Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A very simple stainless steel mod  (Read 2269 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A very simple stainless steel mod
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

I wanted stainless steel, so I went ahead and stuck it in. Probably not very accurate, but hey.

Add these lines to matgloss_metal.txt:

[MATGLOSS_METAL:STAINLESS_STEEL]
[NAME:stainless steel][ADJ:stainless steel][COLOR:7:7:1]
[VALUE:35]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:13000]
[BOILING_POINT:15000]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL]
[DAMAGE_PERC:140]
[BLOCK_PERC:140]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7900]

As you can see, I just made up the attributes of stainless steel. I decided it would be "better" than steel, but not "too much better." Since we don't have corrosion or durability yet, which are the main differences, I just improved all the numbers a bit.

Also add these lines to reaction_standard.txt:

[REACTION:STAINLESS_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make stainless steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:6:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:CHROMITE]
[PRODUCT:100:6:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STAINLESS_STEEL]
[FUEL]

Since stainless steel is generally just an alloy of Chromium and Steel, all I did was require 1 rock of chromite to turn 6 bars of steel into 6 blocks of stainless steel.

Any suggestions to make this a bit better?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: A very simple stainless steel mod
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

*sigh*. Minerals Mod. All in there already.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

I don't like minerals mod. It adds too much fantasy stuff I don't want or need. I tried picking through it to pull out the good stuff, but it was too time consuming.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

Make a statement, and I'll consider separating all non-real-world materials into different files. I already did, to an extent, all new material reactions can be turned off.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

The reaction uses iron bars, not steel.  I don't think that was intended.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

oops

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

Why would you make stainless steel stronger than steel?  I'm pretty sure it's comparatively weak.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Bronze is also harder than iron. What's your point?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

There are quite a lot of variants of stainless steel. Specifically, any sufficiently hard metal resistant to corrosion can be called stainless steel. The chromium-vanadium alloy for toolmaking can be called stainless steel. The steel-chromium alloy (which fyi contains nickel and molybdenum as principal compounds as well) is called stainless steel. The cobalt alloy group has metals falling in the same category. Osmiridium and iridiosmium posess similar properties.

Just making a metal that's better than steel and calling it "stainless steel" can probably be considered very basic modding by now. I don't want to discourage people from modding, I just think that if you want a variant of something that's already done, it's faster and more effective to actually use what's been done as a base. Get creative people!

edit: then again, I can see a reason to make a "simple" stainless steel mod. But it's a bit too narrowed down to be useful in the long run. Get some more metals that you think are plausible and recreate them in whatever you deem a "simple way". Might make an alternative to the Minerals Mod for people that don't want to concern themselves with all the new minerals and complex smelting procedures and just want the new metals.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

Well not everything has to be an unholy pack of every moneral ever made ever. Simplicity can be good if done right.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pyrorex:
<STRONG>Well not everything has to be an unholy pack of every moneral ever made ever. Simplicity can be good if done right.</STRONG>

Ie: my smurf mod!!!!

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

Dude, I'm the guy who made the Simplicity mod.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

Unmodded dwarf fortress has a nice, simple progression of possible "weapon" metals. Copper -> Bronze -> Iron -> Steel -> Adamantine.

My only goal was to add another level after Steel that was a "real" (or real-ish, since I know exactly JACK about metallurgy), but before the mystical, rare Adamantine.

I really don't see the point in adding a dozen or more new weapon metals. Probably there's no real point in adding even one more, since in a low-tech world, steel is pretty freakin' awesome. But hey, I wanted the "next" item in the progression, and I figured Titanium was too cheesy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

If you try to speak about "reality", titanium is definitely not the case ^_^.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

Well yeah, the vanilla DF progression of "wood->copper->bronze->iron->steel->adamantine" is quite simple and understandable. But there's this here thing called "flavor". In a sandbox game like DF, flavor is crucial. Sometimes you need something obscurely rare, so that you could devote your life to finding it. Adamantine, by all possible means, isn't rare. It's dangerous to obtain and powerful, that much is true, but it's present under every sufficiently large rock. Currently, anyway.
Now take the recent Agakium and Uristium metals I added to the mod. Barring the worst names I've ever come up with, these metals are pretty good. But what's important here is that they're just plain rare and expensive. Platinum isn't altogether common, and there's only a fraction of a chance that one nugget will be laced with the presence of these. However, you need a lot of such nuggets to make bars of the metals, and the resulting price is high not only because you're smelting away near perfectly good platinum for them, but also because of the sheer rarity. I say that's a perfectly good material to try and obtain. Less effective than adamantine, by far, but preciuos nevertheless.

Pages: [1] 2