Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Full Metal Dress: Shocking Developments!  (Read 3074 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Full Metal Dress
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2024, 03:11:45 pm »

((Just waiting for Lenglon to finish up now, and then I'll have to do some choosing, since I don't really think that I can manage eight players.

I had the silly idea to fit in extra players as funny little magical animal familiars, but I'm not sure if that's desirable or even going to reduce the workload compared to those being full players.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2024, 03:34:35 am »

Done, thank you greatly for your patience, and sorry for the delay.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2024, 06:46:05 pm »

We'll be starting with these characters. Crystalizedmire and BlackPaladin go on the waitlist.

Spoiler: Anna-Leigh - Draignean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Seven - VermilionSkies (click to show/hide)

These are just the latter parts of the character sheets, which I'll be updating and reposting with each turn. The more static parts of the sheet I put in the OP, so that can serve as a reference without being cluttery if I just want to update health or mana. I hope!
I'll see about getting us started and handing out a few starting powers tomorrow.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2024, 05:54:52 pm »

((Good news, I've written one blatantly busted power to be given out as an innate. Writing actual intros might end up waiting for a day I have more energy, but I can always have a bit of fun.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2024, 04:31:42 am »

((One player's turn is written, five to go!))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Full Metal Dress: Awake
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2024, 06:26:10 pm »

On a hill in the jungle sits a house. The hill is jagged and sharp, gray boulders jut out of it, but the jungle grew over it just fine. Maybe a million years ago some passing glacier deposited a neat pile of stones here and then the vines grew over, and then the mosses and grasses, and then small bushes and finally trees made the difficult migration to the top. And then some humans migrated up to the top and built a huge house there, artfully designed to fit into its beautiful environment without any disturbance to nature in the sort of way you can only really do if you spend a lot of money doing it. The jungle would climb over and colonize the house too, if not for the tireless work of a skilled team of gardeners.

At the base of this hill there's a small and ugly village. A dirt clearing dotted with a handful of fast-made brick structures with aluminum roofs recycled from the hulls of Kyranan "IFVs" which were never well enough armored for real combat. The villagers, of course, are here because of the rich-man's house. They weren't chasing an economic opportunity: they're here because it's safer. The man who owns that house has connections. If a battle or skirmish were to break out, he'd do his best to ensure they won't happen here. So the villagers stay close enough to borrow that protective bubble, but far enough away to avoid being shot at by security guards. After all, these people aren't subjects of a lord who guarantees their safety, but just the locals who have found the safest place to live their lives.

Even that is far from a guarantee of safety, but it's worlds better than life in the cities, where many of these people are from. There's still some friction between them and the folks who'd lived near the jungle all along. Even with that and a few ethnic and cultural differences, the villagers do their best to work together; why fight when there's already a war? The city-transplants do their best and aren't actually lazy, just a little shell-shocked.

Francesca awakes with no real urgency, that blue orb still burned into her eyes. Eventually she sits up from her bed and walks to the window, a gorgeous view of the jungle and the river winding through it, and the distant sight of the church's tower in the next town over. She listens to the din of birds and frogs and wonders, feeling foolish yet brave and scientific, whether her dream was real. Does she have magical powers now? Is the planet being invaded by evil horrors from beyond the stars?
To tell the truth, the world outside looks much the same.

And then a floating robot taps on her shoulder.
She turns around, confused by the metallic feeling but expecting a maid to be bothering her, only to be surprised by the bright pyre of crackling blue light before her. She blinks a few times and the "illusion" passes, leaving her staring at a floating gray machine shaped somewhat like a rubbish bin with several arms hanging out the bottom and one big, circular, blue eye. It certainly reminds her of the being in her dream...

Its voice crackles in her ears, a smooth and refined voice distorted by static. "Greetings, Lady Richter. I am designated Spice Falls On Ring Shadow. We're very sorry to call on you so soon, but time is of the essence. One of your compatriots is in grave, grave danger."

She eyes her backpack left hanging on the door to her room. Mostly filled with schooling supplies, but there's food and water in case she needs to leave the house. As well as a Mk.9 Target Pistol and magazine, just... in case. Francesca is pretty sure she knows how it works, not that she's taken many opportunities to practice, with so many other, more interesting things to do!
The bigger issue might be getting permission to leave. She's definitely supposed to bring a guard with her if she goes to the town, and... how are you supposed to explain floating space robots?

A drop of water falls on Icatrina's head, waking her up. It's a little late in the morning, but she probably needed the extra rest. Well, the roof has been leaking from what was once a firing port and waking her up recently... She's still glad to have a roof at all, though. Her dream is still bright in her mind, but it is just a dream.
The house is empty, leaving Icatrina alone. Violet probably isn't far away, though.

Nothing to do here, she wanders outside to find her friend. The ground is sticky with mud from the night's rain, and the air smells like smoke, but the only noises are screaming parakeets and haggling adults, no airplanes or guns. The lack of fighting is almost its own sound, a beautiful, relieving melody. Violet is just outside of the shack they call home, wielding an axe next to a stump and a pile of firewood. A small portion of it has been split, as Violet seems to struggle with her wounded leg. Regardless her expression brightens when she sees Icatrina.
"Ika! How are you? You're not starting to get sick, are you?"

Anna-Leigh is working with her mother, slowly weaving together a rug, loop after loop. It's a normal, mundane activity for her, but with each loop it becomes clearer and clearer that she isn't seeing the world in quite the way she used to. Or else the world itself has changed in nature, but it still seems... familiar. Like the pattern underlying reality was already there, she just needed to reach out and touch it. Not everything is clear, yet: her vision remains as blurry as ever, and the grander weave of the universe seems just out of view. But only just. If she could just...

There's something she can do here. A little thread, left loose inside of... herself. She's not sure what she would learn, or what it would cost, but the option is there. Use this power?

A small road weaves through the woods from the village and the mansion to a larger town. This place has been touched by war... slightly. Occasionally. Technically, it's occupied by the rebels, but the place is unimportant tactically, too large to be rolled over trivially and too small to be worth much by itself. Mysteriously, God saw fit to carve a river in just the right place knowing that there would one day be a town built around it, and later the builders of the town would somehow know to build the town on the future site of a railroad. People here are more reserved and closed off to one another, trying to manage and continue their jobs and commerce as though nothing's wrong, even as supplies get rarer and more expensive. Some folks even still trade with Great Leader's coins, though most sales these days involve preserved, imperishable food and the more valuable foreign currencies.
The youths of this town are quite competitive and combative, getting into daily street fights that the occupying rebels and other adults don't bother to break up. On occasion a bandit or mercenary group will appear to hire one of the older kids, and even more occasionally the kid will come back home with war stories, perhaps wiser but no less boastful.

Somehow, even though the day has hardly even started, Kora has already gotten into a fight. A red-haired boy around her age decided to pick a fight over heritage, jumping her in a back alley, which she totally wasn't just walking through to look for a fight. The scrawny boy would be trivial for her to beat, if not for the fact that the miserable cheating rat is holding a tire iron.

Kora really doesn't want to get beat up right now, and... something's different. She's more powerful, isn't she?

Another day, like any other. Diane finds herself in... a fine bedroom, but still pretty unfamiliar. She appreciates that there's a window, at least. A lot, actually. Her folks have been kind, giving her a room of her own and making sure that she has enough to eat, but they haven't really put any direction into her life.

What will she do today? Diane feels like creating something.

Far down the river, at least a couple hours from the town, an ominous and gray structure stands, surrounded by a tall gray wall topped with barbed wire. Which has been blown up in several places by cannon shells and rolled over in others by tanks. The prison was designed to keep prisoners in, not invaders out. Even guarded by a handful of the Great Leader's elusive special operatives, the place promptly fell to the advance of the rebels. The soldiers swept in and freed prisoners and executed the employees, and now victorious they're camped outside, guarded by their vehicles and artillery.

And then a series of earth-shaking explosions rung out and those vehicles disappeared.

Seven isn't really sure if she was sleeping before, but she's certainly awake now. She quickly stands up inside of an unfamiliar tent and as her ears slowly stop ringing, she makes out the sound of gunfire and a helicopter. An angry voice screams over loudspeaker from above.
"TERRRRORISTS! SURRENDER NOW AND MAYBE WE WON'T RIP YOU APART, YOU FILTHY PRIMATIVES! HEAY KUF!" Followed by unconscionable racket which must come from an autocannon.

This is obviously a bad situation.

((Check spoilers for powers!
This took me about 6 days, so it's only fair that I give you 6 days to submit actions for this turn. Please send something before August 28, and I'll hopefully update then too! This was slow, but it should be easier to update fast with the following turns.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2024, 06:47:08 pm »

Kora adopts a shiteating grin, applies a Shield, and lets the rat hit her once with the tire iron. When that doesn't work, she knocks it out of his hands and takes her time beating the little vermin. Not so clever now, are ya?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2024, 07:15:03 pm »

Where... am I?
Ah. The camp. I remember now.
That voice, it reminds me of my mother.
I wish it'd be quiet.

Seven rises from her cot, the rustling of cloth quickly replaced by the clinking of chains. She hurries her way to the tent's entrance, laying her eyes upon the sight beyond.
...That's no good. I should do something, shouldn't I?

She raises an open palm from her side upwards towards the floating machine.
This is how they showed me, I believe. This... is how Seven can help.
She closes her fist, as if grasping it tightly - "Obligation."

// Enter magical form, and chain that helicopter to the ground! Seven can figure out what's happening after she isn't at risk of being pierced by a stray bullet. //
((Binding of Obligation? I suppose you might call that the Chains of Others))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 12:30:58 am by VermilionSkies »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2024, 08:33:28 pm »

Mmm.  I feel like.. doing something today.

Diane looks around the comfortable bedroom, with its bed, toys, books, furniture..  but that's not her, it's all her family's stuff.  Nice stuff, but not really hers.

When I was in the basement, I didn't have all this stuff.  I just had whatever I could get together.  Dust, mostly.

Diane gets together the dust on her windowsill, and pushes it together into things.  A fort, manned by evil monsters and stormed by good knights, with the leader wielding a flaming sword.

As this continues, she introduces more modern elements like extremely tiny vehicles, tanks, artillery, all tiny enough to fight it out on a windowsill.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 12:44:22 am by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2024, 12:21:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Hm? No! No I'm fine! Was just a bit overtired I think!"
Icatrina hurried over, watching the axe carefully to avoid accidents, and hugs Violet.
"Sorry for sleeping in. Um, what chores are left? Want me to finish the firewood?"
If Violet lets her, then Icatrina takes the axe to finish the job of chopping the firewood.
"Soooo, anything interesting happen this morning?"

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2024, 05:51:48 am »

Pull.

Anna-Leigh knew things were not quite right inside her. She wasn't bitter, she wasn't angry, she was just....

Maybe she was a little bitter. When she tugged on that spare thread, the filament she could not see but only feel, she pulled with all she had.

"I know things are wrong. Let me help." Was her faintly whispered prayer.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2024, 05:56:22 am »

Francesca stretches her arms above her head, staring at the robot curiously.  "Spice falls on... ring shadow?  Spice... S-F-O-R-S?  Sfors?  Srofs?"

She smiles, nodding as she unhurriedly walks to her backpack.  She mumbles as she looks through its contents, ensuring she has everything she might need.  "That's almost a palindrome, hehe.  It's a strange name.  I think I would have chosen Frost Shadow.  Sfofs?  No, no, Spice Rains.  Reigns?  No, Rains.  Srors.  Can I call you that, Sfors?"

She zips the backpack shut, then slips it onto her shoulders.  Then turns to face the robot again, not waiting for an answer to her question.  "Where do I need to go?  I'll be bringing one of my guards with me, I hope that's no problem."

Ask the robot for directions (I assume it won't just lead Francesca there).  Obtaining permission shouldn't be too hard; Francesca will insist that she needs to go on a walk to clear her head.  Though, she'll try to get one of the less controlling bodyguards, one that doesn't know how to deal effectively with her and thus is prone to getting dragged around.

If the robot hangs around, and is visible to other people, just say that it seems respectful enough, and can simply be shot down if it causes trouble.  Don't mention that it's telling Francesca to go somewhere.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2024, 01:36:17 pm »

((Alright, didn't take you 6 days to submit actions, good. I'm still taking today off, though. :p))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2024, 07:26:28 pm »

Not entirely sure what she's doing, but confident that it'll work regardless, Kora looses some strands of mana from her fingers, letting them spread out into a complex crystalline structure. The air between her and the rat shimmers with light, forming a circle of runes or writing in some strange language.
[-1 Mana]
The kid seems bemused by all this, but lunges forward. Where his weapon intersects the light, there's a loud shattering sound, but his momentum suddenly just halts.
[Unarmed 3d6: 11, Strength +1, counter +1 = 13]
As the kid is stumbling, split between trying to salvage the strike or regain his footing, Kora quickly slaps the tire iron out of his hand and follows up with a blow to his sternum, sending him stumbling backwards. He's not knocked down yet and has a chance to do something before Kora continues beating the crap out of him, and he decides to use that chance to cower.
"H-hey! I'm sorry. Didn't mean it, honest!"

With the windowsill as a stage, Diane rounds up the actors, sweeping up the rather copious dust into one big pile.
[Creation 3d6: 10, Virtuous +1, dust isn't a good material -1 = 10]
With gentle precision, she tries to mold the dust into a castle shape. In the end she gets a pile with a dimple in the middle, as the dust wants to fall down more than stick together. She would have to resort to drawing shapes in the dust with her finger, but that's not nearly as fun.

Well...
[-0 Mana]
She blasts the dust with some mana, willing it to form up into a tiny little tank. A tiny orb of light seems to leap from her fingertips onto the windowsill and assemble itself into a pair of tiny treads, body, and cannon. Some dust is briefly swept up into the tiny machine, but then falls and settles back out. The miniature tank is solid and glowing white and doesn't seem to have needed any material component at all. It does seem to occasionally flicker or distort, though.

"The cluster of structures below, there's one which does not fit the set. It should be easy to tell, for you. Do what you must, but responsibility for the organic's security falls to you."
The machine then simply disappears while Francesca's back is turned. Hrm.

[Luck 1d6: 6]
Luckily, Francesca manages to corner a lone guard who she can drag along. The guard happens to be a bloodthirsty young adult with fluffy pointy ears, which might make her hard to manage, though.
[Persuasion 3d6: 9, Gullible +1, Adventurous +1 = 11]
[Gained Follower] ((see spoiler))

The guard, who identifies herself as "shadesoul", seems excited at the prospect of going outside and leads the way all the way to the village. At first Francesca is puzzled as to where to go from here, but then catches sight of one building which is indeed not like the others; a small bistro with large glass windows and several neon signs which would seem more at home on the side of a highway.

Violet returns the hug with her free arm, holding on tight. When it ends, she looks down to the axe she's leaning on.
"Well, if you want to take it off my hands, I don't mind."

Violet allows Icatrina to take the axe and finish the task while she rests. She does take a small stone from her pocket and show it to Icatrina. It's dark gray and porous.
"I found this, this morning. It doesn't look that interesting, but I looked it up, and this kind of stone contains a small amount of I-Alpha674, the, uhh, stuff they make The Bomb out of. Not enough to be dangerous, though."

Before Icatrina can respond, she sees a certain cylindrical robot hovering a ways behind Violet's head. It waves, directly at Icatrina, apparently trying to get her attention.
"Greetings! I'm sorry to bother you, but I need your help. Quickly, please! I am- call me Spice." The thing's voice buzzes in Icatrina's head loudly despite the distance, but Violet doesn't seem to respond to it.

She pulls the thread. Anna-Leigh feels something leave her soul, only to return as a shower of sparks. She is... a little more tired, now, but...
[-2 Mana]
There's a certain feeling, it's unlike anything else. Maybe like touch, a bit like feeling. It's certainly not seeing, but her surroundings become clear. The quilting under her fingers can be sensed, the room around her, behind her, more simply and easily than anything else, like the world has simply become a part of her, as simple to tell as the position of her own arms and legs without looking.

And beyond, further out...
Something like bright lights, like a vibration of a fly on a spider web, loud yet small and far away, seven distant stars, five weak and two very strong. And... and even further, constellations at unfathomable distances, an uncountable number of bright, magical points in every direction, far above and far below. Each, somehow, an individual, unique, similar and yet truly unlike any other.

But closer, very close, the brightest of the seven is very near, as is the second brightest and two of the weaker. Close enough to go and find.

As Seven exits the tent, she feels strong. Not physically strong, but strong in an even more important way. Her body is changing, adapting to better wield her true power. Freed from the considerations of a normal being, she forges new connections, conduits, antennae cultivating magical energies. She is MADE for this.
[-1 Mana, gained Magical Form]

The world outside of the tent is chaotic, desperate cries and gunfire and loosed grenades. She finds it hard to care. The killer machine hovers over it all, like an ugly wasp. Like a harbinger of war. This is her enemy.
[Bind 3d6: 7, Magical Form +1, Large Target -1, Distance from ground -1 = 6]
[-2 Mana]

From the asphalt forming the camp's floor, the chains erupt. They reach out to the skies, reach out to grasp and hold the machine down, bring it back to earth and order. But it's too far, even as they stretch to the extent of their strength. They are... frustrated, unable to fulfill the purpose they were given. Seven's control starts to slip and then-
Furious, the chains come into their own control, lashing out at whatever's closest!
[Luck 1d6: 3]
[Roll to Dodge 3d6: 6]
The chains strike out at a few rebel soldiers, but more than enough remain to attack their creator. Seven tries to back up and dodge the furious Summon, but there are too many and they envelop her. It's becoming hard to move...

[Aggro: 5]
The battle rages around Seven, with neither the attackers nor defenders paying her or the magical chains much attention. Hopefully that remains the case. The attacking force seems to consist of both the helicopter and a ground force wearing green.

((I wasn't able to write this in a single day like I hoped, but progress is infinitely better than no progress. I'll write more on the 28th!))

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2024, 12:16:03 am »

...Bastards.
Seven glares at the chains wrapping around her limbs.
"I expected better of you. You fail to fulfill your duties, and then come back to assault me for it?"
Seven struggles to stand under the encroaching numbness in her limbs, refusing to be interrupted.
"People are dying. Please, fulfill the promise you made."

// Get those chains under control, and back on target! It'd be easier to stop paying their upkeep and dismiss them, but I don't think it's a good idea to have summons with a grudge against you. Better to work things out ahead of time. //
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4