Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans and Trade?  (Read 910 times)

Kantolin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www2.hawaii.edu/~nurbert/Webpagejunk/KantolinEntry.htm
Caravans and Trade?
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Hm. I was attempting to make a new race that would come with their own caravan.  For the purpose of making a quick template, I copy/pasted 'elves', renamed the copy 'orcs', gave them a creature_new (Which was also blatantly elves), and changed their 'active time' to winter.  I figured that I'd make sure it worked first, then later go back and change them so elves and orcs aren't the same.

They showed up on the 'nearby civilizations' list, but after two years, they didn't show up (While elves did).  They were second on the 'nearby civilization' list (I believe it was Dwarves, Orcs, Elves, Goblins, Humans)

Thus, I tried removing elves entirely by first resetting the raws, then simply replacing the word 'elf', 'elves', and 'elven' and with 'orc', 'orcs', and 'orcish' in both entity_default and creature_standard.  This resulted in orcs not even showing up on the 'nearby civilizations' list.

I turned off invaders for the purposes of these tests - could that have changed it?  What exactly am I doing wrong?  Can new races simply not bring caravans?

Mild Edit for Clarification: By 'caravans', I mostly mean 'trading of any sort' - if the orcs would come without a big caravan but would still show up, I wouldn't mind that.  Also, in case this is a potential random variable, each time I changed the raws, I utilized the 'create new world' function and started on a new map.

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Kantolin ]

eginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it''s a coincidence
~ Final Fantasy Tactics

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans and Trade?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

Some things are hardcoded (like kobold language), but I believe this isn't the case. Granted, I've never seen any of my new races bring caravans, but that's because most of them prefer to show up to steal and kill.

Also, I thought elves didn't bring caravans? Humans did, I think dwarves did since recent versions, but elves only use small wagons...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kantolin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www2.hawaii.edu/~nurbert/Webpagejunk/KantolinEntry.htm
Re: Caravans and Trade?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

Er, by 'caravan' I meant mostly 'trading of any sort'.

Also, as one more potential random factor, each time I made any modifications to the raws, I also utilized the 'create new world' function and started playing on a new map.

Mrr.  I suppose I could just make unfriendly races, but I'd like there to be one new friendly race trading in the winter (Although at this point, I'd accept either replacing elves in the spring, or giving elves competition).

Edit: Edited the original post with this information, as it's probably helpful information in solving the problem

eginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it''s a coincidence
~ Final Fantasy Tactics