Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shielding  (Read 915 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Shielding
« on: April 02, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

Is there any way to make a shield block hits from the side or back?
And what do BLOCKPOWER and UPSTEP do exactly?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shielding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

There's a side and back now?
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Yeah, apparently it's possible to whack a dude from the rear. Even in adventurer, you'll occasionally get a message that you sliced someone in the back.

Never could figure it out though.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

From looking at the wiki:

BLOCKPOWER determines the effectiveness of the armor. Haven't seen anything which lists actual algorithms so you'll have to experiment to see what results different values have.

UPSTEP makes the armor protect "higher" body parts than the one it's equipped on. Basically, DF creatures' bodies are hierarchically constructed - it starts with the upper body, the lower body is connected to the upper body, the upper legs are connected to the lower body, etc., etc.. UPSTEP makes armor protect stuff higher up in that hierarchy - UPSTEP:1 will make a buckler (equipped on the hand) protect the hand and the lower arm, UPSTEP:2 will protect those and the upper arm, UPSTEP:3 will protect those and the upper body. LB_STEP does the same thing, but going down the hierarchy instead.

And heck if I know about facing.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

If I remember correctly, the way it works is when you fight someone, you become more focused and effective in the direction you are attacking/being attacked from.  I think.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.