Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What exactly will be the myth and magic update?  (Read 566 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What exactly will be the myth and magic update?
« on: August 27, 2024, 12:06:40 pm »

I’ve read a lot about the fabled upcoming “myth and magic” update but I feel like I don’t fully understand what will be implemented in it. Can someone more knowledgeable than I please explain?
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly will be the myth and magic update?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 04:30:09 am »

Noone knows for sure. There are goning to be multiple updates with different stuff in each of them. Some magic systems, spells, magical creatures, gods, monsters, dimentions, planes, magical cataclysms all kinds of stuff. Everything more or less popular in magic sense.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 09:28:17 am »

Here's a (old) video from GDC 2016 where Toady explains myth and magic stuff (showing a prototype):

GDC 2016 Practices in Procedural Generation

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 10:06:33 am »

The demigod improvements coming to Premium adventure mode will be the first part of it, which...hopefully aren't too far away at this point.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 01:49:23 pm »

Interesting. Thank you for your replies and explanations.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.