Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nonedible Noncooked Food  (Read 1588 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Nonedible Noncooked Food
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

Yo,

I'd like to make it so my dwarves can't eat anything that isn't cooked. How would I go about doing something like that?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Nonedible Noncooked Food
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

[EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED]  Makes the plant inedible raw, but it can be cooked into an edible meal.

[MILL:name:co:lo:ur]
[MILL_VALUE:number]
[COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED]  Like wheat to flour, you grind the plant into powder and then cook the powder.  Neither the plant nor the powder is edible raw.

[EXTRACT:name:co:lo:ur]
[EXTRACTVALUE:number]
[EXTRACT_BARREL] (can also be *_VIAL, but will yield a smaller amount and requires a glass vial)
[EXTRACT_COOKABLE]   Sweet pods to syrup, this requires a barrel and oozes whatever non-drinkable liquid it can out of the plant in question.  It may then be cooked.

That's about it.  You may want to leave in the [EDIBLE_VERMIN] tag, so that in the event of an emergency dwarves will eat the raw plant.  Essentially, there is one tag that controls whether or not the plant can be eaten raw, and that is the highly obfuscated [EDIBLE_RAW].

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

I'm pretty sure EDIBLE_VERMIN allows vermin to eat the plant.

On a related note, PENETRATEPOWER in a vermin determines how well it can reach food contained in barrels.  It's something like a PENETRATEPOWER in 10 chance of getting into a wooden barrel.  Out of 100 for metal ones.  Toady offered that information elsewhere in the forums some time back (Sorry, Mario, the info is in another thread).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:04:00 am »

Ahhh, alright. Thanks!

*goes to put the tag in everything*

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

do be cautious in using this, as it will quickly deplete seed stores if you aren't brewing as much as you plant, and only use the [EDIBLE_WHENCOOKED] tag. (milling will get the seeds out, so that route's safe)

Just something to remember, since it's one of those things you quickly learn and count on later, without giving conscious thought to managing... usually anyways.