Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Middle Earth Mod - release 3.1  (Read 20071 times)

iamahorse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Mod - release 3.1
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 06:57:15 pm »

Erm >.> I know this may seem rather noobish of me, but how do I get the graphic files to work? I get the normal ASCI or whatever it is called whenever I run the game.

EDIT:

Nevermind, after a minute of searching I found out how (and I feel like an idiot).

Great mod! /praise
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:01:23 pm by iamahorse »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 07:34:48 pm »

Do you mean you didn't switch it on in /data/init/init.txt? It's not that stupid, I've got this question by myself when I encountered it for the 1st time so there's no need to swear at yourself.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 10:40:13 pm »

Hey Deon,

First, I want to say that this a very good mod that I enjoy a lot.

Second, I have problems trying to generate a medium sized world (with default worldgen settings). It seems to get stuck after 10 to 20 years. Maybe a bug report is in order. But I want to confirm if you can replicate this bug.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 05:44:12 am »

Couple questions mate.

Since I downloaded the mod the game has a tendency to simply freeze and not respond when I try to make a new world.

Also, I keep getting an error why I try to play with a pre-existing world that says FATAL ERROR Missing Item Definition: ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE

Whats that about?

Edit - Hrm. Seemed to have fixed it myself. Will keep posted if it happens again.

Edit Edit - No trolls in adventure mode? le' sad v.v
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:35:10 am by Zargen »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 05:32:18 am »

Really? I'm gonna look into it.
I'm sure I made them avaliable, I'll look into it when I go home :/.

Zemat, Zargen, are you sure that the game actually "freezes"? For my dual core 2500 processor it takes sometimes about 10 minutes in some phases because of a large amount of wars/important creatures which is caused by a big amount of races.
I successfully generated a maximum sized world with 300/400 usual/mountain caves, however it took a long time at the "initializing" stage. I remember myself playing football on the street while it happened :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:11 pm »

Maybe that's what is. Although, ironically, I have been able to generate large worlds with your mod with pauses that don't take more than 2 minutes. With medium sized worlds the pauses can go for 15+ min (when I decide to kill the app). I'll try again to see how it goes.

Neoptolemus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2008, 09:02:41 am »

Has anyone else had a problem with megabeasts dying much faster than vanilla DF? I normally have my megabeast death percentage set to 80, and in vanilla DF it usually takes 300-500 years to reach that threshold, but with the ME mod every beast had died by year 50. It's not the end of the world, but I prefer having a much longer history but with some megabeasts still left alive as a challenge.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth Mod - release 2.99b test ver.
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 05:12:59 pm »

Is there anyone who knows some good english-tolkien languages dictionaries?
i have a couple and I'm making a sindarin language file, but I can't find the "armor" word anywhere.

I just picked up my copy of The Silmarillion and it has a quite large dictionary in the back. You learn something every day. While looking up the word for armor, I found that there are indeed werewolves. The proper word is "gaur."

Ah, forget it. The Silmarillion seems to have an incomplete dictionary. I found "thol" (o has a carat (^) above it), which means helm, but found nothing for armor.

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 08:39:37 pm »

I'm also having worldgen problems. The game likes to freeze in the first 20 years, often by year 8. I've done this 15+ times, and so far have only had 3 successful gens, all of which ended before year 50.

[edit]
I left the gen going for an hour to see if it just took a while to progress. Still stuck at year 2.
Could it be that I'm trying to use .39e? I'll try rolling back, see if it helps.

[edit]
Ok, so I'm still having the worldgen problems. They're less pronounced when I create a medium world than with large worlds, but it seems to be an all-or-nothing affair. Either the worldgen works fine, or it doesn't get beyond year 20 before freezing. Is it possible that one of the civilizations is causing the freeze, and that in certain medium maps, that civilization isn't spawned?

Also, the only civilization that I can play seems to be dunadain. I can be from multiple dunadain civilizations, but no other races. Is this intentional, or is there something I need to do to be able to play every civilization? I'm very excited about this mod, and hoping to play it soon.

[edit]
Ok, I'm an idiot. I can only play dwarves, not dunadain. I saw the "#" symbol and assumed it was human. Both civilizations I can pick from on my present map are dwarven. No one else is selectable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:31:18 pm by knowbuddyuno »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2008, 11:52:01 am »

The first post says right in it "// not in 3.0, there's dwarven fortress mode only until the buglist=0"

Assuming that's still the case, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:12 pm »

Ah, I understand. I had thought that is meant that you could only play fortress mode, not that you are limited to dwarves. My fault for misinterpreting. Was my report of worldgen freezing also erroneous, or is that a legitimate bug? I'm also seeing the same issue Neoptolemus noticed with megabeasts dying very quickly. I have the worldgen stopping at 99% megabeast death, and I've had one map make it to year 71.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:41 am »

It's a nice mod, but why are you people complaining about megabeasts dieing in a mod thread, it happens even without mods.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:58 am »

Because they die way faster in this mod than in vanilla.

I think they need to be beefed up a little.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31:48 pm »

I added some pretty nasty buggers to my latest MA mod. I think I might still be able to kill them someday, but the adamantine golems and steel horrors I made quite frequently survive past 200.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:06 am »

Hey Sean, advertising here? :)

knowbuddyuno
Which settings do you use? Can you provide a "freezing seed"?
Try to make more caves, I will try to make megabeasts stronger.
Actually you can turn the fortress mode for others on, but I left dwarves for now because I use cities for most creatures (to buy weapons in adventure mode) so it's hard to understand whom are you going to pick while you're embarking (and also other races are not "unique" enough for me).

So if you can give me "seeds" I'll give it to Toady to look at if I have no reasons for crashes (and if he has a time for it).

Sadly I have a russian Silmarillion version without a dictionary =(.  Could you put in the internet some scans? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6