Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anything like this?  (Read 1463 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anything like this?
« on: April 16, 2008, 03:13:00 am »

Is there anyway other than the tweak program thing that can change the starting dwarves/points? I cant run it because I dont have the runtime thing, and I cant install it either, because I'm not an admin.

Thanks.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anything like this?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

I don't understand why you can't install the tweak program, but unfortunately that is the "only" way to change that.

There is Rick's utilities, but the are for older DF versions.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

There's Dtil. Works great too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>I don't understand why you can't install the tweak program, but unfortunately that is the "only" way to change that.

There is Rick's utilities, but the are for older DF versions.</STRONG>

Sounds like he doesn't have the .NET Framework.
Since, AFAIK, pretty much every program that has the functionality you're looking for requires .NET, you're pretty much SOL.
In fact, I haven't seen a single program that works for 38c that DOESN'T require .NET...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

There's a way you can do it without either, and it should be very easy. Check Dtil or Rick's Tweak for "memory.ini" - you're looking for "STARTING_DWARF_COUNT" (or equivalent) and "STARTING_POINTS" (or whatever sounds like that!)

Then all you need is a memory editing program: Cheat Engine, ArtMoney... the wiki lists quite a few. If you input the memory address listed in memory.ini, they should tell you the current value. Then edit away.

Somebody here could probably rig up a really quick and dirty C/C++ program to do all that for you. I'd try to do it myself but my IDE hates me today. All sorts of funny errors.

Edit: These should be the latest addresses.

code:
STARTING_DWARF_COUNT=0x007BBDB5
STARTING_POINT_COUNT=0x007BAF5A

EditEdit: I'm trying to find some sort of portable memory hacker tool, because you wouldn't need to install it. However, I'm not having any success.

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

There was this Magic Trainer Creator a (long) while back...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:48:00 am »

If you can't install the .NET framework, smack your computer admin or simply log on to that account.

Or perhaps get an OS that doesn't do such stupid shit. Like perhaps Windows 98 or 2000.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:49:00 am »

The .NET 3.5 framework (latest version) is not installable on any version of windows before XP.  And the latest versions of the utilities were compiled using the latest version of the .NET framework.  Frankly, while .NET does have some nice features, in the long run it's just another way for Microsoft to guarantee lock-in.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet.