my merged modpack which I make to extend existing DF features?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2 3