Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editing Metals  (Read 1404 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Editing Metals
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Hezzo.

I'm trying to mod iron so it will be super-sharp(I had one epic super-cool adventurer, and lost him, and now I hunger for adventuring power but can't seem to replicate my success).  I changed the [DAMAGE_PERC] to 999, but now weapons/armor are never made of iron.  It's all Bronze/Bismuth Bronze and such.  Does anyone know what I did wrong?  That's the only value I changed.

Shoes...

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Metals
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

Possibly it's too high? Set it to 133, 200, and 500, and see if you observe the same behaviour. (basic debugging process, more or less)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

Darn, should've thought of that, I could've sworn I saw someone give adamantine a 3000 damage perc once.  Oh well.  Thanks.
Shoes...

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

I have no idea if that's actually the problem, but the highest is currently 500 so  there might be a bit of hardcode somewhere that's freaking out. It's just a first step to try.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Give the civs [METAL_PREF], which will remove the cap on usable metal damage, I believe.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

Somebody made "Godenite", with a damage percentage of 5000%.  There is no 500% cap.

Ah, yes...  A recruit smacking a muskox with a Godenite hammer, causing the muskox to die instantly, as well as hurling the carcass clear over two mountain peaks and off the side of the map...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Yeah, entities have damage caps based on their metal preferences.  Does it think about them after the world is generated though?  You don't have to generate a new world if you are just changing the damage numbers in a metal.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 06:10:00 am »

How does it differentiate between iron and steel maximums, like humans and dwarves do? Both have metal_pref, I think, and there's no other difference except for settlement biomes...

't would be nice for races to account for such stuff as availability of materals required to make certain materials. For example, an entity that has no flux in its territories would not be able to make steel...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

Only dwarves have [METAL_PREF].

At least in native DF...