Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: two item token / reaction questions  (Read 2481 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
two item token / reaction questions
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

Okay, I have two little things I'm trying to do before a release.

1) Need a corpse to drop a diamond. I THINK this will work, I'm not sure.

ITEMCORPSE:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:DIAMOND_CLEAR:STONE_GEM

2) Need to use dwarven flour in a reaction, is this what the syntax for the wheat is?

REGEANT:1:EXTRACT:NO_SUBTYPE:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:PLANT

There're going into odd places so they're not the easiest thing for me to just pop in, load up and test, so any assist is greatly appreciated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: two item token / reaction questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

For corpse testing, point an entity at that creature.  You will now have a whole city full of them.

As for the reaction, just try and put it somewhere easier for the time being.  Testing is all-important.

And if you can figure out how the hell you actually do work the damned itemcorpse arguments, lemme know.  I've been struggling with getting a creature to turn into a plant for some time.  It's always a damned rat weed that pops up.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

The gemstone should be [ITEMCORPSE:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:DIAMOND_CLEAR]

The plant one is tricky [REAGENT:1:EXTRACT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE]

If that doesn't work, try [REAGENT:1:POWDER_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE]

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

Hague: the gem one.. probably works, it was dropping me rough . -- but I think I read that was some kind of bug in trader wagons, too. I'll probably just leave it alone for now.

As for the wheat.. I dunno, DF seems to have some kind of damn hidden cache. The errorlog keeps throwing me stuff that I deleted; and I make a new world every time, even clear out the old saves. I'll try it on a fresh copy tomorrow, when I'm less annoyed at it. been working too long today. =p Thanks for info tho.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:17:00 am »

I think it might be the data/objects folder.

It converts all the raw files into one of the files in there and when the game is running it actually reads the raws from those files.

You usually don't have to worry about it, but if you rename a bunch of raw files or delete ones, it's typically a good idea to empty that folder before running Dwarf Fortress again.  You can get weird little artifacts and little oddities like recent raw changes not taking effect ingame.

I would try emptying the folder.  Don't worry, It won't hurt anything. (just don't get rid of the folder, just everything IN it.)

EDIT: It's getting late, my already low speller skill is under a debuff.

EDIT2: As an addition, a few versions ago I tried making a plant extract and powder work in reactions but, if the stuff is in any kind of container the smelter seems to be unable to find it and says you don't have any.  I ended up needing to use plant thread and cloth for it to do what I wanted.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

Clearing data\object is rather safe, and essential if you shuffle files around in raws.

For a rough diamond, you need

ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE :DIAMOND_CLEAR

The gem is a stone essentially. It works for reactions, or at least I think it does.

The plant extract should be as mentioned, but it's usually either a powder or a liquid - so using it in a smelter will not work, it needs a container or it will just spill or lie on the ground and be useless.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

data\objects isn't enough, it was still holding on to a few lines. There must be something else laying around. It's not impacting any of the testing now, and I can copy the files over to a clean install and it goes, but.. anyway.

You mean it can't use the extract at all? It was going to produce a bar of something, so the end-result isn't a powder or liquid, in case that matters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

If it's a liquid, "reality will take over" and the bar will melt. Otherwise, making something into a bar will work.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

First: figured out part of my cache issue. Doing this in ubuntu and the text editor kept throwing up goddamned backup.txt~ files for each file, and DF was reading from those half the time instead of the actual ones. Ugh. -.-

Follow-up question, since I don't want to clutter the board with more threads.

Neither of these work. They don't show up in the smelter actions at all.

[REACTION:DWARF_BREAD]
[NAME:make dwarf bread dough]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:EXTRACT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DWARF_BREAD]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:DWARF_BREAD2]
[NAME:make dwarf bread dough2]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:POWDER_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DWARF_BREAD]
[FUEL]

I've tried it with and without [FUEL], I've changed the order of the reagents, tried name changes, nothin'. For reference, this is the entry in matgloss_metal

//these numbers are just random for the most part, but it should be at least as strong as iron
[MATGLOSS_METAL:DWARF_BREAD]
[NAME:dwarf bread][ADJ:dwarf bread][COLOR:6:6:1]
[VALUE:10]
[SPEC_HEAT:800]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
[BOILING_POINT:11000]
[WEAPON]
[DAMAGE_PERC:100]
[BLOCK_PERC:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8000]

There is no errorlog generated anymore, so it's not a syntax or typo thing somewhere that DF gets iffy about. This is the only thing keeping me back from a v0.1 release -.-

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: nunix ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

Tried generating a new world? New reactions require that...

Don't see anything wrong otherwise...

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

Yep, new worlds every time. Cleaned out data/objects. Etc etc.

Logan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

It sounds like the usual reagents-in-containers problem. The smelter won't search inside anything for its reagents, although dwarves will. If you can get some extract or powder just laying around, it'll show up in the task list and your furnace operator will be more than happy to use the stuff that IS in containers.

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>And if you can figure out how the hell you actually do work the damned itemcorpse arguments, lemme know.  I've been struggling with getting a creature to turn into a plant for some time.  It's always a damned rat weed that pops up.</STRONG>

If you want actual plants (not any sort of plant derivative), the Matgloss is ignored. See http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Reaction#Notes

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

Logan: ach, well that kills that project. Blast. Thanks for the information though. Now that I look at the wiki Reactions page I can see it's there, but.. not perfectly worded, I'll clean that up for future modders.

EDIT: ARGYNBAGHYARGUIGHAUYRIGHAUORIHGAUOYRIHGUOIAHGUOIAHRGUOI.

I give up. I hate the smelter.

I decided to just make it use regular cave wheat plants - no extract, just the plant item - and there is still NOTHING showing up in the smelter menu except Melt item. There's no errorlog. No crashes. Nothing. The game thinks everything is at least written coherently, but.. refuses to use any of it.

So depressed. -.-

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: nunix ]