Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Middle Earth Mod - release 3.1  (Read 20070 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Mod - release 3.1
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2008, 06:48:56 am »

The megabeast thing is most likely a bug. I was confident my size:500, damblock:1000 megabeast could survive worldgen any number of times (and it did 5000 years once) until yesterday when I genned a world where even it died in year 88.

I won't doubt this is on the to-do list for Toady.

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:02 pm »

Deon,

Here's a list of some maps I generated using default parameters and the following sizes and seeds, along with their results:

Large

1111111111 - "The Cyclopian Dimension," freezes at year 74, tried twice
1234567890 - "The Cycolpean Realm," freezes at year 50
4294967295 - "The Universe of Omens," freezes at year 71
3333333333 - "The Domain of Portents," freezes at year 26

Medium

1111111111 - "The Cyclopian Dimension," generates fine
1234567890 - "The Cyclopian Realm," freezes at year 4
4294967295 - "The Universe of Omens," generates fine
3333333333 - "The Domain of Portents," freezes at year 2

I have a dual-core 3.0 ghz Intel processor, and it doesn't matter how long I let the game run, there is no progress from these years on. Hope this helps!

[edit]
Finally got a decent-length gen with megabeasts still alive by adding 100 mountain caves and 800 other caves. I started playing Dwarf Fortress mode, and everything was going fine until the merchants arrived. The dwarf and wizard merchants headed to the depot and waited to trade with me, but the Nazgul merchants proceeded to destroy my front door, still, trade depot,  carpenter's workshop, the living quarters of three dwarves, and mason's workshop before I saved and exited. Is there any way to force my 7 dwarves to attack them? I think they're just going to continue through my fortress and destroy everything now, because they supposedly departed for their journey before destroying the third living quarters and the mason's workshop (neither of which were on their way out), and they seem to be moving slowly inward. I'm enjoying the theme, but this is a bit of a gamebreaker. Did my massive number of caves create a Nazgul civilization, or were they there already?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:03:52 pm by knowbuddyuno »

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2008, 08:49:44 am »

Deon,

This is my personal favorite mod, just an amazing amount of work.  I am struggling with how to tweek it to work correctly with a newer dwarf fortress version (39e/f). To start with I am trying to identify exactly what dulipcate creature entries are causing the deadly boil silk, do you happen to recall which ones?
(Using Middle Earth Mod 3.1) 
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »

Dear jnecros.
I'm currently burrowing with my head in Fallout mod of mine.
I haven't updated this mod for a while (it didn't draw enough attention and there weren't a lot of side ideas but mine) and currently I'm busy with a lot of ideas on .:Fallout:. Mod the community gives me.

But I will return to this mod to check your problems a bit later.
Are you sure you're getting duplicate entries? Are they listed in /df folder/errorlog.txt ?
I thought  I removed errors.
If there're no duplicate entries errors there then it means that I forgot to set silk temperature on some creatures and it requires a deeper digging.

I should add ethics and stuff to allow it to be playable in the last versions.
It's not that long so I'll look into it in a day or two.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SlyXN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2012, 06:25:06 am »

I am bumping this topic because I would really like to see an update!

MiguelMO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:51 am »

I am bumping this topic because I would really like to see an update!

I'm with you. I'd really like to try this mod. It seems to be very nice.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2012, 10:43:00 am »

Somehow I doubt there will be an update because of a 4 year necro..

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2012, 11:06:42 am »

But Deon lives, and this is his work. But yes I doubt it, due to the major conversion needed to bring it back. I've been looking at the anvernum Mod made by haspen? but it's old 40d, so for  me to port that to 34.11+ would require quite a bit of work

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

OK. NO. I'm seeing that this is what....... 4 years old? I wasn't even on this forum then. But if you guys are going to bring this back, I'm in.

You guys need a LOTR nut for your lore. I am happy to oblige, and I will (try) not bog you down with too many details.
First, how are we setting this? Is this going to be worldgenned from the Third Age? Or the First? The third age being famous for the war of the rings and the like, and the first age being famous for other stuff that is too complicated to post. I'm going to fix the travesties that are already posted here.

1: Werewolves were created by Melkor during the first age. Sauron was one of his Lieutenants at the time. If this is set any time after that, then there are no werebeasts left in the world. Even then it's incinuated that they were rare, and only one is ever mentioned specifically.

2: There are in fact two distinct civilizations of elves in LOTR. There are the Sindarin elves, like Legolas, and there are the Noldor, like Galadriel or Elrond. They count each other as kin, but are seperate.

3: Not all men in LOTR are descendants of Numenoreans. In fact MOST of them are not, the only ones that are by the War of the Ring is the Dunedain and the line of Stewards in Gondor (Denethor, Faramir, Boromir etc.).  Men didn't come from Numenor originally, they were awarded the Isle by the Valar.

4: There are only 5 wizards in Middle-Earth. Anywhere. Ever in all history. There are also sorcerors who have learned dark secrets from Melkor or Sauron, such as the Witch-King, but they are not wizards. The extent of the wizards' power is never clearly defined, but they clearly have powers beyond what they are allowed to use.

5: There are multiple breeds of orc. If fact, Saruman's Uruk-Hai are their own breed, being merged with men, that he either rediscovered or invented. They are different from Sauron's Uruks in that they can better tolerate the sun, and are taller and more muscular.

I could go on all day. I'm also willing to help develop this in 34.11.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

A 0.28 mod, eh? Yipes. This will need a near-total rewrite.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:22 pm »

I am down with being part of this. I need a project.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »

Hmm... You any good at modding? Cause then you might need a modder to work with. I would offer, but my hands are full as is. Sorry

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »

I'm no Putnam, but give me tasks and I'll see what I can do. I've modded in working civs before, namely dnd-esque elves and dark elves. I can mod new creatures, new materials, entities... I can handle basic syndromes, and most importantly I could do some sprites if I must. I've dabbled slightly in altering reactions too.

Give me some tasks, whoever wants to run this.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2012, 09:04:31 pm »

You have more know how on LoTR I personally prefer LoTR goblins and Orcs (Uruk-Hai).

If you can, DL this and use it as a base. Then copy/convert 34.11 creatures and objects and mold them to resemble the old Middle Earth. Like I said earlier, when ever I need a break from my Mod(s) I will probally try and resurrect that mentioned mod.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »

It'll probably be easier to start from scratch. I have.... questionable organization skills. Don't put me in charge =)

Tell you what, I'll get to work making men. But first, we need to decide: Are we starting at year one in LOTR and genning from there? Or are we starting in the Third Age?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6