Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shouldn't Dragons be older than our calendar?  (Read 660 times)

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
Shouldn't Dragons be older than our calendar?
« on: August 13, 2024, 10:38:23 pm »

I think it's generally understood that "time" in DF doesn't begin at year 0, because there are living entities "from a time before time."

And so it's odd how all dragons in the game, above and below ground, are no older than the current year.

There should be some, at least, who are randomly some centuries older than that. Having to generate a 1,000 year old world to see a full grown dragon is a heavy task on most PC's I think.

On that note, it would be cool I think if some Forgotten Beast spawns could instead generate an ancient (1,000+ yr old) Dragon. Or perhaps some value between 500-1000 years.

I send this prayer to devs on high and potentially any modding angels out there who could one day see this dream come true. Thank you.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shouldn't Dragons be older than our calendar?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2024, 11:51:26 pm »

They can be older than the current year, if they were created at world creation and not born during worldgen. Immortal creatures are generated with an age between 200 and 300.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 06:37:28 am »

ASpatula is right, world creation is called “a time before time” during worldgen and is not considered the actual beginning of the world for canonical reasons. That said, I’d also like for immortal creatures to have a bigger possible age range when being created this way.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 07:43:57 pm »

This could be addressed during the myth and magic update, since myth generation will be a fleshed out version of the current "the time before time". Or it could be not addressed, since you probably know how Toady is with publishing unfinished bits in this very complex project. So it's good that you've posted a suggestion as a reminder!

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 11:10:21 am »

Ah okay, so it seems perhaps there can be some ancient dragons? The wiki implies there cannot be. I have seen Forgotten Beasts and such older than the calendar.

This could be addressed during the myth and magic update, since myth generation will be a fleshed out version of the current "the time before time". Or it could be not addressed, since you probably know how Toady is with publishing unfinished bits in this very complex project. So it's good that you've posted a suggestion as a reminder!

Hey thanks! ^_^

It really is a wonderous project. There are sometimes criticisms I want to point out, but I think it's important to note that Dwarf Fortress is not a conventional "game" in the sense that it should necessarily adhere to guidelines. It's more of a grand passion project that we're lucky to be along for the ride.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 01:05:53 am »

You will find dragons born around 200-300 years before year 0.

If you want 1000 year old, max size dragons, best bet is a max titan pop world (1k titans in custom settings) and low civs, so the beasts have less of a chance to die.

Then generate for 800 years, and you might find something interesting...

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2024, 11:18:35 pm »

It sounds terrifying :')