Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Further reducing the severity of beatings  (Read 158 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Further reducing the severity of beatings
« on: October 04, 2024, 04:57:44 am »

Right now beatings can be pretty lethal even with just bare hands. Cheesing it by appointing weaklings as fortress guards isn't really true to the spirit of enforcing punishment. I think the problem is a tendency for creatures in combat to have a preference for attacking the head. If this preference could be changed to body or limbs during punishments the outcome will hopefully be not too severe.

edit: oops, meant to post in an existing thread re:beatings, but forgot about it while browsing other threads. My bad.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 05:00:04 am by amade »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Further reducing the severity of beatings
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 03:01:18 pm »

I agree. Especially with the criminal arc around the corner. Assigning weaklings to your fortress guard probably won’t be a viable solution anymore.

Beating also shouldn’t be sentenced if a jail is available. It’s so frustrating to have a huge jail built only for the sherif to cripple your legendary weapon smith anyway.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 03:12:36 pm by Urist Mchateselves »
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Further reducing the severity of beatings
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2024, 03:54:43 pm »

It’s not just that they’re targeting the wrong parts of the body, they’re also striking too hard.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.