Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: ••• Utilii Stillarii ••  (Read 5166 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
••• Utilii Stillarii ••
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

•••Utilii Stillarii•••

INSTALL ON CLEAN COPY OF DF

ver. 011 - Ironwood is added. This tree can be processed in smelter to become a "hardened ironwood" - a sharp stone suitable for making weapons (like obsidian).

These small features/changes are incorporated to change the vanilla game to something more flavoured and comfortable without turning the game into buggy thing.

Components:

• Ironwood: hardened in smelter to become a "hardened ironwood" sharp rock, you can make weapons with it in craftsdwarf workshop.
• Alchemy mod: Various smelter reactions (new alloys and methods). Check alchemy mod thread for more info.
• Animal packs: wild animals now travel in larger packs. For additional challenge which isn't present when there's no more than 1 lion around.
• Megabeast values: bronze colossus now drops solargent bronze statue which have value > than iron, thus ironmen are no longer more pofitting than colossi. Dragon now drops on death 1 bar of dragon scale cluster, which can be processed into 10 dragon scale bars in smelter, it's almost as good as adamantine (400% vs. adamantine's 500%).
• Real stone weapons: Axes, hammers and spears (imagine stone spearheads) now can be made of stone at {craftsdwarf's workshop}.
• Flavoured text: Combined by Umiman community edition, it expands enemies' threats (in adv. mode) and adds a lot of new engravings.
• Body armor tweak: a scalemail (less armor/weight than chainmail) which can be created from shells too and a cuirass (less area protection than platemail) which can be crafted from bone.
• Naked Enemies: Goblins now wear armor only, no more socks/pants/thongs to ruin our hauling jobs/processor time. Kobolds are naked.
• Rock salt mod: Rock salt mineral can be processed in the smelter to gain rock salt chunks which can be milled at quern into salt powder.
• Bodies changed: now many creatures have their bodies more detailed. One of the important features of the Martial Arts Mod by Sean Mirrsen. Dwarves with beards and Giant cave spiders with hydroskeleton (and thus they can die of blood loss if you pierce them many times in different parts).
• Fanciful creatures: fanciful creatures now have custom bodies (they had none) and attack tags. The centaur is renamed into centauri king.
• Additional creatures: some new temperate area and cave creatures were added (cave worms, treasure chests, centauri, badgers, forest spirits) to differentiate encounters (for those who got tired of mass wolfs/bears)
• Economic stones: by Sean Mirrsen allows every stone to be toggled on/off for usage in the stone menu ('Z' -> stone). Optional (but highly recommended for crafting control) file -  reaction_all_economic.txt.
• Threats: New threats for named enemies, compiled by Umiman. They were made by community.

Installation:
Download the ZIP file. Look into archive and you'll see various folders.
Put the folders in your Dwarf Fortress main folder, overwriting same names.
Make sure to install on clean copy of DF.

DOWNLOAD MODPACK

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: ••• Utilii Stillarii ••
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

Consider this thread as placeholder. I'm preparing more files for loading at DFFB and it will take some time. If you want them faster, I'll try to do it faster -).

I have a list of mythical creatures from DnD ready and will add it to this release as optional download.

Also any suggestions are VERY welcome.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

No socks/mittens is going to be very brutal in cold areas.  Those items are often essential for not getting frostbitten hands and feet while working outside.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Well, you could at least mention where you got the "all-economic" reaction from...

Anyways, nice to see more major mods here. I'll do my best to fix that "buggy thing" you mentioned.  :)

And, if you don't mind the extra effort, do make your pack compatible with the "buggy thing". I'd still like to see the "Community Modpack" together someday.  ;)

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

Was it you with economic stones? I can't remember where did I get it actually, because I play with it like... for a very long time.
Then it's the moment when I say you THANK YOU because if not this small funny thing it would be very different for me to feel the DF charm.

When I told about "buggy thing" the main mod I mentioned was my Legends of Faerun, because he has some random crashes.

If you don't mind, I'd like to include your custom attacks and bodyparts form Martial Arts, though I don't think that I want to include custom races for now (I want this to stay Dwarf Fortress, and also there're some random bugs we can't avoid while adding new entities).
If you give me the green light, I'll spend my time merging it into community mod starter =).

Also thank you for the mittens/socks info, I shall return them then, I just forgot about freezing areas =).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

In all sincerity, I'd prefer custom attacks to be the signature feature of the MA modpack. It's called "Martial Arts" for a reason. However, you can use the body structures I have created (most recent testing shows them to be unrelated to the crashes at all), and I won't mind you spicing up the attacks of your creatures with kicks/bites/humps/whatever.  :p All I ask is that you refrain from using complex attack messages.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

Sean, actually I want to make a Merged Mod Pack which will include all features. I don't want to make your work mine and I will write that you're the main author. Is it ok this way?
ICQ 504081
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

OUCH!
ICQ blablabla
I forgot my 6th-number-lengh one was stolen...

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

I don't have ICQ, so you'd best remove those numbers.

Also, we seem to pursue slightly different goals. I mostly prefer expanding and increasing, while you seem inclined to optimise gameplay, rather than expand it. I do agree that most features are identical though, so I guess we can merge without much problem.

But then we should do it proper and start the Community Expansion Pack anew. No single author, just contributors and compilers.

Also, there's an edit button.  :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

I've got it.
You want an unique feature invented by you to stay yours =). "Copyright".
It's not that terrible. I see, it may be even good. I mean I don't need to overhaul all unaffected/new creatures =).

But I hope you don't mind a part about bodies - you have nice structured custom bodies, I can add something but generally the idea is yours. Is it OK?

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

As I already said - *points to pre-previous post* - you've got green light to use the custom bodies.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Version Pack002 is out.
OK I noted the freezing biomes clothing problem (Thank you Sowelu) dorfs as they are (with all clothes). I just stripped some goblins and kobolds. All features are in the 1st post.

2 Sean:
About ocmpatibility: there's the problem with the same files we use (modified vanilla files) and you don't want the merge with your mod.
If you want I can add just the merged files which we use together as a separate download (so our mods will be compatible while being different projects) tough it'll take some time to do and also I'm waiting for your new version to be bug-fixed and enjoy it =).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>Short swords now cannot be made of stone (stone sword is somewhat fragile).</STRONG>

Ever wonder why obsidian short swords use wood?

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>

Ever wonder why obsidian short swords use wood?</STRONG>

Ouch...

I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 03:13:00 am »

I know, but there're 2 ways:
1) wood for tilt, and stone blade. It will be destroyed after few strikes.
2) wood for main part (tilt/blade) and obsidian for cutting edge only. Well I don't know is it supposed to be safe enough.
Anyway if you can tell me that the stone swords are DEFINITELY somewhat able to hit the metal armor/shields for a long time, I can move it back to stone weapons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5