Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX  (Read 13795 times)

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm using tilt controls!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
Re: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2024, 01:04:09 pm »

Ah yes. Bets. Assuming what I read was correct, I should have 87 gold. Now, what to do with that gold?
What to do with that gold apart from bet it all, that’s right, all 87, on Steelblood Deathedge. Good luck all, and may the best better win. Er- fighter.

Since you bet all 100 gold on Howard in round 1 and won that bet, you have well more than 87 at the moment!
Right now, you have 174☼ available, the second most after Enemy Post's 190☼.
I'll place your bet for 87 for now, but feel free to correct it later (as long as you do so before the deadline)!

If you're ever unsure about your funds, you can check the Bets tab on the tournament spreadsheet here!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2024, 09:47:57 pm »

This post is aimed at you, RNG gods of Dwarf Fortress. You owe me.

Story time.

Last year I submitted a very meta character, you know the usual (obvious if you look at previous winners) small humanoid with high dodging + weapon skill.
Last year my meta character also died to a minotaur with very low skills, can't remember the details but the matchup was something like

My char with professional weapon skills, adept shield, professional dodger, proficient armor-user, competent observer and discipline with full steel armor, steel weapon and shield.
vs. a shield minotaur with like level 2 levels of offense like kicking, biting, misc. object user etc.

and still my char got kicked in the head almost lethally which eventually resulted in the loss.

So this year I thought, I'll try that funny build too, big character with a shield, somehow tank through all the damage and get that ridiculously lucky lethal hit with barely no skills involved.

However, now that I've ran hundreds of simulated fights with different builds against my next opponent with the aforementioned meta build, there's p much no chance for a win, just like it shoulda been last year as well. It's literally 20-to-1 or worse. In fact, I changed my build around a bit and the best I could do was a 15-25% win rate against an optimized build on the character Melon Tusk will face next. I'm gonna bet most of my money on the opponent's character, cos that's what should win and I fully expect to beat my character, unless the RNG gods interfere yet again.

I believe in you. 190 gold on Melon Tusk.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Sir Dorfleburg

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us end this pointless fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2024, 11:59:44 am »

Ah yes. Bets. Assuming what I read was correct, I should have 87 gold. Now, what to do with that gold?
What to do with that gold apart from bet it all, that’s right, all 87, on Steelblood Deathedge. Good luck all, and may the best better win. Er- fighter.

Since you bet all 100 gold on Howard in round 1 and won that bet, you have well more than 87 at the moment!
Right now, you have 174☼ available, the second most after Enemy Post's 190☼.
I'll place your bet for 87 for now, but feel free to correct it later (as long as you do so before the deadline)!

If you're ever unsure about your funds, you can check the Bets tab on the tournament spreadsheet here!

Oh, well, in that case. I bet
173 gold on Steelblood Deathedge! I should really check my coffers.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2024, 12:09:12 pm »

As the manager of Leaf Lordedge I would like to take the time to settle the matter of recent controversy involving his entry ship to the tournament.

Leaf is not from the elven forests, in fact, he is from a human city. He happened to be in town selling people with hats that would restore hair loss if worn for a long enough period. The hats did not perform such miracles and in flight from the guards he ran into the tournament and entered himself under the new alias.

I have come forward only at the behest of great pressure from the captain of the guard, because I am also not a traditional gladiator manager

-A spear jabs me in the shoulder- ow!

okay okay okay. Yeah so I'm legally homeless and I was outside the arena at the time looking for alms to be given. I agreed because he promised me a free meal, to which he did not deliver before he died.

My sincerest apologies and I beg the court to not exile me to a goblin dark pit.

Yours in love, Maloy.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2024, 12:37:35 pm »

This post is aimed at you, RNG gods of Dwarf Fortress. You owe me.

Story time.

Last year I submitted a very meta character, you know the usual (obvious if you look at previous winners) small humanoid with high dodging + weapon skill.
Last year my meta character also died to a minotaur with very low skills, can't remember the details but the matchup was something like

My char with professional weapon skills, adept shield, professional dodger, proficient armor-user, competent observer and discipline with full steel armor, steel weapon and shield.
vs. a shield minotaur with like level 2 levels of offense like kicking, biting, misc. object user etc.

and still my char got kicked in the head almost lethally which eventually resulted in the loss.

So this year I thought, I'll try that funny build too, big character with a shield, somehow tank through all the damage and get that ridiculously lucky lethal hit with barely no skills involved.

However, now that I've ran hundreds of simulated fights with different builds against my next opponent with the aforementioned meta build, there's p much no chance for a win, just like it shoulda been last year as well. It's literally 20-to-1 or worse. In fact, I changed my build around a bit and the best I could do was a 15-25% win rate against an optimized build on the character Melon Tusk will face next. I'm gonna bet most of my money on the opponent's character, cos that's what should win and I fully expect to beat my character, unless the RNG gods interfere yet again.

I believe in you. 190 gold on Melon Tusk.

<3 Melon and I will be putting in some extra hours of melon skewering tomorrow.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2024, 12:14:00 pm »

120 gold and a bottle of rum on Captain Drekkar!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lord Capybara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2024, 04:40:10 pm »

Ahhhh yes fresh blood has been spilled on the arena grounds!
Here I am betting my 60 gold on Kraken!

eldritchScholar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2024, 04:54:02 pm »

I was right, she did have what it takes! 

66 gold on Grovewarden!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2024, 12:49:30 am »

75 Gold on Captain Drekkar.

75 Gold on Kraken.

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm using tilt controls!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2024, 06:59:41 am »

And with that, bets for Round 2 are closed!

I'll make another post about the statistics later - right this moment, I'm a little pressed for time.

Good luck to all gladiators, managers, and bettors!

Sir Dorfleburg

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us end this pointless fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2024, 09:44:03 am »

75 Gold on Captain Drekkar.

75 Gold on Kraken.

Not to be annoying or anything. I may in fact be totally wrong, but I believe you can only bet on one Gladiator? As I said, I might be wrong. I just suggest you check, because I probably am wrong.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2024, 01:09:30 pm »

I'm so ready for tusk v drekkar - what a matchup! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2024, 01:18:25 pm »

I'm so ready for tusk v drekkar - what a matchup! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

From a manager's point of view I'm deathly afraid for 'ol Tusky. He's vastly outgunned.

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
Round 2 Upgrade Reveals
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2024, 04:02:23 pm »

Please do not use this information to "spoil" fights by running them and prematurely telling people the results. Unexpected things can always happen with a sample size of 1.

Rudolf Lundgren:
During the downtime between matches, a time normally spent training, Rudolph is nowhere to be seen. His manager is biting their fingernails as the day of the match vs Steelblood Deathedge arrives. Barely an hour before the scheduled time, Lundgren returns, storming in through the front halls, glistening with sweat.

"Where the hells have you been?"

"I went on a journey, where fabulous secret powers were revealed to me. And, by the Sword of Bel-Nekol, I have the power!"

"Yeah that's great man. But unfortunately, the magic update isn't out. I hope you know how to use that thing, cause Steelblood sure knows how to use his. Towel yourself off, for Armok's sake, and get in there!"

210.5 points

Equipment
Steel Longsword -96

Skills
Swordsman none->Talented -105

9.5pts remaining
(Existing: Leather gloves, leggings, highboots; Competent Fighter, Talented Striker, Skilled Dodger)

Steelblood Deathedge:
Points this round at 230.

Equipment (20)
Iron Mask (2×10=20)

Skills (210)
(Lv.3) Competent → (Lv.5) Proficient Fighter (+27)
(Lv.5) Proficient → (Lv.8) Expert Swordsman (+105)
(Lv.0) None → (Lv.1) Novice Wrestler (4)
(Lv.5) Proficient → (Lv.7) Adept Dodger (+65)
(Lv.0) None → (Lv.2) Adequate Discipline (9)

While heavy armour might be the obvious response to a boxer, Steelblood goes light on it, believing it to be dishonorable. He instead spends his allotment training intensely, meditating on the nature of bloodshed, and forging a very cool iron war-mask: an intimidating visage in an ancestral style, but with his own personal flair reflective of his supposed yet poorly defined dark curse.

Snaggle the Mad Sadist:

+24 Sell Iron Battle Axe
_

-96 Steel Battle Axe
-48 Steel Helm

-54 Proficient Axeman
-35 Skilled Dodger
-16 Skilled Shield User
_

- Will wear loincloth, plus silk cloak, trousers, gloves and shoes.

Sir Capybarrian the Wise:

Skills:
Skilled Fighter (30)
Proficient Armour User (30)
Upgrade Observer from Competent to Proficient (27)
Upgrade Shield User from Adequate to Skilled (28)
Upgrade Spearman from Competent to Skilled (20)
Upgrade Dodge from Skilled to Proficient (25)

Equipment:
Iron Helm (24)
Iron Gauntlets (16)
Capybara Leather Armour (12)

Points left: 14

Uvash:
Competent Shield User
Talented Hammerman
Copper helm, copper mail shirt, copper breastplate,copper chain leggings, copper gauntlets, copper high boots

Archelaus the Cunning:

Skills:
         Skilled Maceman-> Talented Maceman (55)
         Competent Dodger-> Proficient Dodger (45)
         Competent Shield User-> Skilled Shield User (16)
         Adequate Armor User->Competent Armor User (6)
         Adequate Fighter->Competent Fighter (9)

Equipment:
         Steel High Boots (40)
         Steel Breastplate (80)
         Sell Leather Armor (+6)

Remaining: 1.5

Grovewarden Gaia:
Skills:
Dodger 1 to 7 (-135)
Armour User 1 to 3 (-10)
Fighter 0 to 1 (-3)
Discipline 0 to 1 (-3)

Spent 151 of 155

Kraken:
130 - (15 + 20 + 25 for dodge) - (24 + 30 for axeman) - (8 for wrestle) - (6 for discipline)
2 points remaining

Howard:
I’m gonna spend 225 of my 263 points on accomplished dodging, as Howard spends all his downtime skittering about his enclosure
If cloaks are still free I think his owner would give him one as a reward
38 points remaining.

Ine the Undead Impaler:
Mail shirt from Copper to Steel
Spear from Copper to Steel

Fighter from Adequate to Competent
Spearman Skilled to Proficient
Dodger Novice to Adequate
Shield User Adequate to Competent
Armor User Adequate to Competent
Observer None to Novice
Discipline Novice to Adequate

0.5 points with refunds from the copper

Melon Tusk:
I'd like to sell my blood thorn shield for 22.5p giving me a total of 142.5p to use.

Skill upgrades:
+ Dodger 1 -> 3 (25p)
+ Wrestler 0 -> 2 (12p)
+ Armor-user 0 -> 2 (12p)

Equipment upgrades:
+ Iron mail shirt 48p
+ Iron high boots 20p
+ Iron helm 24p
+ Giant Cave Spider silk cloak 0p
+ Giant Cave Spider silk socks 0p
+ Giant Cave Spider silk gloves 0p
+ Giant Cave Spider silk turban 0p

total used: 141p
left-over: 1.5p

Captain Drekkar:
Upgrade points available per Tournament spreadsheet: 214.5

Adequate Fighter (9 points) -> Competent Fighter (18 points), net cost of 9 points.

Proficient Swordsman (75 points) -> Talented Swordsman (105 points), net cost of 30 points.

Proficient Dodger (75 points) -> Professional Dodger (225 points), net cost of 150 points.

Novice discipline (3 points) -> Competent Discipline (18 points), net cost of 15 points

Points check: 9+30+150+15 = 204

Leppo:
Leppo has 132.5 pts. Please add the following skills and equipment to his character:

Skilled Misc Object User (30pts; for when he steals stuff and smacks his opponents with said stuff, hehehe)

Expert Wrestler (24+28+32 = 84pts)

Competent Dodger (15pts)

Leaving Leppo with 3.5 pts leftover, if I am not mistaken.

That One Cat We Found:
Starting Points -> 251

Proficient Lasher -- Adept Lasher -> -78
Adequate Dodger -- Skilled Dodger -> -35
Competent Armour User -- Adept Armour User -> -44
No Discipline -- Proficient Discipline -> -45

Remaining Points -> 49

Verden "Crabcakes" Oceanblade:
Points to spend: 245

Upgrade to:

Expert Dodger: 75 Points

Great Striker: 152 points

Skilled Wrestler: 16 points

Total: 243 points spent
2 remaining

Rugard:
213.5 points
Talented Hammerman -> Professional Hammerman  120 points
+Skilled Dodger  50 points

170 points spent

43.5 points remaining

Please do not use this information to "spoil" fights by running them and prematurely telling people the results. Unexpected things can always happen with a sample size of 1.

Eris235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2024, 09:00:01 pm »

Finished up a pixel art rendition of all the round 1 combatants, battle royale included.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17