Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Edited Character Set  (Read 2205 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Edited Character Set
« on: February 29, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

Ive edited mikemayday's character set graphics and added in a bunch of changes as well as made the walls look smooth, rather then bricks.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets#Square_tilesets

:)

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Edited Character Set
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

Here's a tip:  Build a one-tile wide North-South bridge and see how it turns out.

Other than a few potential oddities (such as ruins showing up as a crown, possibly) it looks pretty nice.  The screenshot provided is very nice, in fact.

EDIT:  Also, you might want to actually link to your tileset, not just the square tileset category.

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Here's a tip:  Build a one-tile wide North-South bridge and see how it turns out.

Other than a few potential oddities (such as ruins showing up as a crown, possibly) it looks pretty nice.  The screenshot provided is very nice, in fact.

EDIT:  Also, you might want to actually link to your tileset, not just the square tileset category.

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]</STRONG>

I don't see a problem with the bridge, since i've only been playing DF with mikes original tile set. The bridge shows up for me as 2 chairs and a line. Thats normal for me  :)

Yeah there are some oddities of course. Can only do some much within certain limits. Such as the crown and ruins having to share graphics.

Ive yet to see a ruin either way so i wouldn't know what a normal ruin looks like :-\

I added in the Character Set as well as the screen shot to my Original Post.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:50:00 am »

Not bad, although it still has this problem:

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 06:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Not bad, although it still has this problem:

:)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Turtles will also appear to be gems, along with bituminous coal.  Highwood trees will become mugs.  Rope reeds and whip vines will be wafts of steam.

Screw pumps will cycle between barrels and food (that should be fun to see), and stingrays will appear to be levers.

All in all, not bad.  And it still looks quite nice.

EDIT:  He's talking about how you have isometric (I think that's the right word for this) objects in a top-down view, which can cause some perspective problems if you're picky about stuff like that.  For instance, native DF walls will meet up perfectly with each other, whereas yours will be tilting off into the distance and not meeting up with the walls above or below (in the player's mind).

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Turtles will also appear to be gems, along with bituminous coal.  Highwood trees will become mugs.  Rope reeds and whip vines will be wafts of steam.

Screw pumps will cycle between barrels and food (that should be fun to see), and stingrays will appear to be levers.

All in all, not bad.  And it still looks quite nice.
</STRONG>

Yeah lol cant be helped, its a choice between one graphic, or the other, or a normal text character. Until toady revamps the graphics, gotta deal with this.

Id rather be able to see barrels in my stock pile, then a part of a Screw Pump, Normally your going to have more barrels then siege pumps.

Also, Yes it is nice, but make sure you know what mike did originally, i don't want to be taking all the credit, i just did some edits   :)

quote:
EDIT:  He's talking about how you have isometric (I think that's the right word for this) objects in a top-down view, which can cause some perspective problems if you're picky about stuff like that.  For instance, native DF walls will meet up perfectly with each other, whereas yours will be tilting off into the distance and not meeting up with the walls above or below (in the player's mind).

Yeah ok i understand completely what you mean now. I think.... :|

I was doing good understanding what you were saying up until "the walls above or below (in the player's mind)"

Then i got a bit lost :\

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:20:00 am »

Well, since you can't actually see the walls above or below, you have to imagine them not lining up.  You can only view one level at a time, and so the player has to use his imagination to find problems.

And people who play ASCII games can oftentimes have very active imaginations.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>He's talking about how you have isometric (I think that's the right word for this)</STRONG> [it's not - J] <STRONG>objects in a top-down view, which can cause some perspective problems if you're picky about stuff like that.  For instance, native DF walls will meet up perfectly with each other, whereas yours will be tilting off into the distance and not meeting up with the walls above or below (in the player's mind).</STRONG>
As shown in the above diagram, DF does not truly have a top-down view; there is only a single tile each for horizontal, vertical and corner walls. I made the walls in my own tileset nearly identical to dodge this problem - not the best fix but it works.

A three-quarters view would look similar to this:

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

Yeah i see exactly what you mean now.

And i completely agree that, the way you depicted it looks a lot better.

However, when the time comes for that I'll be drawing tiles much better  :)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

It's amazing that through all the iterations this has gone through (it started as my '256' - my 16x16 font) that at least the base typeface is unchanged. At least ya'll can agree on something looking good!

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

Thats what you get for making a friggin awesome tileset Herrbdog! Yes I use it too.  :D
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 02:01:00 am »

I can't find the original...  I haven't seen anything remotely close to The-Moon's tileset on the set listing, what am I missing?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

Mike Mayday's site can be found here.

Some of his set is from my set, some of mine is from his.  :p

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]