Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone tried to make a DF bot?  (Read 5275 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried to make a DF bot?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Dungeon Keeper had a helper AI. Designated digging/building or managed offensive stuff like troop movements. Was incredibly useful, just hit a button.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

The first time I saw Dungeon Keeper's helper AI in action I thought my computer was possessed. It's freaky suddenly seeing a bunch of tiles designated for digging the way a human would designate it.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

I know that a good DF bot would be hard to do, and even harder to keep from taking the CPU power left after running all the cat path finding, but it would still be fun to fight one.

Your fort vs it's.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

Dungeon Keeper eh?... Good times... I still have a rip of DK in my comp...

Yeah, an AI style like DK kicks ass... hell, I play more with AI on than I do with AI off...

The bot would be good and the forseen CPU war *might* happen, UNLESS it was coded in somthing cheapy like C or a REALLY old programming language... *hint* *hint*...

I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 05:26:00 am »

Image grabing and scanning is going to be used purely becouse it's easier to steal screendata and patch it agains a defined tileset, then to access the memory. This is a much later project i am still waiting for this months salery so I can buy my new computer. codeing DF stuff and accessing wine emulated windows is a big no no under ubuntu. :P
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

There exist a basic mass rewall utility that can build walls and floors. It is very limited with what shapes it can build at this stage, but it works.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

yeah, but it can't be hooked up easily to home coded algorithms that marks cool fortress designs for a digout in a procedureal maner.  :D

Oh my new (old) picture?

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

Are you perchance talking about my DFWall? If so, I should be able to get you the ability to build any shape with any material and almost any building (example: a shape of a statue made from green glass aquariums) and make it a bit quicker and more reliable (and give it the ability to work on multiple Z levels, though I don't really see the point) easily enough, but I've assumed there's no point in doing that given the almost nonexistent response to my original utility.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: LordZabujca ]

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Heph:
<STRONG>Good Luck and write directly to the Memory for tile-allocation etc. because DF recognizes keypressed-message only each 150 microseconds after the first keypressed-message.</STRONG>

you can change that in the init.txt file to 1 micro second or 999999999999999 micro seconds if you like

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

An AI?  For my Dwarf Fortress?  Is it more likely than I think?

Daddy likes.

<3 writing bots.  Can I suggest an initial memory-based autodesignation thing?  It's really irritating trying to channel out a very large, square region...or worse yet, channel out the long 1 tile wide landbridge you've been using.  A bot that designates the next tile once one tile has been mined out would be the best thing in the universe.

Visual recognition is absolutely the worst thing in the world that you could ever try on DF, in fact DF is one place I would never want to use it.  AIs are VERY bad at recognizing gestalts--they couldn't reliably tell where someone was going, and that means that when there's a farmer and an herbalist nearby, it would very likely get lost.  AIs are terrible at limited information, and the usual solution is "get as much information as you can"...I don't think you want it to pause and scroll around the whole map every few frames, sitting on each screen for long enough to watch all the different creatures cycle through.  DF also has a surprising amount of ambiguity in its visual representation; having sand that flashes yellow when it's targeted for mining is not very useful...and while humans are QUITE good at detecting motion and noticing the different flash frequency, AIs are much worse.

I could imagine a memory-based DF bot doing quite well, actually, when it comes to executing predefined plans with very little deviation.  I would love to see a bot that jousts with all the different professions, shuffling them around as necessary.

Also excellent is: AIs are really good at paying attention to everything at once, because humans have limited attention spans and like to finish one thing at a time.  It could surely make much better use of idle dwarves...or at least the dwarves that a human wouldn't manage as closely.

Really though I think it would be best for managing building and digging, by automatically designating and constructing things...in the right order.

/bot writer
//for muds and Puzzle Pirates only

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

My main problem with this project is my total and uter lack of "memory hacking". My personal goal for the bot at first is to make something that mark large areas for digging according to specifications. Like nameing the size of rooms and possibly longest distance between areas. optimal usage of round rooms and surfaces, i don't know, simply designing intresting mathematical fortress designs.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: TheSpaceMan ]

Oh my new (old) picture?
Pages: 1 [2]