Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few things I've learned about civs  (Read 768 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
A few things I've learned about civs
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Just a few notes that I figured I'd put down about modding civs. Some of you will know this already, but hopefully it'll be useful for someone

Active Season: Normally, you have Elves in the Spring, Humans in the Summer, and Dwarves in the Fall. You can have additional races show up for trading by giving them the AUTUMN and WINTER seasons. You will get another race show up with the dwarves to trade in the fall. Yes, two can trade at exactly the same time, the game gives you the option of which merchants you want to trade with when you say trade.

I've also discovered that races will go to very long distances to trade. I had a race I'd set up to only live in the tundra and glaciers and set to trade in the winter. I'd have them show up to trade even in the tropics. Long trek.

Evil races: You can only have one active. The BABYSNATCHER tag has them both try to snatch children and send out ambush parties. If you do not have this tag, they will just start sieging as soon as they'd normally start sending in baby snatchers. Adds an interesting challenge to the game and makes defense a priority. I've had a siege as early as the first winter. Thank goodness for locked doors.

Giving an evil race the AMBUSHER tag will make them do a somewhat sneaky siege. You still get the message saying a force of vile darkness has arrived, but they start off hidden. So you don't get any advance warning of where they are. I'm not sure yet if they will walk to your fort without being discovered or not. I do know that once you find them, they march on your fort and attack.

[ March 31, 2008: Message edited by: Mephansteras ]

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: A few things I've learned about civs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

That's handy, thanks for doing the work.  I can use this for the possible zombie mod (among other things).

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few things I've learned about civs
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

If you're using a pre-existing creature, make sure they have [INTELLIGENT] or at least [CAN_CIV].

Not doing so will lead to some real buggy behavior, some of which can crash the game.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster