Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone tried to make a DF bot?  (Read 5274 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Anyone tried to make a DF bot?
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:29:00 am »

It just hit me... it would be fun. I am a programmer, but i have never ventured to the land of memory hacking, it would be really fun to make a bot that plays DF or Tries to. The code base for it would be enormous, giving it some values or a xml with data for what areas to try to build and what objects it should try to create. It would be awsome and hard as hell i guess.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried to make a DF bot?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:51:00 am »

Like an AI or something? I don't think any program can be smart enough to successfully play DF.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:00 am »

I am sure it could be.
Still, i don't talk about playing the entire game, just say... a manager for hard times or replaning or something.
My first goal will be a procedural floor planer, should be easy enough, doesn't realy need to know anything about the gameworld.

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: TheSpaceMan ]

Oh my new (old) picture?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:17:00 am »

Ok but how do you recognize the "You have struck (Material)! " Messages?

Good Luck and write directly to the Memory for tile-allocation etc. because DF recognizes keypressed-message only each 150 microseconds after the first keypressed-message.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

I am not talking sky net here.
I am talking about a app, that very (slowly) can parse the current world as seen, and preform input based on random patterns stored, and found from the parsing. This could be done at a pixel level, heck it might not even need to read anything from the game, just pass input at the moment.

Text in DF follow the tilesize as well right?

"AI" might be a to big step at the moment, help full builder rather. Being able to feed precedural generated forts as dig data with stairs for diffrent levels is more correct.

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: TheSpaceMan ]

Oh my new (old) picture?

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

you could use the popular SCAR program witch is a a powerful boting tool can rejister changes in the code and on screen ect. it can be found on most hacking websites try a runescape hacking comminity is your best bet to find an up-to-date version of the program
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

Sounds hardly as fun as doing it yourself.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

Interesting idea... reminded me of the Borg-commands and such from the Angband games. Helpful AI is a great start though! If only you could get it to forbid items invaders drop and/or build walls and floors out of a list of accepted materials (say you only wanted limestone, obsidian, or bauxite for instance). I'm all for this!

It'd be pretty awesome to one day get something smart enough to build a fort. =) Like with the Borgs of the past, Toady might start throwing in certain features to confuse it, hehe.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>Interesting idea... reminded me of the Borg-commands and such from the Angband games. Helpful AI is a great start though! If only you could get it to forbid items invaders drop and/or build walls and floors out of a list of accepted materials (say you only wanted limestone, obsidian, or bauxite for instance). I'm all for this!

It'd be pretty awesome to one day get something smart enough to build a fort. =) Like with the Borgs of the past, Toady might start throwing in certain features to confuse it, hehe.</STRONG>

I came here to mention the Angband bot. I used to watch that thing play for so long...it had two real errors: if it ran out of a light source, it'd freeze, and during the early mid-game it got waaaay too cautious.

Anyway, some helpful DF bots would be awsome. Someday having a full DF-AI would be a pretty astounding thing.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Links to angband borg bots, please. I'm bored and want to watch something awsome.

Also, it'd be a very good idea that if you do end up coding some kind of bot, that you should make sure the Ai understands what causes cave-ins, and that it cannot build walls on the diagonal. For instance, if you wanted to make a + shape, you'd have to leave one wall unfinished so that the center wall completes first.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

When I think of an AI running DF, I imagine some kind of cross between a post-apocalyptic wasteland and an opium den, with debris scattered everywhere, and glassy-eyed dwarves lying on the ground, staring at the sky and gasping like beached fish.  Maybe a dwarf or two mindlessly hitting a rock with a pick, mumbling "goldgoldgoldgoldgoldgoldgold..."
Shoes...

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

basically this should only be attempted if you have ALOT of time to waste...*cough*playing RuneScape*cough*
The 10000 year world would bother me.
Not because of the memory requirements, though they would be huge, but because technology wouldn't advance.
10000 years of the same swords and shields sort of tech is goofy.
Kobold Thief has stolen *flying car*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

RuneScape is an abomination.
Shoes...

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

ahh wel i used to play the old rs 1 when it was 2d graphics trying to be 3d and yes rs does suck now =\ was a good game at one point... 6 years ago....
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

you can't screen scrape for info instead of memory edit?  (to track for pauses and messages)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: [1] 2