Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bells!  (Read 718 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bells!
« on: June 22, 2024, 05:58:29 pm »

The game is very clearly in a good position for some new sounds.
I think we should have bells that toll.

When the alarm sounds, the bell will toll.
When two dwarves get married, the bell will toll.
When the season changes, the bell will toll.

but only if the player builds a large bell.
Dwarves with poor track of time will also be reminded about how they have important stuff to do.

Such a bell may be given to a religion, as a symbolic and practical gesture.

Also, kids clearly could play with tiny handheld bells.
I think it would bring more life to this world!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: Bells!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 07:39:10 pm »

Good thinking eerr. That would be really cute to have bells at marriage. I think it will make dwarves falling in love a more significant event.

Yeah Dwarf Fortress does well in making the world feel alive. I like when the flowers bloom and the leaves fall, for examples. This suggestion could add more life.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 03:57:25 pm »

Might be handy for temples and barracks.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2024, 08:35:05 pm »

It could also become part of a warning system or non-lethal traps...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 08:43:10 pm »

A big scary bell "trap" to frighten away wildlife or warn you that a visitor is approaching along a particular path. Yes...

Ringing a bell to enact a burrow alert sounds cool too. But relying on it to be wrung before the alert status changes has the same shortfalls as relying on a lever to be pulled; somebody actually has to go do it, and even having a team of designated lever pullers/bell ringers can fail if they all happen to take a nap when you need it pulled. Though, I do think that's still a fair shortfall as long as wrinkles in that get ironed out, like doing that job when designated to be done "now" takes max priority over even going to bed or eating/drinking (unless starving/dehydrated, and obviously already unconscious) and always takes priority over socializing. And maybe some improvements to selecting the closest dwarf instead of somebody 200 tiles away.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 08:59:31 pm »

A big scary bell "trap" to frighten away wildlife or warn you that a visitor is approaching along a particular path. Yes...

Like a Shishi-Odoshi?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2024, 09:11:20 pm »

I was actually thinking of linking them to a pressure plate with the bell adjacent (I assume like other audio calculations like cavern disturbance they'll have a range from which they can be heard, so nearer would be better for startling animals), but same principle as that, or tin cans on a tripwire alarms.

For added realism if that in particular gets implemented; animals should learn to ignore the bells if they've experienced them multiple times without getting into combat within x ticks at least once. Not a problem if they roam away, but for creatures that get stuck on trying to path into or out of the caverns (which happens a lot if you keep a consistent route open) then they'll eventually ignore it and continue onwards. Do I really want the same stubborn yak ringing the bell every 30 seconds for eternity anyway?

Oh also also, i.dont think I saw this mentioned yet; different material bells should have different sounds, like doors do. Gold and brass and steel all sound different.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2024, 11:14:54 pm »

I want bells for bell towers for churches and city halls.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2024, 07:30:15 am »

When the alarm sounds, the bell will toll.
When two dwarves get married, the bell will toll.
When the season changes, the bell will toll.

Would this happen automatically, or would a dwarf have to be assigned to the bell ringer position?

I hope we can actually hear the bell. Be able to craft bells of different notes. Rig them up to be played by a passing minecart.