Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Modular Units: a Mercenary tale of Mechs, Missions, and Money  (Read 2827 times)

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Units: a Mercenary tale of Mechs, Missions, and Money
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2024, 02:27:50 pm »

Drinking game! Take a swig every time the buff lady says an awkward pickup line. Invite the mercs next to me to join in.

Mercy Smith "Caliber" [Reach Heaven] - (VermilionSkies)

Balance: 500 VC
Current MU: Reach Heaven
Hangar #1: Reach Heaven
----------

Spoiler: Quarters (click to show/hide)

----------

Spoiler: Mercy Smith "Caliber" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MU: Reach Heaven (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2024, 02:48:50 pm »

Assuming there's nothing more to the tour, he swaps a few more ideas with SCRAP mechanics before he begins to route to the Toad's Bay. Overhearing loose lipped drunken pirates was a surprisingly insightful source of local information and he assumed mercenaries the same, so he would have to put up with be in the vicinity of a crowd.

Time passed in a blink for Drifter and the mechanics over at the Scrapsters, and they would have surely gone on longer discussions about actuator designs had a supervisor not reminded them they still had a few orders to complete before the end of the working day. Seeing it was time to get back to work, Stukor accompanied the pilot back to the entrance and left him with a few more tips.

[SCR] Stokur Urost: "Dat was a pleasure "Drifter". Don't forget wadda told ya! If you need a part appraised, or got some scrap to sell, hit up the Scrapsters! We can even recondition some unusable parts for a fee! Oh and if ya don't have one a' yar merc jobs going on, ya can't find decent scrap in da Great Rust Field. I'm sure someone with an eye like yars will find some decent stuff."

----------

At the Bay:

Without hitting up his shack to get rid of they layer of grime he had gathered in the Scrapsters, Drifter then headed for the Bay. Although he wasn't the stinkiest fellow here, he still looked as if he had woken up from a nap spent under the hood of a MU. Following him like a dog, a little cleaner bot was diligently cleaning the oily trail left by his every steps.

Rumours:

Most people either avoided his fragrant presence or stopped speaking to pinch their sensible noses when Drifter passed by to listen. Only a few didn't seem bothered by this, those who had a similar grimy getup: salvagers. Sharing a few glasses and stories with some of them, Drifter learnt of a few more ruins that had been sighted over in the Great Rust Field. Premium info among fellow salvagers as not even the corps were on it yet.

Interesting Individuals:

Drifter might attempt to interact with one of the players at the Bay:
- mister dark and handsome
- mister ex-military
- miss femme very fatale
- the extrovert youth

----------

Drinking game! Take a swig every time the buff lady says an awkward pickup line. Invite the mercs next to me to join in.

----------

----------

Undisturbed by the pretty lady blatantly ignoring them for someone more chic, Caliber decided to hang out with some nearby mercs who were all out of entertainment and who also had been keeping an eye on the red lady. Most of them are from HUB, while some are corporate pilots. All of them are expectantly waiting glass or mug in hand for buff lady to make her next move.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 09:03:17 pm by Nakéen »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2024, 04:49:46 pm »

"I wouldn't dare refuse," He replied, putting on a light smile.

"Of course." She motions for a robotic server to bring a pair of drinks. With the instruction to bring something expensive. Appearances are important, after all.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2024, 05:11:36 pm »

"...Is that cliched enough to count? What do y'all think?"

----------

----------

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2024, 08:52:27 pm »

The Great Rust Field had been mentioned twice now, Drifter decided to ply more information on the location. While to the point and blunt, such things were fortunately normal and appreciated amongst salvagers, assuming there was no bad blood or insult of course.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2024, 10:59:33 pm »

"I wouldn't dare refuse," He replied, putting on a light smile.

"Of course." She motions for a robotic server to bring a pair of drinks. With the instruction to bring something expensive. Appearances are important, after all.
"...Is that cliched enough to count? What do y'all think?"

----------

----------

The state of the art corporate AI determined it could fleece suggest refined spirits to this customer who was waiving around a payment card. The robotic waiter returned soon after with two crystall glasses with no more than a drop of an amber liquid resting at the bottom.

> Two glasses of Marduk's Stargazer, Special Grade.

He then attempted to scan the payment card of the assertive lady.

Lu ██████ "Wrecker" [Skew] - (Egan_BW)

Balance: 0 VC
Balance: 0 VC

Beep!

> Our apologies, the payment could not be processed. Do you have another payment card?

Hmm now that's a problem.

I don't intend to count drinks and stuff as expenditures, but well at least have some pocket change on your bank account!

----------

The beep was loud enough to be audible to the merry band of insensitive onlookers who were spying on the courtship attempts of one of their fellows. No consensus had yet been reached on whether or not the line was cliched enough that some unexpected but maybe kinda expected wrench appeared in the plan of the beautiful lady. One of the mercs whispered to the group.

Merc With a Beer: "Who bet she is going to make the guy pay?"

Merc With Two Beers: "Just like my last shitty guy of a date? You are on."

Then the woman pulled another card and checked. This one worked, it seems she had accidentally used an expired one. She, in fact, was a merc with money! 4000 VC very exactly!

Merc With a Beer: "Fuck I already lost?!"

The Great Rust Field had been mentioned twice now, Drifter decided to ply more information on the location. While to the point and blunt, such things were fortunately normal and appreciated amongst salvagers, assuming there was no bad blood or insult of course.

Rumors

Grimy Scavenger Pilot: "The Great Rust Field? Ah you said you arrived to Begreris recently. You might have seen it from the surface, practically a continent of rust from orbit. You gotta see it to believe it. Rust as far as the eye can see, with riches you cannot even imagine waiting below."

Scavenger Pilot with a breathing mask: "*shhhh* The remains of an ancient superstructure. Megalopolis, but bigger. Much bigger. Below the surface dust, it's steel. Steel that goes so deep you wouldn't be surprised if it reached the planet's mantle. *shhhh*"

Grimy Scavenger Pilot: "Still, it's a dangerous place. Full of rogue drones and other traps from an old era, and worse. But that's the fun of it, what's a treasure without a little thrill? It's a treasure hunter's dream down there."

Scavenger Pilot with a breathing mask: "*shhhh* Turned out to shit when the corps arrived though. Many salvagers sell out their info for some quick VCs. *shhhh*"

Grimy Scavenger Pilot: "Scum, all of them traitors."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 12:48:14 am by Nakéen »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2024, 12:08:44 am »

the heck do you mean my balance is zero, I got paid past mission and the mech I built cost exactly 25000

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2024, 12:19:03 am »

the heck do you mean my balance is zero, I got paid past mission and the mech I built cost exactly 25000
Spoiler: MU Skew (click to show/hide)

And with the money I just 'earned', I'll... buy a WMB Medium core and slot it into this baby~

Ooh oops. I got super confused by that last time and I defaulted to slapping a good old 0 to your bank account. Will correct that.

edit: the post has been edited to account for the mistake. Turns out Wrecker accidentally used an expired card!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 12:21:27 am by Nakéen »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2024, 12:27:48 am »

"Must have emptied that one buying those missile pods. Oh well. So, you're a mercenary?" Wrecker swirls the tiny amount of liquid in her glass, watching the man curious if he'd be able to tell the value of it. Perhaps he's some dirt-poor mercenary stumbled into temporary money, after all.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2024, 10:23:43 am »

“Thanks”  Charles discreetly leaves, attempting to rustle up some info on a new contract. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2024, 10:26:50 am »

"Must have emptied that one buying those missile pods. Oh well. So, you're a mercenary?" Wrecker swirls the tiny amount of liquid in her glass, watching the man curious if he'd be able to tell the value of it. Perhaps he's some dirt-poor mercenary stumbled into temporary money, after all.
Zereth eyed the amber drop in his glass with some nostalgia. Marduk's Stargazer. Special Grade, even. To think that once he'd have as many bottles of this spirit as he'd like, just by casually asking for it.

"It feels like a waste to drink it like this - a mere hint of its refined flavors, but not enough to truly savor..." He remarked ruefully, nodding at the femme fatale's question, "... I suppose it's not something a mercenary like me has the right to properly enjoy. I've barely arrived at Begreris; callsign Sovereign."
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2024, 05:28:35 pm »

"Sovereign... An ironic name for a hyena. I guess I know your story now. Not so different from mine?"

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2024, 06:01:04 pm »

"It'd appear so. I suppose you're from the Order as well?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2024, 06:54:26 pm »

"I'm afraid so. Though my true calling is MU work and not that political nobility nonsense. Not that I mind the company of a fellow noble like yourself, it's certainly better than the alternative! Callsign Wrecker, by the way."

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2024, 08:18:08 pm »

Zereth nods, "It's good to talk with someone from home for once. I'll keep your callsign in mind if I get eyes on a good contract...  hm, that reminds me. We're not the only ones from the Order operating around Begreris - apparently there's a merc outfit of defectors calling themselves 'Roland's Bastards'."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 10:17:45 pm by Hawk132 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7