Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slag!  (Read 2140 times)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Slag!
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:07:00 am »

Slag is awesome! Now you can have slag in your game.

code:

- add to matgloss_stone_mineral

[MATGLOSS_STONE:SLAG]
[NAME:slag][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:156]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:10]
[METAL_ORE:NICKEL:10]
[METAL_ORE:ZINC:10]
[METAL_ORE:TIN:10]
[METAL_ORE:LEAD:10]
[METAL_ORE:BISMUTH:10]
[METAL_ORE:IRON:5]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:5]
[METAL_ORE:GOLD:2]
[METAL_ORE:ALUMINUM:1]
[METAL_ORE:PLATINUM:1]
[SOLID_DENSITY:5000]
[VALUE:1]

-- go to reaction_standard and add this to all "use ore" reactions:
[PRODUCT:50:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:SLAG]
-- and to steel making:
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:SLAG]

Sadly you can't get slag from smelting individual ores, unless you go and actually add the individual reactions. Unless.... hmmm.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Zaratustra ]

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slag!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Sorry, I haven't spent much time modding ores...
do you have a ~75% chance of yielding one of these ores or do you have to select which you want to try and melt it down into?  
A wild card ore sounds pretty sweet to cover annoying fey moods.  Did you intend for this to be recursive?  So, if you smelt 10 ores... you will get ~5 slag... of which ~3 will turn into ores and you will probably yield another slag off of those 3.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

I can't wait to make my huge castle out of slag!
Lung cancer here I come!
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

So, this is something that provides you with a bar of copper, a bar of nickel, a bar of zinc, a bar of tin, a bar of lead, and a bar of bismuth if you smelt ten of them, will provide a bar of iron and a bar of silver if you smelt twenty of them, will provide a bar of gold if you smelt fifty of them, and will provide a bar of aluminum and a bar of platinum if you smelt one hundred of them.

Nifty.  Just make sure you only smelt it in the one smelter.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:06:00 am »

Hm? Aren't the numbers probabilities rather than fractions?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

Nope.  They're fractions.  Galena produces one bar of lead, and one fifth of a bar of silver.  Run some tests with multiple furnaces.  Build five furnaces, and melt one chunk of galena (or other multi-ore rock) in each one.  You will have five bars of lead.

Now build a new smelter and smelt five chunks of galena in it.  You will have five bars of lead, and one bar of silver.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »

I'm about 90% sure the very first galena ore I smelted on a map netted me a silver bar. I remember checking for it specifically because I wondered the same thing.

Galena is also 50% chance not a 20% chance, I've always ended up with (roughly) half the silver as lead while smelting it.

Edit: I just tested it again, fresh world, fresh fort and I got the following results:
1. No silver
2. No silver
3. No silver
4. No silver
5. Silver
6. No silver
7. Silver
8. No silver
9. Silver
10. No silver
11. No silver
12. No silver
13. No silver
14. Silver
15. Silver

which is clearly random, and close enough to 50% given the very limited sample size to convince me that 50 in the raws = 50% chance.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:35:00 am »

Ah, I must have been confusing it with some other thing related to metal smelting.  At least that other thing is a fraction and not a probability.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

you are correct about it producing multiple bars however.
it's a near-infinite (for gameplay purposes of course) to get all of those at once, even over several hundred smeltings, but possible.

over the course of 100 smelts, it's likely that you'd get atleast one reaction that gave two bars, if not three or more.

Logan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Ah, I must have been confusing it with some other thing related to metal smelting.  At least that other thing is a fraction and not a probability.</STRONG>

Melting finished objects produces fractions of bars that are stored invisibly in the smelter. If you melt a hundred daggers in a hundred smelters, you won't get anything. If you melt them in the same smelter, you'll get a nice pile of bars.