Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX  (Read 13774 times)

Sir Dorfleburg

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us end this pointless fighting!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2024, 02:45:31 pm »

Akur, Akir, Akam!

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm using tilt controls!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2024, 05:40:00 am »

Bets for the semifinals close in an hour and change, so make sure to get yours in if you haven't yet!

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2024, 02:50:12 pm »

And with that, bets for this round are closed!

Good luck in the semifinals!

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX Round 4 upgrades
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2024, 11:47:51 am »

Sir Capybarrian the Wise:

Equipment:
Sell Iron Spear(+20)
Buy Adamantine Spear(240)
Capybara Leather Leggins(7)

Points left 9.5

Kraken:
Proficient Observer
Adept Dodging
Talented Axeman

15.5 points remaining

Captain Drekkar:
Master -> Grand Master Dodger

Adept -> Expert Swordsman

Leather Cap

Iron Breastplate

Rugard:
Upgrade Points: 222.5

Accomplished Hammerman -> Master Hammerman (115)
Adept Dodger -> Professional Dodger (85)

Points Remaining: 22.5

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
Round 4 Results
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2024, 11:49:10 am »

Round 4

Fight 4A: Sir Capybarrian the Wise Capybara Man vs Kraken the Minotaur
Gamelog: https://pastebin.com/ZJ3AcgJn

For the first of our semifinalists, we have Sir Capybarrian the Wise (managed by Lord Capybara)! Now sporting an adamantine spear that shines as brightly as his intellect, this canny fighter has yet to shed any of his blood on our arena’s floor, though Steelblood came awfully close to it last round! Now facing the burliest of our remaining gladiators, we’ll see if his shiny new weapon lets him keep up his record.

Kraken (managed by Asheeer) is the largest remaining gladiator. Still nearly entirely nude save for a loincloth and iron helm, the mighty minotaur has proven himself a force to be reckoned with. Despite his protestations that he wants to be left alone by all the adventurers bothering him in his labyrinth, he seems to have been terrifically good at tearing them apart. Perhaps he should be at least a little thankful to them for all the training they gave him…

Kraken’s steel great axe smashes against the adamantine spear’s haft, but bounces off the remarkable weapon, all while Sir Capybarrian keeps in motion to pierce the minotaur’s body. Kraken is well aware of the damage such a weapon can do, and remains wary of it, staying far away from wherever the blue tip goes. Several more axe blows fall down on Sir Capybarrian, but each time his shield is in Kraken’s way, causing splinters instead of blood and limbs to go flying into the air.

One overenthusiastic lunge from Sir Capybarrian upsets the careful balance of the fight though, as Kraken rushes into the opening, and sweeps his axe through the top of the rodent knight’s right foot and to topple to the ground! Kraken attempts to seal the deal, but only catches Sir Capybarrian’s right leg at the knee, stranding him on the ground permanently, but not taking him out of the fight yet. Kraken pursues his foe as he scrambles backwards, landing several light blows on his left foot, but can’t seem to make direct contact. Rattled by his serious injury, neither can Sir Capybarrian, as a strike from his spear only grazes the skin on Kraken’s shin.

The retaliatory swing tears open Sir Capybarrian’s right bicep, as more of his blood flows onto the greedy arena stones. Gritting his teeth and grasping firmly onto his spear with his working hand, Sir Capybarrian thrusts it as hard as he can in Kraken’s left foot! The minotaur bellows in pain, and topples to the ground, but instead of reaching out to brace his fall, his hands instead tighten on his great axe. Adding both his strength and the force of the fall to it, the massive weapon cleaves straight into the chest of Sir Capybarrian, ending his bid for the tournament.

Congratulations on your victory Kraken! Don’t worry about that adamantine spear in your foot, we’ll get it properly removed once we get enough people here to haul you to the hospital…

Fight 4B: Captain Drekkar the Human vs Rugard the Lion Man
Gamelog: https://pastebin.com/FriE5uYZ

Captain Drekkar (managed by Quantum Drop) saunters into the arena. After spending a good deal of his time in training, including some live fire ones courtesy of the marksdwarf militia, Drekkar managed to come out completely unscathed! I’d dare say he could now dodge the blowing wind! He also seems to have acquired a pale leather cap somewhere. Not sure I really want to know where from…

Facing him is the second of our two beefy gladiators, Rugard (managed by MugwumptheGrand)! His weapon has been very fortuitous for him in previous matches, whether it being in clubbing Leppo the Leopard Seal Man to death, or hammering open the shell of Verden Oceanblade the Crab Man. But against a regular old human? We’ll have to watch and see!

We don’t have to wait very long thankfully, as Rugard lets out a ferocious roar and charges forward, copper maul held at the ready over his head. Captain Drekkar mutely meets him in the middle of the arena, as Rugard goes for a decisive first strike, attempting to introduce his maul to the good Cap’n’s head! Drekkar dodges right out of the way though, and Rugard is left struggling to lift the maul back into a ready position as Captain Drekkar cuts in, his sword whirling like the arms of a hurricane! It sinks deep into Rugard’s thigh, smashing against bone, and toppling the proud lion man to the ground in shocked state at his sudden fall! Captain Drekkar wastes no time, and promptly stabs Rugard up to the hilt of his sword in the head, securing the remaining spot in the final for himself.

Congratulations, and we’ll see both of our victors there!

As usual, the Loser's Battle Royale will precede the finale.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 11:57:54 am by Mkhos »

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
Finale Upgrades
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2024, 11:53:33 am »

All managers who were victorious in Round 4 will see their available amount of upgrade points to the far right of their gladiator in the spreadsheet.

Note about the algorithm: if you look at the numbers a bit closer, you can see that whenever the simple multiplication by 1.5 created a number that had something other than .5 in its decimal part, we rounded it up to the closest .5; so, .25 becomes .5 and .75 becomes 1. This was done to avoid infinite splintering of the points.

Special Note about this last round of upgrades: In order to be at roughly the same points level as Logem Branchsyrup, the current reigning champion, the two surviving gladiators this round will get an extra pool of their base points to draw from for their upgrades in the last round. This pool is separate from the normal amount of points they normally get by surviving, and these pools may not be combined to buy items that exceed the individual amounts available in each pool. The two separate amounts in each pool will be separated by a "+" on the upgrade sheet

The Arena Personnel asks you to provide your upgrades as soon as possible. The deadline is the 9th of August, 12 GMT. We ask for your understanding on these matters; we need time to run and process the fights.

Please remember that your upgrades should be sent to dfgtcommittee@gmail.com. The upgrades will later be revealed via a separate post.

Good luck and go with Armok!

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2024, 12:34:29 pm »

And the bet results for the semifinals are up!

A total of 742☼ were bet on the two matches:

• Sir Capybarrian the Wise: 548☼ in 2 bets
  • Rugard: 100☼ in 1 bet
  • Kraken: 94 in 1 bet
  • Captain Drekkar: no bets placed.

Match 4A was the highest-stakes match this round, with 642☼ in 3 bets.
Only a single bet was placed for match 5A, with 100☼ on the defeated Rugard.

Of the four bets, only a single one was placed on a winning gladiator.

Stimraug, the previously most successful bettor, bet and lost everything - one of two bettors to go bankrupt this round.
The position is instead claimed by Salmeuk, the only bettor to place a winning bet this round, raking in a stunning payout of 742☼ thanks to Kraken's victory, higher than any other seen in this tournament or the last.

What an upset! Betting for the final match is now open.
The deadline is the 9th of August, 12 GMT!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2024, 01:46:41 pm »

Hey, we’re going to have either a human or a minotaur win! That’ll be fun, looking forward to seeing a non-animal person win.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2024, 05:30:13 pm »

Numerically the odds are against it with 200 or so animal people.

I didn't catch the last round of betting. This time I'm going to bet 430 Gold on Drekkar

Are we allowed any upgrades to bring us up to speed prior to the losers battle royale, or are we stuck with our prior un-upgraded rounds?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mkhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Tournament Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2024, 08:03:50 pm »

Are we allowed any upgrades to bring us up to speed prior to the losers battle royale, or are we stuck with our prior un-upgraded rounds?

All gladiators in the Loser's Battle Royale are using their round 1 loadouts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2024, 09:06:15 pm »

Ah, alright then
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2024, 07:08:28 am »

Yeah, Sir Capybarrian had upgraded their gear and skills in a very meta way so far, so I felt safe betting everything on him. Then, for some unfathomable reason they upgrade to an adamantium spear against an opponent without any armor, when they could have honed their skills further. Oh well.

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2024, 08:16:14 am »

Quote from: Stimraug
[...] so I felt safe betting everything [...]

There's the rub, I feel.
You took a very big risk, and it didn't pan out.
It's not fair to the manager to blame their upgrade choices for your misfortune. It's not like they asked you to go all-in on them.

Please keep their feelings and the atmosphere of the tournament in mind when making comments like that.

In any case, better luck next year!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 08:19:51 am by Nekkowe »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2024, 02:22:13 pm »

Numerically the odds are against it with 200 or so animal people.

I didn't catch the last round of betting. This time I'm going to bet 430 Gold on Drekkar

460 gold on Kraken.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2024, 04:06:49 pm »

Salmeuk saunters in to the betting room, and all eyes fall upon the table as he counts out 742 gold. He places the entire stack of coins under the sign labeled 'Captain Drekkar'.

thats a lotta dough
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17