Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xvareon plays C:DDA - Survival horror zombie apocalypse roguelike RPG (Take two)  (Read 1529 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile

Zones are one of the new features I know nothing about as they were added way after I started playing, how would you even start trying to figure them out as I don't know which key gets into the menu for them.
(All quoted letters are case sensitive.) You can press "Y" to activate the zone menu, and "a" to add a new zone. "Loot: Unsorted" defines the area in which a loot command looks for items. The simplest way is to do that plus a "Loot: Custom" zone with no filter. When I do "O" for zone actions and then loot, my character takes everything inside the Loot: Unsorted area and sticks it in the tile(s) marked for the Custom one. I can, of course, sort the items by category or specific type. Since you can bind a single-tile loot zone to a vehicle cargo part, you can then just draw Loot: Unsorted around a whole floor, then loot the entire thing in a couple keypresses!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for the info, I'll keep that in mind next time I play as that sounds like it'll make looting things like the scrap from wrecked cars and the like way easier.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm enjoying your diary.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is why I enjoy your journal so much - I can forget about all that bs and just enjoy the resulting story.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm enjoying your diary.

This is why I enjoy your journal so much - I can forget about all that bs and just enjoy the resulting story.
Thank you! That made my day. ^_^  You're absolutely right about the game kinda dragging on, though. That's why I feel it's important to mix it up, try new characters, different strategies, etc.  I think "peak Cataclysm" is a semi-nomadic existence out of an RV, taking a vehicle around the map looting and pillaging, upgrading it with spare parts, acquiring new followers and repeating the process. Oh, yeah; having NPCs around is really good, 'cause you can have them automate a lot of your menial tasks like cooking and crafting. In the latest experimental, I hear they can even craft without needing zone commands, but I'm not playing on that one. If I die on this run, I may switch to it, but we'll see!
-----
I awaken to a big fat freaking problem. My character's caught the flu. Also known as "the Influenza." ...Eeyup. Diseases are a thing in this game. The cold, a flu, stomach bugs, that sort of thing. You can typically avoid these by wearing something to cover your mouth, as diseases work by having the game "attack" your mouth coverage/protection rating, and if it passes, you get sick like me. This is bad, but I'll first show you the sheet.
Spoiler: Flu (click to show/hide)
I take a massive -4 hit to my Strength, which, thanks to Stats through Skills/Kills is at 11 so I just end up with 7, but that's really bad. It reduces all my stats, and that's not all. Influenza makes my character have coughing fits, and coughing during sleep wakes me up, so it's hard to get any actual rest that eliminates the "Tired" status. I also throw up intermittently, which makes it hard to stay hydrated and fed—especially bad for a high metabolism character, though I guess I can metabolize food a little faster before I void it. The "tired" thing is the worst part of this. If I don't get proper rest, I'll become exhausted, and that's irrespective of my physical fatigue level, which measures my in-the-moment muscle exertion and breath. Lack of sleep has knock-on effects every-freaking-where. So, I need to deal with this problem ASAP.

How do you deal with the flu? Cough syrup. This suppresses the coughing fits and mitigates a lot of the stat penalties. It exists in drowsy and non-drowsy variants; the first applies several stacks of "Depressants" on you, slowing your reaction time and making you sleepy. But either will do right now. I just need to do some raiding for it. I actually did found a bottle of it from a previous raid, but it only had 2 doses, and I've already gone through those. This flu is hanging on longer than I thought. So it's time to head north, to that big town I got to the edge of before. I'm bringing my cart w/ travois, a new military rucksack I scavenged off a zombie and washed to replace my backpack, my trusty knife spear, and a waterskin to stay hydrated.
This isn't going to be like before. I'm raiding during broad daylight. I can't afford to wait and risk exhaustion. But with my strength at 7, it should be enough, since I'll be stabbing at reach anyway.

Everything goes fine at first. I roll up the road, finding 5 zombie corpses lying next to a giant praying mantis; nasty bastards, those, since their chitin is enough to stop basic zombie hits for the most part. You have to be pretty dang tanky for that.
I killed a few on my way in, sticking primarily to wrecked vehicles for cover; those are amazing with a spear, 'cause wreckage takes 4x as long to move through as normal ground.
I run into Zapper zombies again—but also Soldier zombies. The first won't be an issue, because while the head of my spear is metal, the wood shaft it's bolted to is not! (\^_^/)  The soldier, though... those are always gonna be tough. Irrespective of the loot a soldier zombie actually carries, the game always treats them as though they've got full body armor. Bullets aren't likely to work vs. ESAPI ballistic vests and the advanced tactical helmet. Even my spear with 26 pierce damage tends to average out at 5 vs. them. It's always worth it to kill them if you can, though, because they drop quality loot like combat knives, entrenching tools, military packs/vests/pouches, and more.
Even when maximizing my advantages, activating Run to skirmish on flat ground and get to wrecks/shrubs/windows, it's not easy. Enemies are EVERYWHERE in towns, and it's not just zombies; Feral Humans are also around, and they're especially dangerous. Ferals are smart enough to open doors, path around obstacles, and some will throw weapons at you. Ferals are still actually human and have not turned full zed, but they're close enough that zombies won't aggro on them. They also use melee weapons, and some are fricking nasty, like the Deranged Axeman, who wields a wood axe that can send you from full health to bleeding out and need a freaking tourniquet in one hit.
Oh, and while I was looking for cough syrup, I found a Survivor House. These are really just marked "house" like any other, but you can see they're obviously boarded up, with heavy furniture positioned to block some entrances; I had to smash my way through a dresser to get into this one because it had chairs behind it, preventing me from pushing it out of the way. Survivor houses almost always have guns & ammo, and this one was no exception. I found 69(!!!) Birdshot shells, and a Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 pistol with 51 rounds of JHP, Decent all around! One thing, though—survivor houses are pretty much always trapped, so don't blindly step around; and they have a VERY good chance of spawning Ferals.
Spoiler: Survivor house (click to show/hide)
But hey, I found my cough syrup after a while of scavenging houses! We're saved! Time to get the FRICK out of here before I get cornered. Oh, yeah; I actually did get cornered once, in a bathroom, while looting, by 3 zombies who came around the corner and through a window. Got out of all that with a few scratches. My spear, though, only took 1 level of actual damage for all the enemies I wound up killing, which is pretty impressive! "Well-made and will withstand the punishment of combat", indeed.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 07:34:09 pm by Xvareon »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that I've been situated for almost two weeks, and am fairly well-established, I need to start thinking about acquiring a vehicle. I don't want to just sit in one place forever, as I'll miss out on all the exploration and fun things to do in Cataclysm! However, with this being a No Hope run, most vehicles will be trashed and fuel is difficult to acquire. That's fine, it just means I need to range out a bit further. It also means it's time to be a bit more serious about my clothes and storage. I need to square away some medical supplies, at least a day's worth of food (for a high metabolism character) and water, preferably with my charcoal water purifier (made out of a gallon jug) just in case. I can also bring the sleeping bag that the scrapyard shed already has with me on expeditions.
Now, when you have items such as a Police duty belt with multiple pockets—in this case 4 pockets of 0.50L capacity and one holster for a baton—you can set the pocket settings, and manually move things around to arrange your gear how you like. This can be very important with backpacks, because some 'pockets' are actually attachment points like carabiners and straps, and using them at all adds additional encumbrance and can even make more noise when you move around. In my case, I'm currently using the baton slot for a hammer, which also takes the place of a makeshift crowbar for prying open crates. I have one pocket for bandages, in this case boiled makeshift ones; you can easily DIY a makeshift bandage, but its quality is inferior to if you bleach or boil it to properly sterilize it. Not that you run a risk of infection for not doing so, but its effect as far as enhancing healing of the wound suffers significantly. I also have a pocket for common tools such as scissors, a switchblade knife, flashlight, etc., and two more spare pockets for any small items I come across that I might want to keep.
In order to properly repair/refit a vehicle for my use, I'm likely gonna need electronics skill to work with batteries. None of the cars I've seen thus far had a functioning car battery. That's gonna be the big bottleneck for me for a while. Thankfully, I also looted a soldering iron recently, so I can bump my electronics skill even from a lowly 0 by training myself to solder and de-solder electronic parts. This is enough to get my skill to 2. I can bump it higher by practicing with a breadboard, multimeter/voltmeter and other things. Having good electronics skill lets you make stun guns, custom appliances, merge 5 light batteries into a medium (power tool-sized) battery, etc.
Spoiler: Nether creatures (click to show/hide)
As I venture further out, I'm going to encounter more dangerous foes, too. There's way, WAY worse out there than just zombies. For starters, you can find nether creatures—referencing Lovecraftian abominations, some of these are fairly easy, others a total menace, like Mi-Go or the Hounds of Tindalos. This one, though, the Kreck hound, was one of the lighter fare. Lucky me!

My spear alone may not cut it vs. certain foes, especially if I'm caught in disadvantageous terrain or they're just too fast. I do plan on bringing a gun, be it one of the shotguns (the Remington 870 Wingmaster or the Kel-Tec KSG) or a handgun, but I would want FMJ rounds to deal with armor, which I don't currently have. A shotgun, though, even with birdshot loads, is plenty good to deal with many enemies thanks to the way pellet spread works—it rolls multiple times per shot to hit something, so even if the damage reads 60, you can easily hit in the triple digits and just turn a zombie into hamburger. No, seriously—if you do enough damage in this game, enemies just explode. There's not even a body left, they just instantly turn into meat chunks and bones and fat on the ground.
Spoiler: Shotguns, compared (click to show/hide)
I can use the Compare command to compare the stats of two pieces of equipment side-by-side, with color-coding in red or green if one has an advantage over the other.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 09:28:17 pm by Xvareon »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been wondering what your inventory looks like.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been wondering what your inventory looks like.
Certainly! I've kept the hipflask full of cattail jelly since the earliest days. That was a really good bit of loot, since it gives me a perfect storage solution for a good bit of antiseptic for stopping infection from bites/deep wounds. I replaced the messenger bag I started with as a Survivor with a Military Rucksack, which is for some reason a fairly common drop from zombies. The newest addition is the tactical vest that holds a looted USP 9mm pistol, a marked upgrade over the Kel-Tec P-3AT I was going to take. I crafted the police duty belt because it gives me several good pouches for storing small tools and bandages, plus a holster for a baton or other small bashing weapon. I replaced the National Guard Ballistic Vest with a Hard Plastic Guard, basically football armor without the full padding, 'cause it has 4 less torso encumbrance, and I don't plan on getting close to anything that shoots bullets just yet. I also swapped my sneakers for steeltoed sneakers. Another very important addition to my kit is the filter mask, which I made to deal with gas and other environmental effects.

Ideally, I would want armband pouches for additional small storage to take it off my torso area, which can also turn into small leg purses. Those are so useful. I also want to upgrade my pants to cargo pants, or armored leather ones. Oh, and the antiparasitic drugs? I took those because of Dermatiks. These are fast, dog-sized parasitoid wasps that can lay eggs inside you, which painfully hatch into larvae. Antiparasitics kill these eggs before they hatch.
-----
It's time to head west/northwest, to areas I haven't quite discovered yet. I know there's a road leading in that direction, with a couple points of interest along it—a large bombed-out crater, for one, likely the result of a wayward artillery shell, which has blown up half the highway and left several units of rebar around I could use if I wanted. Rebar is not that useful to me, though, except for making ammunition for a railgun, assuming I get my electronics skill high enough to build one of those. .....Oh, yeah, did I forget to mention? DIY railguns are indeed a thing in this game, too. But I digress. XD
Private resorts are rich country clubs where you'd find limousines, golf equipment and the like. Not much use for me. Carriage houses, though, are very interesting. These are a variant of farm that consists primarily of a stables, small pasture, and shed for a carriage—not to mention Horses!
Spoiler: Horsey! (click to show/hide)
Yes, you can tame and ride horses in Cataclysm! They make a pretty good substitute for vehicles on their own, especially since you can put saddlebags on them. You can use them as muscle power for wagons/carts using rein & tackle, too. I manage to tame one of these horses using some feed in the stables, so I saddle it up. This whole farmhouse area with the horses would make a great location for a base, really—if not for the giant wasp nest at a corner of the property. Wasps tend not to attack unless and until you get close to them, though.
Spoiler: New enemies (click to show/hide)
On my expedition, I found two new enemy types: the Smoker and Batwing zombies. Smokers are just zombies that emit a constant cloud of smoke around them, and also 'explode' into smoke when they die. Smoke doesn't negatively affect zombies because they don't breathe, but humans that do will choke and be blinded within it. Luckily I brought the Filter Mask, which, when loaded with charcoal and activated, prevents bad effects from smoke inhalation. I still can't see through the smoke, but neither can zombies, and smoke also wipes out my scent trail so they have more trouble finding me. Batwing zombies are more fragile, but possess the ability to do short 'hops', basically teleporting a few tiles towards you on a cooldown of several seconds.
Spoiler: Mounted combat (click to show/hide)
You can fight from horseback, including with Reach weapons like a spear or pike, but I don't think this gives any additional damage and there are no "charge damage" mechanics. I was also physically unable to actually move my horse closer to enemies because the horse simply refuses to willingly move closer to zombies; I had to just sit still and wait for them to come to me, stab, then move away. I actually got thrown from the horse once and had to fight them off 'cause it dumped me in a bad spot, so it's still not mechanically ideal. It'd be easier to fight with a bow or other ranged weapon.

Horses can be really weird and awkward to deal with, but they're well worth it. Just make sure to Leash them with a short rope, so you can Tie them when you dismount. If you don't, they're liable to bolt away from you, and you've gotta go find and re-mount them. Tying a horse, though, can be done in thin air; you don't actually need a post or anything.

Another issue with horses is the weight limit—they can only hold so much of you, so they can't just lug all your loot as easily as a car would. They're still perfect for scouting, hunting, and moving from place to place in a hurry. A horse can walk about 3 times as fast as you, and, obviously, run even faster.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 09:46:48 am by Xvareon »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Not much of a post this time, but that's because there's a big freaking one a'coming.)
-----
It's nighttime again, and a full moon, at that—moon phases affect just how 'deep' the darkness is, and how far you can see at night. Of course, having the Night Vision perk like I do gives me a clear advantage no matter what. It's gonna be time to do some raiding soon, and I've picked out the Private Resort I found earlier for such a task. This is because resorts tend to have very well-stocked kitchens, larders, a garage, and plenty of other amenities I can loot. The problem is gonna be that the place is absolutely crawling with zombies, as you're all gonna find out in the next session. ;)

Before that, though, it looks like I've found a possible new base location -- this abandoned Junkyard!
Spoiler: Junkyard (click to show/hide)
So in no particular order, we've got:  brick walls and laminated/reinforced glass, plus some steel doors to stop enemies; barbed wire around the whole property; mechanical winches for the gates and garage I can use to open and close them; a handjack for changing vehicle wheels; and several vehicles in varying states that I can scrap for plenty of parts. I'm thinking of making this my new base! It's gonna require me to move a lot of stuff over, but I can do that in less than a day. This garage is ideal for all kinds of crafting and vehicle construction, not least because the heap of scrap in there now is a full-size van, so I know it can hold some good-sized cars (up to 8 tiles long comfortably). Another important note—when crafting, I can use any items and materials within 7 walking tiles of the space I'm crafting from, and I can use any vehicle-manipulating gear (like handjacks) if they're within 4 tiles of the vehicle part to be manipulated and have line of sight.

Speaking of vehicles and parts. The Trans-Coast Logistics lot I raided earlier is not far off to the east of the junkyard. So I go there, because I spotted a decent electric car running on Li-Ion storage batteries and solar panels. Only problem is, while I was there, some zombies whacked against it and destroyed half the panels. :(  Not a terrible deal, though, as it's the Large Electric Motor in there I care about. This thing's basically a Tesla. It runs completely on electricity, so I don't gotta worry about finding that vanishingly rare fuel in a No Hope run.

While I was there, too, I found and killed some Flesh-Raptors.
Spoiler: Flesh-Raptors (click to show/hide)
These things are fast-moving and dangerous, partly due to their decent Cut damage that can pierce thin armor, and also 'cause they have wings and can fly over chain link fences and such. However, they barely break twenty pounds each and die in one good solid hit, or about 30-ish damage, which is about what a +P+-rated 9mm bullet deals. My spear finished these things off just fine. And if you're wondering where they came from, I couldn't see, but there had to be a Pupating Zombie somewhere up there. Those will spawn Flesh-Raptors when they pop, and you don't need to kill them for that to happen. My best advice would be to bring a decent gun or try to bottleneck them, because the raptors are like zerglings -- you do NOT want them surrounding you.

Alright, so that's it for this installment. Next, I will raid during this same night and go to the Private Resort. This is a rich guys' country club bound to have a pool, strippers, a casino, and all that good stuff. It's also gonna be packed to the gills with enemies. But I am ready for a challenge, and so is my trusty Knife Spear!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dang your world seems way more interesting than my current one haven't found any locations that were that interesting besides the light industry, hope you got a few screen shots of the inside of the resort as I've yet to encounter one.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, basically, if this were D&D the whole session would be almost entirely combat. DM would just immediately go "ROLL INITIATIVE". Against what, you may ask? Oh, how about ~200 zombies?
-----
But first, we have to get in there. The situation is as follows:  Full moon at midnight, Private Resort, knife spear + USP .45. The last is a newer addition to the kit, utilizing a Tactical Vest I scavenged to hold the pistol + a couple spare 15-round magazines and about 30 extra rounds to refill them with. I bring a gun for two reasons—to take down enemies too dangerous to deal with in melee; and to have an option for when my stamina gets too low to fight or run. And why am I going to a Private Resort, anyway? Because they have state-of-the-art appliances, including Solar Panels; plentiful tools & gear; a very well-stocked kitchen; and usually some guns and ammo, too. They also tend to be guarded by security, and the security officers can also drop guns and ammo I can use. So without further ado, here we go.
Spoiler: Nighttime raid (click to show/hide)
Now, as always, I keep to my tried-and-true method of baiting enemies through wrecked vehicles, then stabbing them with my reach weapon. All vehicles take 4x as long to move through as normal ground, giving me plenty of free attacks, and in a case like this where I can force them through a 1-tile wide gap (the front of a truck), it's even more ideal. Even if I have to fight over empty ground, I can typically sprint away a couple tiles and just stab them again.
Spoiler: Police SUV (click to show/hide)
This police SUV had a trio of cops milling around it. I can only assume that, given the number of uniformed police officers plus the sheer volume of civilians, I happened upon a country club that was getting raided by police right when the zombie apocalypse hit. The high quantity of heroin, marijuana and booze I've spotted in the building and on some bodies already supports this theory. And on one of the former cops' bodies, I find something rather interesting—a .454 Casull Taurus Raging Bull, which I believe has the same caliber as the guns Alucard uses in Hellsing Ultimate. Sweet! This'll help me punch up against armored enemies... assuming I can actually find some .454 Casull rounds instead of the .410 5000-pellet shotgun shells it's loaded with.
Let's hit the dining area!
This Thorny Shambler I find there is why I brought my USP .45. Shamblers are part-plant zombies that can fire organic spines tipped with paralyzing toxin at you—in game terms, these reduce your speed, or how many action points it takes you to move a single tile or take other actions. I actually did get hit by one of these, learning the hard way they can hit at range. My gunfire attracted more zombies, of course, but I just turned the dining room into a deathtrap for them by baiting them over tables and chairs, slowing them down so I could stab them to death.

What's cooking in the kitchen?
Spoiler: Kitchen (click to show/hide)
Hopefully, you can see what I mean about the concentration of enemies, buffed even further by my world settings having enemy spawns at 150% of normal.
Spoiler: Garage (click to show/hide)
And here at the lower left corner of the property, we find the attached garage with a pickup truck with a 2.8L V6 engine. The truck is actually in fairly decent shape. It's missing a battery, though... not to mention gas... or a tank to hold the gas in. (-_-)  The tank is easy enough, the gas, not so much. I'm better off trying to restore that Tesla from earlier.
And here we have yet more tactics at play—run the frick away from a direct engagement with this many enemies, and pull them into a bottleneck created by pulled-together furniture and thick steel doors. Kitchens like this are great places to fight because of the sturdy insulated walls and galvanized steel doors that stop anything short of the strongest zombies.
Spoiler: FRICKFRICKFRICK (click to show/hide)
Even with all my efforts, though, I still get chased out of the building due to the sheer press of bodies, 'cause some are starting to hear it from upstairs and coming to see the fuss. I get pushed out all the way to that police SUV, but because it's nighttime, I turn my helmet-with-flashlight off, confusing the zombies who can only trace my last known position, while I can see at a fair distance thanks to my Night Vision perk.
-----
I can't fit everything into one installment, there's just too much building to cover. Clearing this entire place room by room was time-consuming, but very worthwhile. You'll see why once I tally up all the loot properly later on.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 08:05:35 pm by Xvareon »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I said I had to clear this place room-by-room, I wasn't kidding. This place has four levels—ground floor, basement, 2nd floor, and the roof. Most of them were at ground level, but I found plenty of them upstairs to deal with. 2nd floor is mostly bedrooms and private parlors, fit for a luxury hotel, with small balconies overlooking the pool in the center of ground level. The whole building is styled like a hollow square like that.
Most of the bedrooms are locked. This isn't a problem, though; the doors are wood, which zombies can bash through, or I can if necessary. If I had a crowbar, I could just pry them open. But I don't, so every door has to come down so I can be sure I got everyone.
Here's the balcony directly over the front door, supported by columns from below. You can't quite see it, but there's stairs to ground level right where my character's standing. There's stairs up from the balcony straight to the roof, where those Solar Panels I mentioned are at.
Spoiler: Dance parlor, ruined (click to show/hide)
The parlor just off from the kitchen where I found several dozen zombies is cleared, now. Bunch of ruined tables. Private dance rooms are just north of that, and I can access it through some curtains behind the main stage. There's even a freaking piano in the bottom left of this room.
Spoiler: Grappler (click to show/hide)
At the northeast corner of the complex, there's some stairs down that lead to a storage area—including a locked metal gate that can only be opened by lever from the inside, or by me picking the pick on the door, which I do not have enough skill to do right now. There must be something quite valuable through there, and I can hear zombies moving in there too—or it could be people who are hiding in there, having locked themselves in to escape. I just can't tell. What I did find was a Grappler Zombie down there, which is a nasty evolution with the ability to grab and pull you from a few tiles away. This is very dangerous when they're not alone, as they can pull you out of an advantageous position and right into melee with other enemies.
Spoiler: Shotgun (click to show/hide)
I did find a new shotgun in this side room that held the stairs to the cellar, though. A Mossberg 500 Field. Just look at the ASCII art on this baby! Not only that, but several dozen 00 shotgun shells! Now I can keep a shotty with me if I choose, although because I'm carrying a spear strap with the knife spear on my back, trying to carry said shotgun with a shoulder strap on my back is going to severely impact my encumbrance. It would be slightly easier to carry it with a sling on my front, but I'll have to craft one.
Full view of the ground level of the complex, after I've finished my zombie slaying. You can't quite see all the corpses and ruined furniture strewn around in the fog of war, but there's quite a lot. I killed well over 100 zombies around the resort, and now I can take my time looting! The key centerpiece of this is of course the 6 solar panels still on the roof, which I can take down and repurpose as charging for an electric vehicle or power for home appliances. Those panels will be the key to setting up a proper base.
Spoiler: Map view (click to show/hide)
And here's the view from the roof, using a pair of binoculars I looted off one of the zombies. Binoculars/spyglasses allow one to see double the distance they normally can on the overmap, though for a near-sighted character, I need glasses to gain this benefit. Fortunately, I do!
Spoiler: Drug bust (click to show/hide)
HAH! I was right! There's cocaine, heroin, weed, and look -- completely full 50 liter drums of booze! We've got IPA, vodka and Pilsner.
I also took down one of the workbenches from the kitchen. This is a boon, because it gives even more of a boost to crafting speed than simply crafting at a table or other flat surface. It's made of metal and heavy as hell, but I manage to muscle it all the way back to my junkyard base.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Congrats, you truly slayed the zombies tonight!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seeing how well this run is going for you it makes me think I should try a spear run at some point rather than my usual guns and all the encumbrance.

Also the .454 Casull you found is one of those guns that can use multiple different types of ammo, those being .454, .410, and .45 long colt.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spears really are pretty strong, yeah! Even if you have guns with you as well, the torso encumbrance from having a spear in a strap doesn't matter much 'cause guns are mostly affected by eyesight and hand encumbrance, unlike torso which is for melee.

The key is to bait enemies over poor terrain. It takes a zombie longer to act after moving into shrubs, glass-filled windows, vehicles, etc. than it does flat ground. You can exploit this with one-handers, too, but spears are best. I haven't even acquired the martial art of Sojutsu, which grants me new techniques with spears, including the ability to push back an enemy from an adjacent tile.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the solar panels I scrapped off the roof of the private resort, I apply three of them and a battery to replace what was lost on that electric car in the TCL parking lot, and by now it has charged just enough for me to limp it back to base. This gives me a vehicle I can use, albeit a very light aluminum-built one that I would not want to try running over zombies with, and one that I can only drive for about 17 minutes average a day thanks to how slow the panels charge.

There's going to be some base design and resource acquisition going on for a while. As a high metabolism character, it cannot be overstated just how many calories I need to maintain my weight and keep enjoying that stamina recovery boost from the perk. I eat an average of 4000-6000 calories a day, and high activity increases how many I burn. Combat isn't so bad about this because even though it's intense, it's only for short bursts. Construction and vehicle work, on the other hand, drains me quite a bit.
First off is getting this full-size van out of my garage. How, you ask? By smashing it to pieces with a Homewrecker, which is just a big stick with a bunch of metal tied to it like an impromptu sledgehammer! Oh, but I only smash the parts that are already almost destroyed or close to it, because those cannot be repaired anyway, they must be replaced. I hacksaw off anything still in decent shape, securing myself a handful of seats, steel frames and seatbelts in the process. After that, the van wreckage is completely gone, rendered into scrap metal for further projects.
Now we move on to food. Remember that horse I got from the carriage house? It wasn't the only one. I kind of feel bad for this, but horses are prime rib in the Cataclysm, and a high metab guy like me is HANGRY after that demo work. So I go there to stab one, and actually wind up with two 'cause another had wind up dead already, maybe by wasps or zombies.

Horses weigh about ~1200 lbs and are FAR too bulky for me to carry back like this. I have to field dress and quarter them on-site. Luckily, I can haul them back with the electric car I restored.
Spoiler: Preservation (click to show/hide)
Storing all that meat to avoid spoilage is tougher, though. I have no freezer. What I do have is that refrigerator from my old scrapyard base, the one I 'borrowed' from the owner 'cause the AI in this game doesn't apply ownership to furniture-turned-items. So while a couple smoking racks I set up are smoking 80 chunks of meat (400 calories apiece) per rack every 6 hours, I store the rest in the fridge at the garage, and power the fridge by hooking it up to some spare solar panels plus linking them to my electric car's own solar grid.

Now, I'd like to take a moment to talk about meat, because this isn't like Dwarf Fortress where there are different meat products (liver, sweetbread, etc.) but they all count as 1 unit of meat. No, this game tracks vitamin count, toxins, and individual calories. So when I butcher something as big as a horse, here's what I get:  Chunks of meat; scraps of meat (10 = 1 chunk's worth); fat; liver; kidney; sweetbread (pancreas, etc.); brains (which can also be used to tan leather); hides/pelts; bones (for weapons/tools/charcoal); sinew (thread for sewing); a large stomach (can be made into a waterskin); and some trash/refuse that can just be burned. Field-dressing a corpse removes the organs and helps prevent spoilage of the meat, at least for some hours. You're meant to cook or preserve the rest by then.

The best way I have right now of utilizing all this meat is undoubtedly fried meat. I can turn the animal fat into cooking oil or tallow, then use that to fry up the chunks of meat into ~600 calorie portions, which is perfect for my character! Calorie density is weighed against the volume of food, so even if you have something in your stomach so you don't feel hungry, you can still not be getting enough nourishment. If I also find a way to get flour, I can enhance this further by making sandwiches/burgers.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 04:31:08 pm by Xvareon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3