Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress  (Read 11156 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Sims 3 programmers play dwarf fortress
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

In fallout 2, I always liked shooting three big half-robotic soldiers in the eye -- blowing their brains out -- every round.  Of course, one miss and I'd be chewing on rockets.</STRONG>

I loved shooting the "Lethal Edition" BB gun at someone and watching their chest explode from a BB.  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Person:
<STRONG>

Where did the Presentation Arc after Army Arc rumor come from? IRC? I haven't seen anything on the forums or website about plans after the Army Arc.

</STRONG>

I don't recall if I saw this on the forums or in one of the interviews Toady gave. He said he would have to work on the Presentation Arc after the Army Arc if he was running out of money by the time, I think, to atract more people to the game.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Chases by Skeletal Elks

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Yeah, we're considering it.  If there's no money, there's no game, Threetoe hates his job, and if I get sick, it's all over with, so we have to think ahead a bit.  We haven't made any decisions.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 01:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>Here's an example of a bad thing in DF interface: you have to open the view screen for every individual item you want to dump, which gets pretty cumbersome when you're dumping rock.</STRONG>

uh, no you dont...

just hit k while playing, and d over whatever you want dumped. no need to go to the view screen.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

For myself, the ASCII isn't something I prefer because I'm an elitist or want to make the playing experience as esoteric as possible for newbies, I like ASCII because it allows my imagination to fill the holes. A dwarf with a left eye missing who falls unconscious while carrying out tasks? Sure, I could imagine that. I'd rather not have it depicted for me.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:00 am »

I think that the lack of mouse controls (other than for designating, which has been useful sometime) makes it easier to play.  I've always liked games that I could play entirely with the keyboard.

Also, using ASCII instead of graphics makes it much easier to add new content, without having to compete with 'game quality' images.  Just choose a character and color, and you're done.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2008, 04:58:00 am »

I agree with Apache,  Think of some other games that use Graphics, when you add custom content, you need to do all the graphics and shit, sometimes you even need a program to get finer control.  

(Main example in-line with the Topic,  The Sims, and The Sims 2.)  Now those are 3d, or semi-3d (depending on which one you're playing.). That being said, I'm not against the game getting graphics.  

But I believe the topic was all about how cool it is that Sims 3 programmers are playing Dwarf Fortress... which is awesome.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kalimar:
<STRONG>

I don't know of any company which would render the violence of DF in 3D. The issue of children most especially.</STRONG>

Heh, perhaps Electronic Arts as parodied in jPod, a Canadian TV show.

That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

I don't much care about the beauty of the graphics -- that's just eye candy.  I care about the UI, which currently is not very good: it's hard to discover new things, and similar tasks are often done using orthogonal methods.  It obviously doesn't stop me from playing it, but it does stop a lot of other people I know.  Basically, I want to play Dwarf Fortress.  I don't want to play "should I use the arrow keys or the +- keys here?"</STRONG>

correct, graphics is eye candy, however in a complex game like this, its hard to follow that what is happening on the screen with ascii symbols. It would be much more better to have 2d graphics for example...not to mention that everyone who would like to make own tiles could do it. You don't like XY's tiles, make your own. If you don't want to use tiles, stay with ASCII.
The thing is, that no one will be forced to use graphics, because the vanilla game will be ASCII forever. What we need is the the support to make and use graphical tiles for everything in game. Toady wouldnt have to make a single sprite.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

hum.
i just wanted to reply as i read :
quote:
I don't much care about the beauty of the graphics -- that's just eye candy. I care about the UI, which currently is not very good: it's hard to discover new things, and similar tasks are often done using orthogonal methods. It obviously doesn't stop me from playing it, but it does stop a lot of other people I know. Basically, I want to play Dwarf Fortress. I don't want to play "should I use the arrow keys or the +- keys here?"  

, written by benoit.hudson

i feel,  that i can not add anything to this post.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

quote:
not to mention that everyone who would like to make own tiles could do it.

I see a lot of discussion about tilesets RIGHT NOW.  Still, that is the least of worries.

An API for us to write interface on would be useful.  Then 3Dwarf could use the API to draw very pretty pictures, though it might be too slow to play (and too much effort to make a usable UI for).  Meanwhile, the 2D tile-based UI we currently have could be revamped on *our* time, leaving Toady and ThreeToe to polish and deepen the engine and stories, which they've shown they are experts at doing.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

quote:
uh, no you dont...

just hit k while playing, and d over whatever you want dumped. no need to go to the view screen.

Well, you got me there. But still, it's very tedious to dump large amount of stones. And let's not even get into how many key presses it takes to construct an above-ground castle. Point is, there's plenty of room for improvement on the interface.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: DJ ]

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

Just be patient guys you will get your tile support eventually.  I git here in the fall of 06 and look where we are now??? C my point?  :)
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, we're considering it.  If there's no money, there's no game, Threetoe hates his job, and if I get sick, it's all over with, so we have to think ahead a bit.  We haven't made any decisions.</STRONG>

uhm perhaps in that case I should donate also, regardless that I really miss a good UI + full tile gfx support...considering that I was playing with this game like 100+ hours totally.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9