Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last number in vein/cluster lines  (Read 1658 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Last number in vein/cluster lines
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

frex:

[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]

What's that 100? There's VEIN, CLUSTER, and CLUSTER_SMALL; with CLUSTER_SMALL it seems like it can't be size, but it makes no sense as a probability because lots of maps will lack a vein of, say, flux, even if they have the rock to support it. (or so I read; I don't generally use reveal.exe or mine out the entire map)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Last number in vein/cluster lines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

It's not a probability exactly, just a frequency relative to other candidates in the layer, once those candidates have been chosen.  So if you have a 100 and a 1 in the same layer, then the 100 will be chosen much more often.  Whether the 100 and 1 are chosen in the first place for that layer on the world map is independent of those numbers, and there it will be biased towards useful stones, and then it will pick others at random I think.  There should probably be another field to control the global behavior, or a mixing and revision in general.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

Hmm, I see how that works now, okay. Thanks. =)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:18:00 am »

So, more useful stone is chosen first, then more valuable, then random? I mean in terms of relative probability.

In general, yeah, it would be nice to have a global occurence control in addition to the per-layer. More placement variants would also be welcome, although that's suggestion material already.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India