Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: (renamed)Working on a pokemod.  (Read 10279 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
(renamed)Working on a pokemod.
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »

I usually just make little things.  Rarely with any relation to each other. But now I'm considering making a real mod.  I got two ideas for one but each one has a  thing I would have difficulty getting around.

> Pokemon.  This idea is just a mod that replaces all wild animals with pokemon. Nothing is done to entities, and the pokemon are added as their personalities and looks indicate.  For example a charizard would be a flying carnivore, pikachu would be a small non-aggressive creature. Things like 'ubers' and legendaries would be semimegabeasts and megabeasts.

I would also change some plants to berries(not all as they would pretty much all be identical just with different names and not have any extra uses)

+ The plus is that I would not have the difficulty of thinking creatures up.  All I would have to do is conversions. I do conversions alot so that would be no problem.  I could also probably do a quick and dirty concept version relatively quickly.

- The negative is that it's not very original, and I wouldn't be able to do most attacks, they would mostly just use claws and bites, maybe some elemental stuff if I can make sense of them being only usable at close range.  There is also the minor issue that I only play the games, I don't watch the show, I may have missed details.

> The other idea was a sort of alternate evolution path deal. Dinosaurs didn't die out, and some evolved into humanoids and dragons.  This would have new entities and some changed or removed wildlife. Most creatures would be unique.

+ The plus is that this would be sorta original.

- The negatives are 1)after searching a bit I noticed the Jurassic mod is almost the same thing. 2)I am awful at thinking up unique names for things. 3)I don't have the patience for the language files. 4)And this one has a better chance of me losing interest halfway though.

=

I've never done a big mod like either of these before because I tend to become satisfied with an unfinished creation during testing. I get to the point where I'm far more interested in playing it then working on it. I'm hoping this will be different.

I'm hoping to get a chance to see which one people would want more and it they are actually worth working on. Anyway, thoughts?

EDIT: Something just came up and I may not be able to respond immediately.  But I'll still check the responses tomorrow morning and try to do short responses during the night tonight if the opportunities present themselves.

EDIT2: thread title.

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (renamed)Working on a pokemod.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Personally, I think the Pokemon one would be pretty neat, and I'd like to play a world or two with it.
Both sound nice, but that one in particular sounds like a better beginner mod to start with.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

Ok then, I figured it would be the easier one to do. I just kinda expected a unanimous "eww. Pokemon." response.

I'll work on that then.  I'll probably post something when I replaced all the vanilla creatures with pokemon equivalents (horse=rapidash, lion=luxio) that shouldn't take long as most of their data will already be there and correct.

For 3 teir evolutions I'll probably make the 2nd and 3rd forms 2 separate adult creatures and have the 1st form the child name of both.

None of this is stuff I haven't done before, it's just the act of keeping at it long enough to put it all together that worries me.  At least I have most of the size and habitat information readily available between my...*counting* 8 pokemon games.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

The 'eww pokemon' response is overrated.  I still play the games (on emulators) for fun to this day.  I've always loved creature raising games...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

I hate pokemon because I can never get the pokeball in time and some bastard will throw it at me just when I almost grab the ledge of the stage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

The pokemon will be violently ripped to pieces and strangle each other to death unless you add some extra flags, and spurts of extreme violence might still be unavoidable.  If that's an issue, feel free to suggest any quick options that might help child-proof your vision.  Of course, it might not be an issue.  There are plenty of blood colors available if you go the other direction (a few of the blood tags aren't used by the regular DF objects, I think).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

Yes, because we all need a swarm of squirtles whipped into a killing frenzy, and who bleed yellow pus when hit.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

You gouge The bulbasaurs right eye with Your left hand!
the bulbasaur bites you in the lower body! it is ripped!
You hack at the bulbasuar in the upper body! The bulbasaurs head flies off in a bloody arc!

I do entertain thoughts of hacking away at the despoiler of my youth...

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

I kinda figure people already know that this game is kinda violent even before they start looking for mods. I'll try to make a slightly less violent version if people request it but I'm kinda unsure of how successful it would be.  

So far since the first version I want to make will just replace the vanilla stuff. I started in the raw file order. So far I got
dog=houndoom cat1=persian cat2=delcatty(might add purugly) horse=rapidash cow=miltank/tauros

Giant Eagle=skarmory (might add more soon I couldn't find any pokemon matching the other mountain entries and I don't want any depopulated biomes)

Walrus=sealeo/walrein  Whale=Wailord Sharks=sharpedo Skate/manta ray=mantine Coanclith(sp)=relicanth

I'm going to add more but it's 2:30 and I need to go to sleep.  Obviously these are subject to change and/or additions.  Skarm drops steel bars on death right now.

EDIT: Really, when you think about it. Pokemon can be pretty dark...  I mean they are trained into ruthless killing machines by their masters who kidnap them from their homes in the wilderness cramped into a tiny ball.  And then theres the forced breeding in the building that also happens to double as a DAY CARE CENTER!  Oh and I'm forgetting about the gambling.  Random trainers bet money on pokemon fights in the middle of nowhere, sometimes with unwilling participants.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:09:00 am »

just wait till fire pokemon wander into your fortress, throwing fireballs, breathing fire, and, in the case of ponyta, lighting the world on fire by simply existing   :cool:

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

less violent? lol everyone knows they are secretly telling you to kil your parent with the games and yes i do play the games on emu and mod them so i could get ahold of a tile set very easly and most of the pokemon sprites facing in most directions
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

Not sure I'll make things like rapidash and ponyta literally on fire.  They don't seem to invoke a massive unstoppable fireball everywhere they go.  Right now with my quick and dirty version they just have a burn type attack which I may turn into heat and a reasonably high fixedtemp.  According to my pokedex they seem to live on grasslands and they wouldn't be grassland for very long if they burned grass.

Stuff like slugma or magcargo will defiantly burn grass around them though.  But they will also live in magma vents so that wouldn't be all that different than what could happen now.

Not sure how I'll handle firebreath.  Just giving it to everything that can learn flamethrower seems like there would be way too many flinging burning death about.  I might just give it to the stuff that seems to be able to hold a particularly strong flame(magcargo, charizard, moltres, ect.)

EDIT: Recent additions since last post; Feebas(seperate creature from milotic) Lumineon, Magikarp(0:0 damage splash attack) remoraid,(attacks with water gun) carvanha(seperate from sharpedo) ursaring,(I get conflicting habitat info. put them in forests) stantler, Leafeon(part of a series) Ninetails, Aipom,(item thief) Mightyena, diglett,(needs work) feraligatr,(big humanoid alligator with powerful bite)

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>Ok then, I figured it would be the easier one to do. I just kinda expected a unanimous "eww. Pokemon." response.
</STRONG>

Eww, Pokemon. Happy?

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>I hate pokemon because I can never get the pokeball in time and some bastard will throw it at me just when I almost grab the ledge of the stage.</STRONG>

Ledge = Death. At our arena that is only fair if it is thrown from below or further out (mutual death or skill kill). Little Link beeeatch.

The Hidden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

A Pokemon mod for DF would be genius!
hat''s it for now.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>Not sure I'll make things like rapidash and ponyta literally on fire.  They don't seem to invoke a massive unstoppable fireball everywhere they go.  Right now with my quick and dirty version they just have a burn type attack which I may turn into heat and a reasonably high fixedtemp.  According to my pokedex they seem to live on grasslands and they wouldn't be grassland for very long if they burned grass.

Stuff like slugma or magcargo will defiantly burn grass around them though.  But they will also live in magma vents so that wouldn't be all that different than what could happen now.

Not sure how I'll handle firebreath.  Just giving it to everything that can learn flamethrower seems like there would be way too many flinging burning death about.  I might just give it to the stuff that seems to be able to hold a particularly strong flame(magcargo, charizard, moltres, ect.)

EDIT: Recent additions since last post; Feebas(seperate creature from milotic) Lumineon, Magikarp(0:0 damage splash attack) remoraid,(attacks with water gun) carvanha(seperate from sharpedo) ursaring,(I get conflicting habitat info. put them in forests) stantler, Leafeon(part of a series) Ninetails, Aipom,(item thief) Mightyena, diglett,(needs work) feraligatr,(big humanoid alligator with powerful bite)

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]</STRONG>

Magikarp? Even with a 0:0 attack, as a member of the carp family, he'll still easily slaughter dwarves. (He can learn tackle or use flail.)

The best part will be to turn humans into Pokemon trainers, kobolds into Team Rocket, goblins into Team Galactic (I dunno about these two), elves into Nurse Joys, and uhh... I dunno about dwarves. Profs?

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4