Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [EXTREME MODDERS ONLY] T I T A N F E S T - 2024  (Read 1289 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [EXTREME MODDERS ONLY] T I T A N F E S T - 2024
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2024, 05:25:34 pm »

Yes, I would like to do it.

Maybe it's kind of a secret since he pm'd it to you, so instead of posting it here, maybe pm me the creature description, color, prefstrings, and body layout? It might have other distinctive tissues too that aren't in the body layout like horns or claws or something. Also, the "CREATURE:" code name would help, so I can complete the graphics text files for it too. And knowing the name of the creature could also help in knowing what it's supposed to be and look like.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 05:40:07 pm by jecowa »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2024, 11:31:08 pm »

Yes, I would like to do it.

Maybe it's kind of a secret since he pm'd it to you, so instead of posting it here, maybe pm me the creature description, color, prefstrings, and body layout? It might have other distinctive tissues too that aren't in the body layout like horns or claws or something. Also, the "CREATURE:" code name would help, so I can complete the graphics text files for it too. And knowing the name of the creature could also help in knowing what it's supposed to be and look like.

Thanks Jecowa!

I went ahead and sent you the relevant details

xzaxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2024, 08:19:59 am »

Great! It's very non-standard. :D
Known issues
You may get a dwarf that likes bugged stockpiles.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2024, 03:07:01 pm »

I’m really excited for Titan Fest.

Are you still planning on doing a round robin with 9 people? I hope so. That’s 36 matches, which is kind of a lot of a single division, but not so large for an entire tournament.

Have you thought about seeding? You sound like you know a lot about tournaments what with talking about the swiss system, so you might already know this. Just like in a normal bracket, you ideally want the match between the best two contestants in the final round, and the match between the third and fourth best a contestant in the final round, etc. We don’t really have any seeding information, though, but I bet Eric Blank has something good, and you more-experienced modders probably have a good idea of who all is good. 

You say the tournament will run all week long. Is it going to be live-streamed on YouTube or Twitch or something? And could you post a link to your stream, if so?

Have you ever run a Swiss tournament before? It would have been cool if there were enough participants to try it out. Let me know if you want any help with brackets or round robin set up, but I’m guessing you’ve got it

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:54:08 am »

Have you ever run a Swiss tournament before? It would have been cool if there were enough participants to try it out. Let me know if you want any help with brackets or round robin set up, but I’m guessing you’ve got it
That's very much appreciated. With just 9 people though, I think I got it. And yes, I'm a little familiar. Thank you very much for the offer!

Ha, yeah, I know, the drama of spectacle and all that, the building of tension ratcheting all the way up to the finals.
Sadly, there's no real way to reserve the "best" matches for the final rounds in a round robin.

The most interesting matches may not be between the best "opponents", however. So that's something to keep in mind.

Streaming likely isn't conducive to everyone's schedules, so for now, the plan is just to hold the thing over the forums. 

The plan is, at present, to record everyone's matches, and then hosting them, I'll probably just use Youtube.
I'll also post a log and a general description of each match, the combat log, and images from each of the matches on the forums.
So this should probably satisfy things?

In terms of the schedule, the plan is to write up and record a single full round every day. This allows people to check in and see how their creature is doing. Since we'll be doing round robin, the event will go on for slightly longer than one week. I'll post the character bios, art, and a blurb on each monster at sometime on 10/6. And ideally, if I can, I'd like to be able to record and then host the matches for the first round of the tournament, do the write ups, and have those posted together by sometime in the late evening~ish of the same day. From there, we just keep chugging along till everyone's matches are completed. And it'll continue till its over!

Again, thanks to everyone who has submitted creatures thus far!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Today at 03:44:57 am »

Yeah, that sounds great. Edited YouTube videos will probably have better pacing than a live stream.

I love the posting monster info and match schedules. Very hype.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:48:04 am »

Ooh, just a suggestion for recording video, it might be a good idea to reduce your max fps to a low-ish setting, experiment first I guess before going into the matches. That way you can actually witness what's going on without having to go frame by frame.

You could also include the gamelog from each fight
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:53:20 pm »

Note that the Game FPS unfortunately also controls how quickly the game can load the the raws into the Object Testing Arena, so you might also increase it each time you go back to the main menu so you can load back into the game faster. It makes a huge difference. I had mine set to 1000 while I was pitting experiments against each other just to make it load more quickly.

But for matches, something that divides evenly into the 60 FPS of the video might be nice. Imo, anything from 5 to 30 would be fine. But might need an announcer for 5 or 10, which would be awesome. And the UI becomes really sluggish at 5, so might need to click for longer for them to register.

Oh, and you might also set your graphical FPS to 60 instead of the default of 50, if you haven't already, to match the video format.
Pages: 1 [2]