Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No modding on Linux  (Read 996 times)

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No modding on Linux
« on: July 10, 2024, 03:49:42 am »

Hi,

I am running DF Steam under Linux. I have no button to load mods during world creation.

Bug or feature?

J.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: No modding on Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 04:42:56 pm »

Do you have mods either in your /mods/ or /data/installed_mods/ folders?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 03:32:18 am »

neither nor.

I am running it under steam and I read to go to the workshot section and simply to subscribe to modes. No download would be necessary. That's the way it worked for the Windows version.

I am still subscribed to mods but there are no buttons for any downloads of mods.

The Linux version seems to be different?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 08:50:27 am »

Are you saying when you start thw game, there's no "mods" button on the main menu, or that when you go to "create new world" that there is no "mods" button at the bottom of the screen to select what mods to include in the world?

You could help us understand by taking a screenshot of the main menu, create world menu, arena start menu.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 12:58:36 pm »

Since your mods folder is empty, this looks to be more of an issue with Steam's download manager than the game. My cursory search in the UI didn't give any hints, but it seems like a common enough issue that you could look up why the Workshop isn't downloading on your Linux version.

P.S.: "SoundSense Originals" and "Simon Swerwer Soundtrack" are practically identical content-wise (two branches of the same source). In the interest of minimizing redundant files, I would suggest subscribing to one or the other.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 06:14:06 am »

to your attention:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2908486502

found by accident in the steam community

I followed that workaround and it is working now. But I used symbolik links instead of copying the folders

Code: [Select]
~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Dwarf Fortress/data/installed_mods> ls -al
lrwxrwxrwx 1 joachim joachim   72 12. Jul 13:34 detailed_environment (21) -> /home/joachim/.steam/steam/steamapps/workshop/content/975370/2908779064//
lrwxrwxrwx 1 joachim joachim   72 12. Jul 13:44 simon_swerwer_soundtrack (5) -> /home/joachim/.steam/steam/steamapps/workshop/content/975370/3009635554//

The paths are for an Opensuse, Debian and derivates paths are as given in the steam community post
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 06:49:26 am by Elvedritsche »