Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed Management  (Read 325 times)

Erik The Angry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Seed Management
« on: September 03, 2024, 03:18:36 pm »

Hi there, would be fantastic if we could have a farmer job which harvests seeds.  Produces just seeds and refuse.  Or if you're feeling ambitious, compost rather than refuse, as a form of fertilizer (which would of course have it's own production chain!)

The reason this came up is that I've got tightly controlled stills and booze production... usually 5-6 stills.  Each still has a dedicated stockpile for a plant and a fruit with logic-moderated workorders to produce alcohol from a plant and alcohol from a fruit when said alcohol level drops below a set number of drinks, which in turn take from feeder stockpiles.  Frequently though, with so much booze to choose from (10-12 different kinds) I'm simply not consuming it fast enough and the still just doesn't produce enough seeds to maintain crop rotations.

Being able to set up a farmer workflow that triggers above a certain number of plants would allow my farm plots to continue pumping out fresh plants and retain viable amounts of seeds, even when I'm not actually using it for anything.

NappyTheTired

• Bay Watcher
  • Why hello there
    • View Profile
    • Hawks Gaming Club
Re: Seed Management
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2024, 01:54:14 pm »

Hi there, would be fantastic if we could have a farmer job which harvests seeds.  Produces just seeds and refuse.  Or if you're feeling ambitious, compost rather than refuse, as a form of fertilizer (which would of course have it's own production chain!)

The reason this came up is that I've got tightly controlled stills and booze production... usually 5-6 stills.  Each still has a dedicated stockpile for a plant and a fruit with logic-moderated workorders to produce alcohol from a plant and alcohol from a fruit when said alcohol level drops below a set number of drinks, which in turn take from feeder stockpiles.  Frequently though, with so much booze to choose from (10-12 different kinds) I'm simply not consuming it fast enough and the still just doesn't produce enough seeds to maintain crop rotations.

Being able to set up a farmer workflow that triggers above a certain number of plants would allow my farm plots to continue pumping out fresh plants and retain viable amounts of seeds, even when I'm not actually using it for anything.

Dosent sound like a bad idea, could cause some extra complication, though. Maybe the game can have seeds degrade over a period of time unless they are used or stored in particular types of barrels (I havent played the fort mode in a bit so im unsure if this exists or not). Anything to delay the FPS death, by all means...

Erik The Angry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2024, 04:00:48 pm »

Of course a different alternative would be to add workflows to farm plots.  Only planting crops when booze (or plant materials, if you're talking about something like pig tail) drop below a certain level.

By adding the Farmer job, you'd basically have a predictable cycle of plants grown on the regular - even if only being grown to have the seeds harvested.  By adding farm plot workflows, you'd be able to control when they get planted.

Ultimately what ends up causing problems for me is that the crops get planted, but there isn't space to stockpile the plants so they expire on the farm plot, leading to wasted seeds.   More than one way to handle that problem without micromanagement.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 12:22:12 am »

Can you tell the manager to brew more dwarven wine when you are low on plump helmet spawn?

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2024, 06:50:37 pm »

Can you tell the manager to brew more dwarven wine when you are low on plump helmet spawn?

Unfortunately you cannot specify which plant you want brewed.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2024, 07:27:45 pm »

What if you use custom stockpiles and links?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2024, 08:18:56 pm »

What if you use custom stockpiles and links?

That’s a (potentially annoying) way to do it. Still should be a feature though.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.