Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower caps...  (Read 1238 times)

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower caps...
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Hey, I simply added the mountain biome to towercaps in the hopes that one or two might start in the map that I pick... I've never actually encountered a towercap since 2d so I'm here to ask if they grow throughout the cave/only near the river or pool/only in mud.  I don't know what's changed, any help would be nice.  Don't want to sit around for a couple of years waiting for one to sprout in the cave.  Also, what determines the rate at which towercaps spawn?  The tree level of the region above?  Thanks (testing now)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: Tower caps...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

Currently you can only get Tower caps (in vanilla, you may have changed that by adding a biome tag) next to cave rivers, or on the shores of a natural cave lake.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen:
<STRONG>Currently you can only get Tower caps (in vanilla, you may have changed that by adding a biome tag) next to cave rivers, or on the shores of a natural cave lake.</STRONG>

Nope.  Once you've discovered the cave river/lake, tower-caps and other cave shrubs start growing spontaneously in ANY subterranean mud.

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

So, now that they are growing outside... i don't even need to find the river anymore (never have)?  I can start with my tree farm as soon as I start.  I'll let you know if everything goes well...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

That could be interesting, finding outdoor tower-caps confined to small areas at the base of mountains.

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

So, I've gotten tower-caps to grow at the base of mountains... but they don't SEEM to be growing underground.  I don't really have time to give it a good test but I'm finding tower-cap saplings above ground but none in the mud that I made underground.  I figured that it may be due to biome boundaries but they aren't growing in the mud immediately under the forest of tower-caps and other trees either.  In the past, I think toady said there only needed to be trees somewhere on the map for the spore to spread... but there is probably a discovery lock on this (you have to find a cave river/pool before they start spread underground regardless of their existence in the aboveground forests, otherwise you would have tower-caps before you even hit the pools/rivers).  If chasms are also "discovered" even if they are in plain sight at embark, we may be able to attach the subterranean_chasm tag to get it working.