Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The basic races (WIP graphics)  (Read 2794 times)

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The basic races (WIP graphics)
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

Hey, I absolutly love the game, and with the graphic tiles It really hits my spot!

Anyway... I noticed that the different races were done in different styles, and their height didnt make much sense to me. Therfor... I decided to have a go at making my own graphics set.

now what I would like to ask you all is... What do you think about them? how do they look? are they readable? (can you tell which is which?)

What im planning to do is make all of the basic races into a complete set. (so that you'd be able to play a human settlement with the same amount of detph in the character tiles as you'd play a dwarven fortress)

edit: oh And would you like to see this set completed? or would you prefer to see these tiles altered before I move on?

[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: Talvara ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The basic races (WIP graphics)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:31:00 am »

The elves need a bit more distinction from the humans. Otherwise, good looking tiles. Finally a set that tries to respect height difference.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

I Added another shade to the hair, Made the goblins bald and the kobolts eyes reflect a bit of red light (oeeeh evil)

I also looked at the elf-human thing. theres not that much pixels to work with (im sure all spriters that made graphics for DF have seen this :P) but I tried to make their eyebrows less... steep. and their clothes more "Gracious". The head was pushed a pixel more to the right to make their pose less simular from the humans.

(bottom row ones are new, top row ones are old)

Also I have a question. Is it possible to use different tiles for males and females? (I always found it a little disturbing that all my female dwarfs had beards.) I already saw it works based on the profession of the dwarf. is there a way to add in gender aswell?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

To answer your questions; no, you cannot have male/female distinctions for tile graphics (yet). Besides- Dwarfettes have beards! Who told you otherwise?!

Anyway, I love the set- It's about 60-70 times better than mine.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

I dunno, seems like a lot of squintage might go on.

That was always my problem with graphics instead of characters. The tiles just seem too small to have any kind of detail and distinction. U, E and a little smiley face you can reconize at a glance, and colors are just as easy.

I like how they look, I just doubt their usefulness in Fortress Mode.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

They look good, although as others say they can be hard to tell the difference between the 3 friendly races. The trick for graphics sets is to go for bright colours and high contrast, so that even at a glance it remains easy to tell the races apart. I love the kobolds and goblins though.

Are you planning to add in graphics for the different professions though? If you are it should give you ample chances to make each individual race stand out more.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

Er, wait, now I look and am confused. Which is which? Is the elf the leftmost icon? The extended ear thing seems to point at that, but wouldn't the slimmer graphic actually be more suiting for elves?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Er, wait, now I look and am confused. Which is which? Is the elf the leftmost icon? The extended ear thing seems to point at that, but wouldn't the slimmer graphic actually be more suiting for elves?</STRONG>

You know what I think ure right, So I beefed up the humies a little.

Broader head, Bigger chest, wider shoulders. short story, he went to the gym.
is this more of what you have in mind? Sadly I cant do much more on the height. (16 pixels is really limiting >.< ) so elves and humans will just have to be the same height.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramirez:
<STRONG>They look good, although as others say they can be hard to tell the difference between the 3 friendly races. The trick for graphics sets is to go for bright colours and high contrast, so that even at a glance it remains easy to tell the races apart. I love the kobolds and goblins though.

Are you planning to add in graphics for the different professions though? If you are it should give you ample chances to make each individual race stand out more. </STRONG>

Yeah im planning to make all the professions for each race. which also means that I dont have alot of room for outfit colours since I want them to represent the colours of the game (ex. Miners dark gray, masons white, woodworkers yellow)
See these sprites as the "base sprites"

Contrasting colours is great to note differences at a glance but on the outfits it wont be an option. I think the dwarves stand out enough with their short, stubby and stout posture. so im happy with the dwarves goblins and kobolts (feel  free to change my mind tough!) The elves and humans are pretty simular, both in heigt and colour which makes it harder to tell them apart at a quick glance. I already tried to throw in some colour contrast with the hair. but Upping the contrast on these might be a good idea.

The very left one has unaltered hair,the very right has human/dwarf coloured hair. Is any of these better?

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Talvara:
<STRONG>Made the goblins bald and the kobolts eyes reflect a bit of red light (oeeeh evil) </STRONG>
Kobolds aren't evil, they're misunderstood. Just ask Armok.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Kobolds aren't evil, they're misunderstood. Just ask Armok.</STRONG>

Their eyes aren't even red. They're yellow. Raid a kobold cave in adventure mode and you'll see. Goblins do have red eyes, however.

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

Im slowly trying to work out the different professions, first just 1 for the basic professions like woodworker, or crafts(dwarf/goblin/man/elf/kobolt) and later more detailed professions like Woodcutter, carpenter etc.

Im posting these to give everybody a chance to point out mistakes. and to make suggestions.

Cheers.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 06:08:00 am »

They are really nice, but the professions may be hard to recognise.

My only suggestion for now: Use the original color profiles for professions and try to make the colors contrast, it will help a lot.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:31 am »

I would recommend using, for profession graphics, colours as a distinctive point for the profession; then, make the outfits quite different for every race. That helps add distinction. Besides, would elvish miners, if such existed, really dress the same as dwarven ones?
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:14:37 am »

I want to see what the elvish woodcutters look like.  Or is that them in the yellow?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 06:06:02 am »

You could try adding letters or icons to one corner to denote their profession, or a square of the color that DF makes them, might help distinguish professions, besides little additions to make them different to look at. These look beautiful though.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?
Pages: [1] 2