Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SpeedMod - idea  (Read 993 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
SpeedMod - idea
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

It is the simplest of all mods; give your dwarves the [SPEED:1] tag, granting them the-Flash like speed. This is unfair to the rest of the world, however, because the dwarves get 800 attacks for every 1 that a goblin makes, for instance. My idea is this: divide the speed numbers for all creatures by 16; for dwarves, this is a speed of 50. Elves get 44, and nearly all other creatures have the default 800 speed to start with, so they all get 50 too. The end effect is that the effective frame rate for the game is 16 times faster. There are some limitations; notably, that hunger timers and flow calculations are at the same rate, so dwarves get more than a year's worth of work done on only one month's worth of meals. But for those of you with slow computers, imagine what 16 times your current FPS could get you; in some cases, 8 frames per second.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpeedMod - idea
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

I think this would actually kill frames.
More Pathfinding in less time... or rather, less frames to allow for pathfinding :P

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

It wouldn't make the game run much faster. You would likely get LESS fps, but more would get done - I imagine there would be some small increase in speed (well, dwarf labor done per real life hour) because it's calculating flows and such at the same rate but AFAIK pathfinding is the biggest hit to speed so it would be a minor increase at best.

It would also make dwarf mode easier like you said, by making dwarves more able to run from magma/water and have to eat/drink/sleep less relative to the amount of work they do.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

quote:
imagine what 16 times your current FPS could get you

The FPS depends on processor ticks which remain the same as long as all actions are performed in the same order. The only thing it'll do is decrease the difficulty by making your dwarves make things 16 times faster and also it  will make your game run with LESS FPS because the pathfinding will require 16time less time => that more processor speed (so if it were just simple calculations it should make you have 16times less fps; luckily the fps output depends on much more factors than a mere speed).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

I might cheat like this just for the first year for my fort, since I absolutely hate the digging out of all my rooms and such.

Okay, holy shit. I just tried it, and within the first 5 seconds I saw all my masons teleporting around my unfinished wall. By the time I blinked twice, it was finished.

This is awesome    :D

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Oh yeah, turn this on if you need to haul like 200 stones or more. 40 dwarves cleaned out an entire fort in a minute.

Thanks for the idea!

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Ye, i'll consider speeding up my dwarves by 2 or 4 times their normal speed in late game.
This should finally get the tons of hauling done that come with sieges...