Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Alignment - N0  (Read 1929 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Alignment (7/7)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2024, 04:55:00 pm »

Thanks!

In case anyone was worried, the setup has been checked over by NQT. Any balance is largely due to him.

Sending sheets now.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Alignment - D0
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2024, 06:53:23 pm »

DAY ZERO

It starts - where else? In a saloon. Flies buzz round empty bottles and the doors swing slowly to and fro.

Seven strangers come to town by seven roads. Seven grimy rooms are booked with seven handfuls of cash. And seven pairs of wary eyes meet over the dusty tables, waiting for someone to make the first move.

The played that receives the most votes at the end of D0 will not be eliminated, but will be removed from the game for the duration of the first night. They may take no actions and any actions targeting them will fail.

Vote Count

Imp:
MaximumSpin:
FallacyofUrist:
CrystallizedMire:
TricMagic:
VermillionSkies:
Juicebox:
No Elimination:
Yes:

Not Voting: Imp, MaximumSpin, FallacyofUrist, CrystallizedMire, TricMagic, VermillionSkies, juicebox

Day 0 will end in approximately 78 hours, at 9:00am GMT Saturday 21/09/2024

Spoiler: a note on Tags (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2024, 07:04:49 pm »

Alright!
For my go at a starter question: Does anyone have alignment mechanics that they think would be beneficial to share? Change the way we look at the gamestate, maybe?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2024, 07:07:17 pm »

WELCOME ONE WELCOME ALL TO THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!
DO YOU FEEL YOUR SINS CRAWLING DOWN YOUR BACK? DO YOU FEEL CHILLS ON THE ATTACK? Come on down, give us a show. When we meet, YOU'LL KNOW!

VERMILLIONSKIES YOU'RE THE FIRST CONTESTANT ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT! DO YOU WANT A ONE WAY TRIP TO THE COMMUTER ZONE?

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2024, 07:14:18 pm »

I mean, I would really rather not be commuted, no.
I have to visit everyone before they leave the game, whether they're alive or dead, so missing a night would be a little distressing.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2024, 07:33:49 pm »

Alright!
For my go at a starter question: Does anyone have alignment mechanics that they think would be beneficial to share? Change the way we look at the gamestate, maybe?

Yeah.  I'll chat later about that, I'd prefer to listen some first.  Except, I am curious if anyone refills one-shot abilities, should anyone wanna discuss that.

WELCOME ONE WELCOME ALL TO THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!
DO YOU FEEL YOUR SINS CRAWLING DOWN YOUR BACK? DO YOU FEEL CHILLS ON THE ATTACK? Come on down, give us a show. When we meet, YOU'LL KNOW!

VERMILLIONSKIES YOU'RE THE FIRST CONTESTANT ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT! DO YOU WANT A ONE WAY TRIP TO THE COMMUTER ZONE?

Omg, the loves serial killing roles is typin' in all caps.  Bored we will surely never be.

One-way trip, huh?

Tric, you selling 'death during commutation' by any chance?

Precious Fal, did you actually submit town for your alignment this game?

I really got my listenin' ears on this game.  Like most BYOR games I get to be in, I'm a sort of empowering assistant of a type, twisted as pleases the mod and balances the rest of the game.

wanders to the side of the salon and inspects some of the varicolored bottles that decorate the place
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2024, 07:48:40 pm »

Well, I'm a little underpowered but it serves me right for submitting something stupid on a whim. Well, I mean underpowered from the perspective of solving an actual mafia game. I could win right now with a little cooperation. But I feel like that would rob me of the fun of figuring stuff out, too.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2024, 07:51:27 pm »

Precious Fal, did you actually submit town for your alignment this game?

Lol, no. That would have been funny, though.

I find this game format fairly interesting - it's less an informed-minority-uninformed-majority game, and more a game where each of us have our own objectives.

The people you should want to vote out are those players with win conditions that conflict with yours, and you should want to avoid voting players that have win conditions that don't conflict with yours - or that support yours.

It's rather confuzzling, really.

In theory, it could lead to a situation where we all win, but I doubt (70%) that NJW would have designed a setup that allows that.

It'd be a less interesting game.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2024, 08:19:55 pm »

I have role info that there is a cult in the game. The cult members could act twice per night and could also convert others. I can offer protection to others but I can only pick one person per day.
she/her

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2024, 08:22:11 pm »

I mean, I would really rather not be commuted, no.
I have to visit everyone before they leave the game, whether they're alive or dead, so missing a night would be a little distressing.
Inside of me I see~ Oh what's that? Mirror Me? Let's say we cut a deal?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2024, 09:00:44 pm »

In theory, it could lead to a situation where we all win, but I doubt (70%) that NJW would have designed a setup that allows that.

It'd be a less interesting game.

... I'd be interested.  It could require a very complex balancing of how things were done, presuming there are multiple paths that entwine win conditions.

However, there's the real chance that someone needs someone dead.  We may have some real conflicts, and there's the more nasty chance that someone needs someone to lose (we can potentially un-dead someone; we see that the dead remain in the game until formal win or loss).

Thing is, to win 'together', where possible, might require pretty exact knowledge of what the others' wincon(s)/losscon(s) are, to find a path that doesn't conflict.

looks around the salon

Yeah, I don't think most of us are gonna agree to that.

I have role info that there is a cult in the game. The cult members could act twice per night and could also convert others. I can offer protection to others but I can only pick one person per day.

I have role info about a mechanic in the game that could allow someone to act twice per night and allow that person to modify tags on other players, however the tags are not specifically named as alignments and are not similar to any alignment info I have.

Crystalizedmire, want to check if you actually know about a 'cult' as in 'no more your alignment, now you serve this other alignment' versus something that modifies and enhances in other ways, including 'adding or changing certain tags' but does not actually change alignment?  If what I have info on is also an alignment modification, that's really interesting to know, and I'd like to find out if we can.

The people you should want to vote out are those players with win conditions that conflict with yours, and you should want to avoid voting players that have win conditions that don't conflict with yours - or that support yours.

This makes sense to me, however we should remain aware that some of us may have 'fairly standard' wincons; like someone could potentially have a wincon to be the only one still alive, or even a wincon that 'nobody else can win'.  If we have such a wincon, sure would be great to have a cult that can win with others, and help convert that inflexible one so we could all win together, unless we prefer the murder-way.  respectful nod to TricMagic

I'm fine with my wincon; I do not convert alignments and I do not prefer or object to being converted should we have a cult.  I am a type of third party that works with others to win, and there's very few others I couldn't work with to win; I can definitely win while dead though I can be useful and helpful alive and would enjoy helping others gain their wincons (where possible) as well as my own.

Group win sure isn't offensive to my preferences, and I bet it won't be easy or simple to achieve even if we try for it.

Well, I'm a little underpowered but it serves me right for submitting something stupid on a whim. Well, I mean underpowered from the perspective of solving an actual mafia game. I could win right now with a little cooperation. But I feel like that would rob me of the fun of figuring stuff out, too.

For instance, I could probably cooperate, and/or help figure stuff out, and/or increase power levels of this or other players in one or more ways.

goes back to listening ears

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2024, 09:03:07 pm »

EBWOP:  Where I said 'tags', I should have said 'status'

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2024, 09:15:11 pm »

I have role info about a mechanic in the game that could allow someone to act twice per night and allow that person to modify tags on other players, however the tags are not specifically named as alignments and are not similar to any alignment info I have.

Crystalizedmire, want to check if you actually know about a 'cult' as in 'no more your alignment, now you serve this other alignment' versus something that modifies and enhances in other ways, including 'adding or changing certain tags' but does not actually change alignment?  If what I have info on is also an alignment modification, that's really interesting to know, and I'd like to find out if we can.
Yes I'm sure it is a cult and I one that I explicitly cannot win with.
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2024, 09:23:41 pm »

Yes I'm sure it is a cult and I one that I explicitly cannot win with.

Great to know.

Do you know if this cult is already 'definitely in play' at start of game or if it is something that only could come to exist?

Like, if the cult had no members yet, and might never start - do your mechanics rule that out, or is that possible?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2024, 09:28:54 pm »

Imp, I intend to give you a small gift at the end of day, if you'll say yes to it. It's not really the most powerful thing ever but it could help you to help me, and is as far as I know harmless to both of us and anyone else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10