Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damascus steel mod  (Read 1010 times)

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damascus steel mod
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

This is my first attempt at a mod, and I wanted to get some opinions on it. Specifically, whether or not the rarity and effort of Damascus is balanced against its value and power. The mod can be found on my user page.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damascus steel mod
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Seems much easier to make than steel, and more powerful to boot. So probably a little too good.

Also: Why make nuggets instead of going directly to bars? The only effect it has gameplay-wise is 1) consumes more fuel (if not using a magma smelter) 2) takes more time 3) allows you to make damascus mugs. That last, of course, being a priceless opportunity, but I'm not quite certain it justifies that addition.

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damascus steel mod
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

Can you also make mugs out of native platinum? Anyway, the point was to make it a little more involved (like standard steel) and to follow the real-life process a little more closely. Any suggestions on how to make this a bit more difficult to produce without simply making it extremely rare?

I could make it where you combine 1 black and 1 white hematite with glass and charcoal to produce 2 damascus, but black hematite is already very rare. I'm not sure you'd ever find both on one map the way I have things at the moment.

Edit: I could try to add some other reactions that produced something like clay pots that would be required to make damascus, but I'm not sure how well that'd work, and if the pots had no other use, it wouldn't be all that interesting.

[ May 01, 2008: Message edited by: ArchMageOmega ]