Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [IC] Flames of Hope: The Fall of the Dragon Empire  (Read 284 times)

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
[IC] Flames of Hope: The Fall of the Dragon Empire
« on: September 19, 2024, 02:41:49 pm »

A frail-looking man stood behind a podium, his hands shook a bit as they grasped it for support. Though his hair had only partially greyed, it was clear that the years were already taking their toll. Still, he spoke with a clear voice. He spoke of the great threat that humanity faced, of suffering in the outer regions where the dragons had struck only last week, of the tribulation that you would certainly face, and of hope for the future. You, you were our hope. Our one and only hope...

Lamprys

Though actually a little shorter than Lamprys, the dark-haired woman still seemed to tower over him as she glared. "Terrible." she said flatly, "Is this what qualifies for 'medical training' at your little school? Unbelievable. They honestly think they can just send me a dropout because your ability has a tangential relation to medicine? You'd be more useful teaching preschool." She made a loud grumbling noise and turned to lead Lamprys back towards her desk. "Get rid of that and come with me."

Everyone Else

As Mr. Lauro stepped down, another speaker was ushered to the podium. Much younger, younger than even some of the gathered dracotines, he still managed to carry himself with purpose and confidence. An illusion which broke the instant the king opened his mouth. "So, um, you are all important to the security of our nation and, uh, you should be proud to stand here. As Mr. Lauro said, you, uh, represent, um, our hope. Humanity, um, needs you. So as you receive your orders and go into the field for the first time, remember what you're, um, protecting."

The king's speech went on for a good five minutes, though the original script was probably intended to be half that length.

As he finished, Captain Dai, who had started the proceedings, stepped forward to finish them. "The words of our speakers are wise, and I would be remiss to try to surpass them. So I've only one thing to say to all of you: Good work, and good luck."

With that, the assembly came to a close, and the gathered dracotine warriors were dismissed to receive their assignments.

Vakari

Leader Campbell slipped a piece of cucumber into his mouth as he waited for Vakari to enter his office. He was lounging in a manner very much not befitting of the seriousness of the date, with his legs on his desk and a some paperwork toppled to the side of the desk where he had accidentally kicked it off. Somehow he still managed to look extremely intimidating.

Amara and Saif

Having both been assigned to lead their own teams, Amara and Saif were immediately sent to Leader Boss's office in order to meet with her. They were both familiar from strategy classes at the cadet academy, but it was still a tense visit. Not only were they freshly minted dracotine warriors, they'd successfully graduated the cadet program as low-ranking officers. It was now their duty to lead the other freshly minted dracotines into battles that they were, frankly, sure to lose. It was no small amount of pressure, and no amount of well-wishing from the ship's captain could change the fact that the world was on the brink of ending.
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Flames of Hope: The Fall of the Dragon Empire
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2024, 03:17:18 pm »

Amara
Still beset with no small amount of doubts, Amara nonetheless refused to let it even an ounce of it spill into her countenance. Truth be told, she never set out to lead or present herself as worthy as such, she had simply done whatever duty called for, no more and no less. But now, for the first time in forever, she found herself utterly unsure if she could do what was needed. Simply put: what they required was a miracle. And miracles were ever in short supply.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 03:44:19 pm by Sutoratosu Akira »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 04:25:04 pm »

Saif

As honorable as graduating the program as a team leader was, the responsibility weighed heavily and Saif was tense as he headed to the office. The dracotine couldn't say he was truly prepared for the task at head, but who would be in this situation? What mattered is being prepared enough, and that much he believed in much how his superiors had.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 09:42:29 pm »

Lamprys

Lamprys bites his tongue as his superior berates himonce again. No, this isn't what passes for medical training. I didn't have medical training. I barely had a first response course by virtue of the fact that, you know, i am fucking 18 going to a school where the objective was to destroy, not to heal. This is what passes through his mind, but he knows better than to express this sentiment. No one likes a whiny guy. So he forces his face into a neutral expression and looks again at what he was working on. The wound on the pig's skin is an absolute mess of stitches and thread by now. If this was real, the patient would develop the ugliest scar know to mankind. Or die of infection. Or suicide, after seeing the scar. he muses as he takes the skin into his hands.

He properly disposes of his failure and takes off his gloves before following his mentor out of the practice room and into her office, trying to keep a respectful distance without falling behind. 
« Last Edit: Today at 09:24:57 am by Leonardo8 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2024, 10:02:40 pm »

Vakari

Leader Campbell slipped a piece of cucumber into his mouth as he waited for Vakari to enter his office. He was lounging in a manner very much not befitting of the seriousness of the date, with his legs on his desk and a some paperwork toppled to the side of the desk where he had accidentally kicked it off. Somehow he still managed to look extremely intimidating.

Tak

Tak

Tak

The regular sound of steps on metal preceded the dracotine's arrival, but it wasn't long before Vakari appeared in the doorframe.
He didn't quite 'snap to attention', but his quick salute was crisp and professional nonetheless. He also very professionally and stoically neglected to react to the toppled paperwork, in such a manner that it was blatantly obvious that he disapproved.

"Salutations, Leader Campbell. Elite Warrior Delthera, reporting as requested. What do you require, sir?" The words are stiff, but the tone is pleasant - readied, but not tensed. Unaffected by the intimidating appearance of the Leader.
The danger of command was directed outward... at least when wielded properly. Leader Campbell held that sword looser than most, but it was no hiltless blade in his hands.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:16:17 am »

Amara and Saif

Leader Boss stood as her former students entered the room. She had the same soft expression she always had, but even she gave off a sense of unease. "Warriors Asghar and Pharos, allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your appointment as team leaders." she said straightforwardly, "You've both worked hard as my students, I expect you to work equally hard as my officers."

Lamprys

Dr. Saan gestured to her desk. "You can at least do math, yes? Make yourself useful and go over the requisition forms to make sure they're within the budget, you can leave when you're finished. I'll try to find a nurse with enough free time tomorrow to at least train you in how to not botch a basic blood draw." She didn't even wait for an answer before leaving Lamprys alone in the room.

Vakari

Leader Campbell gave a brief smile as Vakari entered the doorway. With a bit of effort, he hefted his wooden leg over the side of the desk, barely avoiding landing it right on the spilt paperwork. It was a heavy prosthetic, poorly designed and at risk of breaking any day, but its proper replacement was rare and difficult to maintain, so Leader Campbell only wore it for situations where agility was a necessary trait. All other times Vakari had seen him, he'd been wearing that rotted old stump.

"Vakari!" he announced unprofessionally, "It's good to have you on board, son." He made an effort to stand, but rapidly decided it was too much effort. "Bah." he muttered. After thinking for a moment, he gestured to one of the chairs on the other side of his desk. "Have a seat, my boy. Did the brass give you a memo on what you'll be doing?"
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:31:07 pm »

Saif

"Thank you, ma'am. And I'll do my best." the dracotine energetically replied after a crisp but not-too-stiff salute. Having Leader Boss also showing unease didn't calm Saif down, though it did instead trigger a protective reaction making act like he was less worried than he actually was. Instead of focusing on fitness for leadership, his thoughts instead wandered towards the teams he and Amara would be assigned, and though he didn't say it out loud to avoid speaking more than his teacher and superior, the natural curiosity was all over his face.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:15:16 pm »

Lamprys

When Lamprys looked at the forms his spirits lifted, if only just a bit. He was good with math. No one beat him when it came to calculate projectile trajectories in school. Not that it mattered of course. Perfectly calculating the path of projectiles he could not shoot was an exercise in futility. Still, at least this was the kind of job he could do well and sitting down. His favourites. "Thank you Dr Saan" he says, though the woman is already leaving. Still he sits down and starts to work on those forms.

They are perfect of course. No one would dare make Dr Saan angry by going overbudget. Still, looking at all those numbers after a day of training is enough to make his head spin. He looks at his limiter, disappointed. They could have at least given me the activation code...are they afraid i'll heal someone to death? he thinks, forcing himself to pay attention to the last few numbers. Finally, when he is done, he makes sure to close the door before starting to walk back home, massaging his temples to soothe the headache.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:40:26 pm »

Vakari

Leader Campbell gave a brief smile as Vakari entered the doorway. With a bit of effort, he hefted his wooden leg over the side of the desk, barely avoiding landing it right on the spilt paperwork. It was a heavy prosthetic, poorly designed and at risk of breaking any day, but its proper replacement was rare and difficult to maintain, so Leader Campbell only wore it for situations where agility was a necessary trait. All other times Vakari had seen him, he'd been wearing that rotted old stump.

"Vakari!" he announced unprofessionally, "It's good to have you on board, son." He made an effort to stand, but rapidly decided it was too much effort. "Bah." he muttered. After thinking for a moment, he gestured to one of the chairs on the other side of his desk. "Have a seat, my boy. Did the brass give you a memo on what you'll be doing?"

One would think there'd be the resources to spare for a newer, non-rotten basic prosthetic for somebody like Leader Campbell. Maybe it was sentimentality. There were worse things to have, and worse things to have it for.

Vakari strode into the room, and smoothly maneuvered the chair to bring himself to a seat across from the Leader. He sat upright, attentive without being rigid. He held his arms flat on the desk in front of him, one hand slowly tapping fingers against the opposite forearm unconsciously.
"I'm afraid that I have not received any such communications, Leader. Should I have been informed?"
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 10:37:43 pm »

Amara
"Of course." As was custom for any moment where it didn't matter, Amara's voice was barely above a whisper even as she saluted. She, however, was not afraid to skip the rest of the formalities and get right to the point. "...our subordinates?"
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler