Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Simplicity Mod  (Read 3767 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Simplicity Mod
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

v0.07

This is a modification for those folks who have a particular vengeance against the dominating hordes of microcline, the baffling assortment of metal alloys, and the bewilderingly huge assortment of gems.

What this mod does is drastically reduce the number of different material types, in an attempt to make things a bit easier to remember and just a bit more streamlined overall.  Also, it includes a few of my personal choice modifications that I can't release anything without.

* Vermin bird and fish subtypes combined.  You no longer have to think about what the heck a "shad" is.

* One rock type.  Two flux types (one hard to extract, the other easy). Five gem types.  Two soil types (one sand, one regular).  One tree type (aside from tower-caps).  Five metals, plus steel and bronze alloys.  Only one gibbon species.

* Bronze is slightly stronger, so it is more useful.  The process to make it has been tweaked, so it requires two sources of copper and one of tin.

* Copper and gold nuggets can be found in small quantities in dirt.  This makes it possible to have at least minor metal access in aquifer-laden biomes without breaching the water layer.

* Limestone is encountered as veins underground.  These veins are aquifers, however, so getting the limestone out can be a bit tricky.  Calcite appears in small clusters, but at least it's dry.

* Plants, weapons and clothing have been simplified somewhat.  Goblins have fewer articles of clothing to lessen post-siege clutter.  Giant cave spiders are semimegabeasts, and smaller cave spiders no longer have permanent bites.  Smaller cave spiders have also been renamed to "spiders", and can appear both above and below ground.

* Lobsters added to aboveground oceans.  You can now attempt to capture some, if you feel the desire to do so.

Full changelog is available in the readme.

Please post suggestions, bugs, and opinions in this thread.

Link

P.S.
Many thanks to Janus for the file depot, never before has uploading or installing such pointless Dwarf Fortress mods been so easy.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Simplicity Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:14:00 am »

I've had that idea some time ago, but that was pertaining to another mod, like Dwarph Phortress. I wanted to have just "rock" and "soil", a few gem types, and relevant minerals to make ceramics, titanium, etc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:23:00 am »

A mod that makes the game less awesome?!  :confused:

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

Three words:  Microcline, Orthoclase, Alunite.

There are no longer any of these, so you can safely design your halls without having the corridor change suddenly from a pleasant gray to eye-burning yellow.  And you can't fix it unless you tear out and replace the walls (which leaves nasty revealed stone tiles back behind the walls) and do some reflooring.

Intricate floor designs have become slightly more difficult, however.  But, with the new abundance of copper, bronze, silver and gold, you can use metals to make designs.

Also, rock crystals are no longer "edged out" by a staggering amount of other gems, and so are much more common.  There's even a chance you'll encounter a massive formation of them deep underground, but that's pretty rare.

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

Oh, I see. And no more "ALERT! URGENT! EMERGENCY! PANIC EVEN! We found Microline!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

Whoops.  It would appear I uploaded a faulty copy, one where just about all the gems and minerals will fail to load, along with camels.  That's a little too simplified...  I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

I HAPPEN TO LIKE MICROCLINE, SIR. >:C
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>I HAPPEN TO LIKE MICROCLINE, SIR. >:C</STRONG>
Don't get me wrong, I would never use this mod. I like microline.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 04:46:00 am »

Third release.  This one should work.

In release number two, there were plenty of gems and camels, but no humans or dwarves.  If it's not one thing, it's another.  I've also updated the readme with some changes I forgot to mention, I've tweaked minerals and their frequency, and I've only uploaded the files that I'veactually done something with.

For such a "simple" mod, this is having a lot of problems...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Don't get me wrong, I would never use this mod. I like microline.</STRONG>

I hate microcline, but I love orthoclase.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

I like color-coding various things. Like... uh... bridges.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Interesting mod(I haven't tried it out yet), one I had considered making myself. By the way, you might also consider reducing the number of the gibbons :-) There are like, 9 subraces of them :-)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

I see an error.  One of the features of the game is having sharpenable stone to make stone short swords and such.  If there is no obsidian, your sharpenable stone is done for.  I like my sharpened stone sword weapon traps, so quick to craft so early.
Also, did you keep the ratios of types of things (such as each value of gem) the same?  If you go from 5:3:1 Common:rare:unobtanium (value 2:value 5: value 10)to 1:1:1, it could skew the abundances such that rares were as common as commons.  That is, of course, if the placement is a randomized choice of minerals, as I suspect it may be.

Also, as mentioned by someone else, this excludes color coding and general color themes.  When I make a fort in a red sand desert, I make sure to bring along enough realgar to build everything, to keep it all in theme... In the forest, I dig to try to find olivine immediately... My Hungarian Flag Colors fort would not be possible were I to use this mod...  In fact, I am thinking to just mod in lots of bright colors to otherwise ordinary grey stones...  "We call this the green room.  Next door is the red room, where we will meet to eat each morning.  The library, also known as the Bright Green and Pink Hall of Burning Eyes is around the corner.  You will be sleeping in the chartreuce and lavender room, and your companions can stay in the somewhat hazy orange brown room with pink spots"

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

I like it. Some ideas, depending on how simple you want it to get these may not be useful

Instead of all kinds of the vermin fish (the kind that pop in and out of existence, the kind that are caught) have freshwater and saltwater fish. The non-vermin fish can stay.

Combine some more breeds of animals (as previously said, there are 9 kinds of gibbons) such as making wolves and ice wolves (or whatever their arctic subtype is) to one, that kind of thing.

Scrap whips. They are crap.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »

Obsidian still exists, it just doesn't appear in massive rock layers anymore.  Only around magma pipes.

This means you can only get obsidian swords on a map with magma, true.  But magma farming has been made a little easier since you will now be guaranteed to have magma-proof stone on magma maps, since I've made obsidian magma-proof (I think it's working.  Need someone to test it though).

If you want obsidian swords, just start up a magma farm and churn them out to your heart's content.

As for fish the fish and gibbons, I was intending on doing that.  But I'm going to tackle the creatures once everything else has been ironed out completely.

Diamonds appear in metamorphic layers and obsidian with the lowest numeric chance you can give them.  This is the chance that any diamond will appear in kimberlite, but since there is now only one type of diamond, they are even rarer than before.

Emeralds, sapphires and rubies are relatively common now.  I haven't toned down their value though.  Since you no longer have to hoard every single gem you mine out for fear of not finding another cluster of it, you can freely use jewelers to cut and set the gems however you want.  It's still recommended, as with any other material, to keep a couple raw ones handy for any moods.

Rock crystals are less common if you only look at the frequency number, but they're pretty common now.  They're no longer shoved out of the way by other gems types, and so have a nice shot at some space.

The chance for them to appear in a massive cluster is the same chance that you'll find a diamond.  As rare as the numbers can make them.

Pages: [1] 2 3