Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last-Resort Sand Solution!  (Read 2120 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Last-Resort Sand Solution!
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

After building a fortress up in a pleasant area, I realized that I could not make any glass as there was no sand. However, I discovered that by simply taking the soil_sand tag from the various forms of sand in the raws and adding it to the other soil types, I could use normal soil to make glass. It's not a perfect solution, I admit, but for those who have big, sophisticated fortresses but no sand, all you need to do is make a small change in the raws, collect (and, I advise, use up) a few bagfuls, and then undo the change. I do not know what will happen if you have a bagful sandy clay loam and try to load the game without the changes. Happy Glass making!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last-Resort Sand Solution!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

Oh, that's great! Thanks. I had one fort with a huge open dome, I made silk bags and... realized we had no sand.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

The alternate solution that I use is I deleted all non-sand soil types.  Consequently I also added sands of each color, so I get quite a kalaidaskopic map at mapgen... and I am guaranteed to have sand.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

Oh wow, [SOIL_SAND] means the material is usable as sand? I could have sworn it meant that my cats would take a shit in it!
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GreyMario:
<STRONG>Oh wow, [SOIL_SAND] means the material is usable as sand? I could have sworn it meant that my cats would take a shit in it!</STRONG>

If they're anything like my cat, they would hardly care one way or annother.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

Heh - a few games into the 3D version I made the perhaps common mistake of thinking the Sand-like soil types(sandy clay, loamy sand, etc) could be used for, ya know, sand.

Discovered this tag by chance some time later, and modded all the sand-like soils as usable for sand collection.

Won't help my current fort, but I think I might make the same mod to the current version.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

So what happens if you have a bag full of clay loam and undo then save and load???
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by I3erent:
<STRONG>So what happens if you have a bag full of clay loam and undo then save and load???</STRONG>

Not much. You just have a bag of loam.

Although I wonder what would happen if I dumped the stuff on a stone tile. Could I make a layer of loam underground in the middle of a stone layer?

Darn! And I just sold those bags to be rid of 'em!

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>

Not much. You just have a bag of loam.

Although I wonder what would happen if I dumped the stuff on a stone tile. Could I make a layer of loam underground in the middle of a stone layer?

Darn! And I just sold those bags to be rid of 'em!</STRONG>

I dunno about your idea, but I got some annoying permanent sandy loam tiles all around my tombs.  I tend to make tombs on the very bottom layer of the map, and I made a water mistake and after I fixed it and let the water dry out... I had freakin unengravable tiles all over... I had plenty of trees outside so the extra towercaps were not useful.  This lasted for years until I finially got tired of that fortress--only one invader (titan) in 8 years and only ever got dwarf traders.

ZedEh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

Do you need to create a new map, or is that something you can tweak in an in-progress fort?
our sig will appear here

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

Just restart DF. No need for a new world. The soil is already there, it just has slightly different properties.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

Keep in mind, that if you change a soil-type to be sand, it will show up in deserts. A loam desert seems a little odd to me.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

I've GOT to try this.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

quote:
The alternate solution that I use is I deleted all non-sand soil types. Consequently I also added sands of each color, so I get quite a kalaidaskopic map at mapgen... and I am guaranteed to have sand.

What colors, exactly?[