Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Colonial Conquest [Turn 4: Doer Tutorial]  (Read 1548 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colonial Conquest [Turn 2: Thinker Tutorial]
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2024, 11:41:20 pm »

May I ask how the consumption of resources works? Trying to gauge if we have enough food for our population.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 01:11:53 am by ZBridges »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2024, 02:25:34 am »

We need to lay out the foundations of our society, and what better way than a social contract?

Thinker - Communal Responsibility
Every one of us is responsible for not only our continued survival, but also for ensuring we live and thrive in our new home. Thus every individual owes their time and expertise to the group, and the group owes protection and support to each member. Those who contribute most will be appropriately compensated, but those who cannot contribute will still be cared for.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2024, 06:45:52 am »

May I ask how the consumption of resources works? Trying to gauge if we have enough food for our population.

Most techs and the like will have an upkeep associated with them that will reduce the amount of that resource available by their cost for as long as the tech or equipment is in use. Do keep in mind that you’re in some tutorial turns though, so chances are I’m not going to starve you to death. Probably.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2024, 08:31:17 am »

Poor Terry. Anyway. From my understanding this isn't the Wheel turn, unless how to make wheeled carts counts...?

Thinker: Basics of Transport
One of the first inventions of mana was the wheel. It allowed the transport of goods in larger amounts, increased the range in which people could travel, and ultimately served as the basis of a connected society. The connection between wheel, axel, and rotation serves as the cornerstone for carts and levers alike.

FiveBalesOfHay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2024, 10:31:17 am »

Are the animals from the terraforming semi-domesticated or genetically modified to be easier to hunt or something? Otherwise it seems we don't have any food, with no way to hunt the animals. Also, what are we going to do with a wheeled cart?

Thinker: Basic Herbalism
Learn what plants are available to be gathered and eaten here in the plains, as well as the nearby swamp if it's close enough.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2024, 10:59:20 am »

Mostly for timber and to explore the nearby areas. Timber will let us build more houses without relying on scrap, as well as furniture. Can  either fit together a motor somehow, or domesticate bison for a cart. While we could walk to the areas around us, transporting materials back kinda needs transports anyway. And most importantly it's going to be needed long term if we expand. Mountains have stone which would be too heavy, as an example.

As a question MoP, we have 3 swamps on the regions identified, yet the southern one is colored a bit different? I assume that's meant to be the badland.

Regions Identified:
-1,-1: OCEAN (-1, 1 on map tile and update)
-1,0: SWAMP
-1,1: PLAIN (-1, -1 on map tile and update)
0,-1: SWAMP (Badland by color identifier)
0,0: PLAIN, Ceridwen Crash Site, Trash Converter
0,1: SWAMP
1,-1: BADLAND (Desert by color identifier)
1,0: MOUNTAIN
1,1: OCEAN

Thinking of it, food is of concern yeah.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 11:12:28 am by TricMagic »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2024, 11:23:22 am »

As a question MoP, we have 3 swamps on the regions identified, yet the southern one is colored a bit different? I assume that's meant to be the badland.
That section needed a quick quintuple check, there was a mixup somewhere between what I had in my notebook, how I translated that to google docs, and then what I put here, oops. The map and key were correct, grid methods flipflopped and made a mess in the text bit is all.

From my understanding this isn't the Wheel turn, unless how to make wheeled carts counts...?
Wheels and transports are physical things, and the concept of the wheel itself does not really impact society as a whole, or at least how it functions day-to-day, much in the way that the concept of antimatter engines doesn't impact our society today. You could certainly try to work something logistics-related into a Thinker action, but an actual physical object should be saved for the Creator actions on account of it being a thing that is created.

Are the animals from the terraforming semi-domesticated or genetically modified to be easier to hunt or something?
Nope, you've just got a bunch of scrap tools and a lot of people who want to be fed. You could certainly be more efficient, and might have to be as time goes on, but it's a sustainable situation for now.

Thinker: Basic Herbalism
Fine other than the mention of the Swamp, as it's outside your borders and therefore a valid target for Doer or Decider actions. The colony's borders are marked in pink on the map, and as you progress you'll be better informed on where you can go and what's within range - especially when complications start to pop up. But that's spoilers for another time ;) Apologies if I'm seeming cagey or not quite forward with responses, the tutorial bit has been curated to go over everything without a massive text dump, and I'm trying to balance giving answers that are more satisfying than "don't worry about it yet" while also maintaining pacing.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2024, 11:54:09 am »

Here's one that will cause a few complications down the line.
It will pair well with a "sorting through tech scraps" action on turn 1 or 2. With any luck that gets us some toys or tools with rotary motors, which a creative layperson who's tired of grinding grain by mortar and pestle should be able to convert to a tiny mill.

Thinker: Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old
It would be easy for us to scatter to the winds and live off of the wilds. But then our children's children would forget the splendor of Earth, the great machines that could grow fields of food as far as the eye can see, and the buildings that piece the sky. Our people would forever exist as small groups living on wild berries.

For our children's children, we must learn to cooperate and thrive as one people. We must tell our children stories of Earth and her machines, so they remember where we were, and where we may one day reach once more. We must work together to figure out what we can salvage from the few scraps left to us, and what we can do with this great smog spewing Converter. If we work hard to regrow the vestiges of the past, then the fruits of the future will benefit us all.

Colony Name: The Reclamation
This is a civilization name, not a town name.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2024, 01:29:00 pm »

I'd go with Mira to crib a name. (Ocean/Peace) Mirai means future. Or could go for Pylos, lost pylons.

Thinker- Logistics
The distribution of manpower and resources, so that all receive their due.

Got not much else rattling around... Well.

Thinker - Nature's BalanceA school of thought to not take more than what is needed, and work within nature, planting new trees when old ones are cut down as an example, or using everything an animal gives. Perhaps it's a bit at odds with how the trash converter could covert offal to power, but that same offal could be used as food if handled correctly. If nature is kept healthy, it will continue to provide. If one does not waste, they will find themselves with more.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2024, 05:13:36 am »

Quote from: Proposal Votebox
Communal Responsibility (0):
Basics of Transport (0):
Basic Herbalism (0):
Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old (1): ZBridges
Nature's Balance (0):

Quote from: Name Votebox
The Reclamation (0):
Mira (0):
Mirai (0):
Pylos (0):
New Hearth (1): ZBridges
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 05:17:51 am by ZBridges »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2024, 06:12:13 am »

Basics of Transport (0):
Basic Herbalism (0):
Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old (1): ZBridges
Nature's Balance (1): TricMagic

The Reclamation (0):
Mira (1): TricMagic
Mirai (0):
Pylos (0):

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2024, 11:32:41 am »

Hunter-gatherers have an easier life than early agriculturalists, and we have no group identity, nor any consumer goods to bribe people, nor any external threats to unite ourselves. We need a culture or goal here, because otherwise people ask themselves "Is it easier to take some friends and spend a few hours a day gathering in the untouched wilderness, or to toil for the bossy strangers who woke up first?"
If they leave, they'll have no reason to come back, and there's likely to be generations of cultural divergence before we have the luxuries to bribe them back.
If we have some reason for people to work for us, then hungry people who disperse might come back to us after starvation stops being a threat.

Basics of Transport (0):
Basic Herbalism (0):
Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old (2): ZBridges, Nirur

The Reclamation (0):
Mirai (1): Nirur
Pylos (0):

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2024, 12:03:15 pm »

I like the sound of this one.

Basics of Transport (0):
Basic Herbalism (0):
Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old (3): ZBridges, Nirur, Kashyyk

And what are these names for,  the Civ or our Settlement?
The Reclamation (0):
Mirai (1): Nirur
Pylos (0):

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2024, 01:10:45 pm »

Civ names, I think.
Basics of Transport (0):
Basic Herbalism (0):
Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old (4): ZBridges, Nirur, Kashyyk, VSkies

The Reclamation (0):
Mirai (2): Nirur, VSkies
Pylos (0):

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2024, 04:02:36 pm »

And what are these names for,  the Civ or our Settlement?
Right now that's the same thing. We can probably change our minds on either point later.

Basics of Transport (0):
Basic Herbalism (0):
Communal Ethos - Reclaim The Old (5): ZBridges, Nirur, Kashyyk, VSkies, IronyOwl

The Reclamation (0):
Mirai (2): Nirur, VSkies
Pylos (0):
New Hearth (2): ZBridges, IronyOwl
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4