Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Making more war animals  (Read 1653 times)

Huey

• Bay Watcher
  • If a tree kills in tha forest does it make a sound
    • View Profile
[38c] Making more war animals
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

So as the title says, I have started to play around with modding in order to be able to make more creatures war animals. I found the [TRAINABLE] tag, which did pretty much what I was hoping for it to do, however... I can't assign warhorses to anyone. I was able to assign war-wolves to my crew, and the horse did get trained, but now I am kind of stumped.

On a related note, I added the [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] tag to the dwarf entity, so that I could more quickly test things, and I got some interesting embark choices such as GCS   :eek:  Is there an easier way to get more animals on the embark list? I don't necessarily need uber pets, but I would like more variety on embarking. Like taking polar bears with me in a glacier map, etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There's a question mark in the place of a spark
that used to be an answer
aiming straight for the heart but you missed the mark and
the arrow turned to cancer

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Making more war animals
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Haven't tried it myself, but using the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag will probably make them available on embark.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Huey

• Bay Watcher
  • If a tree kills in tha forest does it make a sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

Another question. What does the mount tag do? Can I use mounts in my games, or is it for sieging armies?
There's a question mark in the place of a spark
that used to be an answer
aiming straight for the heart but you missed the mark and
the arrow turned to cancer

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

Currently, the [MOUNT] tag does nothing. Toady has it in there as a sort of preliminary framework for adding a mount system later.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

It is used during sieges, if they have something available.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

I like to give dwarves the Subterranean creatures.  Then make GCS's into trainable mounts.  > )

They're freaking expensive, but this gives me something to work for in the endgame.

EDIT: To answer the OP, adding COMMON_DOMESTIC to different creatures will, indeed work.  Adding tags to the Dwarf entity like USE_GOOD_ANIMALS or USE_CAVE_ANIMALS might get you more variety as well, but I'm still testing this, and cannot confirm it.

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Lyrax ]

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

Oh hell, I just had a scary thought... elves mounted on unicorns and giant eagles.

Try that siege on for size!

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

Also, to answer the OP, as far as I know you should be able to assign a war horse/spider/bat/unicorn to anyone, but they'll be pulled from the pool of war creatures at random.

Or rather, you can assign anyone a war creature, and there's a chance it'll be the one you want.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster