Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Necromancy TinyMod(tm)  (Read 3374 times)

Burnme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Necromancy TinyMod(tm)
« on: February 28, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

For those who want a dash of magic, a pinch of the UNDEAD, some creature additions and changes/improvements, but don't want to stray too far from the delightfully satisfying vanilla Dwarf Fortress experience.

Features:

Race additions and modifications
--------------------------------
   Skeleton - Sentient, immortal undead powered by evil essence, and commanded by Necromancers who they worship like gods. The advantages of being reanimated are offset by low skills and a feeble grasp of working metals. Fully playable in both Fortress and Adventure modes.

Wizard - Masters of the magical disciplines, and diligent scholars of all antiquity. These peerless prestidigitators are fearsome offensive combatants from both long range and melee so long as their hands are free for gesticulation, but are physically frail, and not fond of wearing armor. Only playable in Adventure mode.

Dragons, Goblins, Spirits of fire - Adventure mode playable. Goblins also Fortress playable.

Nonplayable additions -
Necromancers, extremely powerful wizards who have given over their humanity to command the skeletal legions. Counts as megabeast.

Iron and Steel Colossi, increasingly more resilient versions of the original, of appropriate material. Now all with proper pluralization!

Changes to existing critters:

Corrected various typos (firey=fiery, etc.) and pluralizations.

Major humanoids got another main attack for variety.

Various creatures gained main attacks, and damage changes.

Giant cave spiders nerfed. Seriously wtf.

Dragons and Titans gained major and minor size increases, respectively, to reflect the greater challenge their awesomeness demands.

Dragons are now winged, have a good range of attacks, behave more intelligently, grew some scales, can manipulate objects with their jaws (including doors), and are generally deadlier.

All construct, inorganic, or creatures otherwise living independent of nervous systems are no longer affected by paralysis and poisons.

Various religion sphere/type tweaks and necessary [POWER] allocation.

Some minor color changes across the board.

Population and civ number changes.

DOWNLOAD

quot;wat"

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromancy TinyMod(tm)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

You came so close to accidently allowing "Skeletal Skeletons."
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

Zombie skeletons would have been better.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

Double zombie anyone?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

Oh, by the way, I gave the wizard a COLD spell when I got it, so you may want to change that on the mod.

Burnme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

Actually I originally had wizards with a COLD spell, but instead gave them a HEAT spell, and let the necromancers be the exclusive COLD users.

It seemed to fit.

I once saw someone post that HEAT damage tends to ignite clothes and such, but I've never seen it happen. If that isn't the case, then yeah the way I have my wizards set up is a tad redundant.

quot;wat"

Fenrir

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

A necromancy mod with no vampires? What is this world coming to?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

Oh, alright. Didn't now necromancers had that.

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Oh, alright. Didn't now necromancers had that.</STRONG>
I was half kidding. It was just a suggestion. I don't think there is a necromancy rulebook somewhere that says they can or cannot summon vampires.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

No, I was talking to Burnme about wizards not having COLD spells. Vampires would be nice, since there is a working bloodsuck tag.

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>No, I was talking to Burnme about wizards not having COLD spells. Vampires would be nice, since there is a working bloodsuck tag.</STRONG>
Oh, sorry.

I don't think you should nerf giant cave spiders, just make them semimegabeasts. Spiders are incredibly strong in porportion to their size, so it stands to reason that a giant cave spider would be very unhealthy for any adventurer.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Burnme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

quote:
I don't think you should nerf giant cave spiders, just make them semimegabeasts.

As the main source of silk in the DF world, GCS's should remain common, so I strongly disagree. They're still deadly in groups and in conjunction with other enemies, and size 5 is still HUGE for a spider.

On the other hand, it is possible to obtain wizard an necro-silk in my little mod, though rare. I just wish there was a way to set the value and quality of those.

I also wish it had been feasible to set wizards as fortress mode playable while keeping their complete lack of weapons. I tried wands that fired frost and fire bolts and used the axe skill so they could chop down trees, but having all military wizards in adv mode wielding a weapon sucked. They don't use firebreath or webbing while holding something.

And for the record, vampires are the result of vampirism, not necromancy. I know of no fantasy world where this isn't the case.

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Burnme ]

quot;wat"

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

yes but vamprism is a result of toying with the undead so some where they are tied in =P
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Burnme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

I'm glad someone dug this thread back up. I forgot to mention anywhere that my skeleton military leaders and necromancers give advmode folks quests to kill each other, and even themselves.

Fairly unavoidable, as far as I can tell. It's amusing, at least.

I might update this itty bitty baby mod with some interesting new things I've discovered lately, but I'll most likely just wait until some new DF versions, as I'm sure everyone can tell that Big Things are currently in the works.

In the meantime, have any of you who've tried the mod battled any necromancers in either fortress or adv mode? If so, how would you rate the difficulty? I found it tough to judge them accurately as them choosing to ignore or overuse their webbing/firebreath could be completely unpredictable.

quot;wat"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

Zombie mayor: "I'm too tired of this life. Free me if you can. But don't expect an easy prey, the evil magicks inside me still make me stand and fight to the end!"
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2