Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Glass Beds Mod Finished. Glass Mod version 1.2 Ideas ar  (Read 4415 times)

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Beds Mod Finished. Glass Mod version 1.2 Ideas ar
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 04:30:00 am »

*facepalms* Right, right. I didn't read that last line very carefully above your [REACTION], there.

And to make rough glass stone work, I'd probably have to make a mineral matgloss for it first, or it wouldn't show up for use later. (Still testing this.)

[ May 07, 2008: Message edited by: Sparksol ]

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:00 am »

You could try just making a stone that's "made" out of green glass.  A chunk of granite is just a stone (object) that's made out of granite (material).

Sure, it's a bit hacky, but if you can make plump helmet anvils you can make green glass boulders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

First I guess Ill deal with your previous question... of what gems first...
How about you start with the most common precious: Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, and Saphire (though I never got any of those in game.. except Blood Ruby I THINK)
Note: Id personally would really like Quartz to be first... afterall Quartz does come from Sandstone, so it is in part a natural glass.

Next: Alright though probably impossible...

How about Sugar Glass (I hope that is spelled right... either that or Suger Glass... but that doesn't look right)? You could eat it, AND build with it. But it melts at relatively low temperatures. (may be a tad silly...)

Next: Alright time for realistic suggestions
-Prisms added to Glass Crafts (as in it is a possible outcome when making glass crafts)
-Some form of Prism Glass? makes Prismatic or Rainbow objects?
-Add: "With *Insert Glass type* Sparkles" (or Sparkels... hmmm I never spelled that word before...) as a possible artifact addition AND "Sparkle" as a possible form of embedding... It may not be the proper term... it involves crushing glass and using the glass dust/sand to make a object look more sparkly.
-Mirror as a glass material... Requires Silver and Crystal Glass to create (I think this is already added to your mod or suggested though)

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

I have a new update uploaded. This is my first time making creatures, so if you find any errors, please let me know. I also removed the weapons values for the 3 strong glasses, as I have added weapons grade glass and glass metals that can easily take the place. It was just cluttering up the forge. I added a cheap way of making barrels and bins, or if you want you can just take the strong glasses and make the bins and barrels at the forge. The creature doesn't use a standerd body, so this mod can still be easily used with other mods.

It is I who should apologize, as I worded my statement wrong. I was talking about the process of making sand into glass at the glass smelter. But still I have not seen the no_matgloss part before. If I had a reaction with a product like this
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
would it create a random metal?

I will see about making a stone out of glass. If I can it will be in the next update.

I will see about making the diamond, emerald, ruby, saphire, and quartz beds, though considering that this is a glass mod, it will require glass of some sort to be added in, possibly as the frame for the bed.
Sugar glass would be intresting, should I manage to get it to work, but don't hold your breath for it, as there are other things that would be easier and more important to get working.
I haven't added any new glass crafts so prisms would make an exelent addition. Unforchently I can't make multicolored items, so all it would be is a craft.
I could make sparkles as a dye, but I haven't the slightest idea how that would work.
Mirrors would be good to add, but how would I add them? I thought that I might be able to mod statues, but it looks like they are hardcoded. I could do something like creating a mirror glass bar, and then you just build a statue with it and then it would be called a mirror glass statue. You would also have mirror glass crafts as well... Let me know if this is what you had in mind when you made your suggestion.

[ May 07, 2008: Message edited by: Dragromblue ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000642">Glass Bed Mod, perfect for those desert maps where wood can be difficult to get.
Glass goodies abound, so now you can download my Glass Mod to get a complete co

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

Perhaps I didn;t explain well: I USUALLY use blocks in my mods, because of their size.  By 'this is how 'raw green glass' is refered to in the raws', I meant the code I had posted below it.  Also, though glass is not coded as a gem, it works for all intensive purposes as I had shown.  The same holds for stone.  This may sound silly, but I use without error similar code to produce regular rough stone out of glass, but do not need a reference in the stone raws.  You could do it that way, but not all things 'stone' need to be hard coded.  Just as one can make a reaction that makes a 'barrel' out of glass, one can make a 'stone' out of glass, because green glass, and clear glass, and crystal glass, act more like a material types (examples of material components: wood, stone, green glass, metal), not as a specific type of that component (examples of specific components: bronze, gold, nickel silver).  So the following works:

[REACTION:STONE_GLASS_GREEN]
[NAME:make green glass stone]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

producing a 'stone' made of 'green glass' just as one can make a 'barrel' out of 'green glass'.  Stone is just the form, and green glass the specific material.

Since this thread started, I had revamped my method from my super-cluttered creation of each item individually at the forge, to a less specific material-type method.  This is the code I use for green glass, producing for me stone (which I like because I get infinite stone for catapults), thread (you don't need to go through the plant stage), and logs (so I can still make green glass beds):

[REACTION:BARREL_GLASS_GREEN]
[NAME:make green glass logs]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

[SMELTER]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:FIBER_GLASS_GREEN]
[NAME:make green fiber glass]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

Again, because green glass is like a hard-coded material type, like 'wood' and 'metal', one can make reference to it very generally, as shown.  The above fiber, for example, tells the program 'any blocks so long as they are made of green glass', which is... green glass blocks.  And it makes an item of the apropriate type, in this case a thread.  I used to have 'BED' or 'BARREL' or 'BUCKET' where 'THREAD' is, and it made my items specifically.  Again, now I can make the logs and make those items from them ^.^

Ironically, the fact that I never corrected the error in the name of my glass logs, BARREL_GLASS_GREEN, it has never broken my game.  Unfortunately, I now can't change the name of the reaction, fearing that it may harm my current fortress.  So I leave it as is: what the game calls it when refering to it's own files doesn't matter so long as it works perfectly in play.

(Note: edit was to correct a critical typo)

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 04:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>
[SMELTER]
[FUEL]

producing a 'stone' made of 'green glass' just as one can make a 'barrel' out of 'green glass'.  Stone is just the form, and green glass the specific material.</STRONG>

I tried something this, and the stones ended up not being usable when I tried to make mechanisms and doors from the stone glass, although it worked fine for buildings, rough roads, and catapults. Did I forget something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

quote:
I could do something like creating a mirror glass bar, and then you just build a statue with it and then it would be called a mirror glass statue.

This is what I really had in mind

Also for anything Multicolored... Purple is a safe color

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

No, you probably input it just fine.  Unfirtunately, I too just learned of the flaw in my new code just now.  While yes it will produce stone that, in testing, worked just fine for my purposes at the time, I could not get it to be automatically used for things, like mechanism making: when called for, it isn't considered viable stone by the dwarves, it seems.

I had a further oversite: while I was so glad I could successfully make lots of thread out of glass, I was presumptuous: I did not test weaving it.  To make thread into cloth, it is either 'weave thread into cloth' or 'weave thread into silk'.  The former looks for plant materials, the latter looks for animal materials ('silk' type), and my thread doesn't count as either, being 'green glass' type.  Though I haven't tried it, I assume the same problem would be inherent when one attempts to take a green glass cloth and make anything out of it: the game only allows one to 'construct silk bag' 'construct plant cloth bag' and 'construct leather bag'.  Unfortunately, my thread does not count as any of these.  I am going to try making 'fiber glass silk' that will be a silk made of green glass, but I am not, now, so hopeful.  Perhaps the most likely way to do it will indeed be to make a metal 'green glass' and have it a thread metal.  I WILL have 'green glass bag's!

I still need to test logs, but I think that you guys were more correct then I when doing things like making rock named 'green glass' and a plant that makes green glass thread, instead of making rock and thread.  By doing so, you got around problems such as those that I am finding in my own work.

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

By making a plant called green glass that has no biome, I can then trasfer the matgloss to plant with a thread and not have it mess up. Here is what I use.

[REACTION:Create_Green_Glass_Cloth]
[NAME:Create_Green_Glass_Cloth]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STRONG_GREEN_GLASS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GREEN_GLASS]
[FUEL]

Because I have a plant called green glass, this will create a cloth that is called green glass, but will act like a plant cloth. I have been thinking that it should go to a thread, but I have not experimented with threads yet.

As for wood I did something simmilar.

[REACTION:Create_Green_Glass_Log]
[NAME:Create_Green_Glass_Log]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STRONG_GREEN_GLASS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:GREEN_GLASS_TREE]

By having it as a wood, then it will act like wood with a different name.

With no biomes on either, they will never appear outside of being created by you.
I would think that it would require having a stone matgloss for green glass to be used as a stone.
I think this is because nothing referances the green glass matgloss when considering a stone, so you have to turn the glass into a stone matgloss, then it would be a stone with a glass name.

Here is the other stuff that I think you need to get the plant and wood to work

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:GREEN_GLASS]
[TILE:231][COLOR:2:0:0]
[NAME:Green Glass][NAME_PLURAL:Green Glasses]
[VALUE:10]
[THREAD]

[MATGLOSS_WOOD:GREEN_GLASS_TREE]
[NAME:Green_Glass_Tree][ADJ:Green_Glass_Tree]
[TILE:5]
[SOLID_DENSITY:50]

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Dragromblue ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000642">Glass Bed Mod, perfect for those desert maps where wood can be difficult to get.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

That is elegent, and I thank you for it!
Implementing into my own files now a similar system.

Unfortunately since aesthetics are my goal, and I cannot find a way to change log color for trees (I assume they will still be brown), I am going to use a metal named green glass for barrels and buckets... but that means I still can't make green glass beds, so I am reverting to the old way for that one, single item, of producing a green glass bed from a block at the smelter.

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 02:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>Unfortunately since aesthetics are my goal, and I cannot find a way to change log color for trees (I assume they will still be brown), I am going to use a metal named green glass for barrels and buckets... but that means I still can't make green glass beds, so I am reverting to the old way for that one, single item, of producing a green glass bed from a block at the smelter.</STRONG>

We seem to have similar goals here. I'll post if I find something worth mentioning in this regard.

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Added glitter glass as a gem
added 4 gem glass beds, which uses the large gems. I didn't add quartz as there are 3 different types of them and none of them are just called quartz. I made them simmilar to my royal beds, but these use less crystal glass and uses the color of gems.
added prisms as a toy because I couldn't find crafts.
added prism glass.
added stone glass
added greater and lesser mirror metals. Greater mirror metal requires crystal glass and silver, while the lesser requires clear glass.

Asthetics are very important in a mod such as this. I have tried to create many different types of beds which can use different colors. With the addition of gem beds, I will be adding many additional colors.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

From my errorlog after installing this mod: Unrecognized Metal Token: LIGHT_MAGENTA_GLASS
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

Ok. I fixed it and uploaded the fixed version. If you don't want to download it again, just look for prism glass in my custom reaction raw file and paste this over it.

[REACTION:Create_Prism_Glass]
[NAME:Create_Prism_Glass]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:GEM:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:LARGE_GREEN_GLASS]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:METAL_DYE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PRISM_GLASS]
[FUEL]

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

That was quick!  Thanks for the fast response, and I have another concern.  This may be a bug better reported to Toady, but I can't cut raw clear glass.  It doesn't show up on the jeweler's workshop screen.  Is this a known bug?  Is there a known fix?  I can't recall ever being able to do this, now that I think of it.  Perhaps I'll edit the custom raws to accept raw clear glass, although that'll make it MUCH easier to get.

Green glass works fine, but I had a balance concern with it.  It seems that green iron glass is not as strong as iron, but one bar of glass and one bar of iron make one bar of iron glass.  Is this intentional?  It would make more sense to me if the reaction made two bars, making your iron go further, albeit with each bar being inferior.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4