Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Language  (Read 1851 times)

Sedil Locunad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Language
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

I've searched around and couldn't find anything about such an obscure topic, but what language do Kobold use for their own?  There is no language_KOBOLD.txt nor is there any words in any language that resemble the words Kobold use.  Heck, my dwarfs can't figure out what "Jrayrsnin" could mean as a kingdom's name.
quot;What am I?  ...Sorry, can''t answer what I don''t know."
-My Character

Trivia - My current online name is a dwarven translation of my regular online moniker.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Language
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

Do you want to have a conversastion with a kobold before you cleave its head off?   :p

As long as they scream nice...

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:00:00 am »

I think it's a mix between dwarf, human and elf. When i messed with the language files a bit, the result was random dwarven words popping up in goblin names.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

The kobold utterances are built using some hard-coded rules, and the words don't mean anything, though important objects like kobolds and their entities maintain the same name.  Other concepts can also have words tied to them that are fairly immutable (such as the words repeated during adv mode slay announcements).  The word-formation rules are based on things that TT and I used to say to our cats.

Eventually the rules for creating utterances will slip out into the txt files.  I also have generators for the other languages, but I check those and remove words that have the wrong tone or are too close to english words and so on.  As far as I can tell, this final verification process is the main problem with generating all of the languages from scratch.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!