Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Segmentation faults again  (Read 811 times)

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Segmentation faults again
« on: June 15, 2024, 09:23:20 am »

I'm still struggling with segmentation faults, this time in 47.04

15 years into the fortress life, everything settled so far. Not really easy with this version. The captain of the guard just killed 13 of her own people, developing thoughts like 'angry to get into an argument', then 'angry to have killed someone', and then of course 'sad to see Urist McUnlucky die'. The Justice tab is empty, of course, no judge, no plaintiff.

Then I got segmentation faults. This time no trees growing into constructions, I avoided that right from the start and interlocked everything.

Had read somewhere that dissolving all military (thereby freeing all armor and weapon items) could solve it, which I did. Also removed all militia captains from the Nobles screen, and fired the captain of the guard. The set of "militia captain"s is gone from the Nobles screen but still present in the Squad overview.

That solved the problem temporarily. But now I'm sitting with a fortress without military, and a second after appointing any member to any new squad the game crashes. Any idea what to do to save the fortress?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:27:59 am by pganon »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Segmentation faults again
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 02:07:45 pm »

If upgrading to version 0.47.05 doesn't solve your problem, you're very likely out of luck - all future work is being done on version [0.]50 (and later), so any bugs left in 0.47 or earlier will never be fixed (unless an especially dedicated player decides to make a binary patch).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 05:18:22 am »

Well, 47.04 is much more of a challenge; I'd rather experiment a bit more before giving up. From another thread which I now cannot find anymore I know it might only be one or two weapon or armor items that are somehow corrupted.

So far, I tested:
  • Appointing a militia commander or a captain of the guard, or both ==> works
  • Creating a squad with equipment but without members ==> works
  • Appointing any member to a squad with equipment ==> crashes
  • Appointing any member to a squad without equipment ==> works
  • Manually assigning individual weapons and armor pieces ==> works

So it looks like, when I allow a whole set of equipment, and after a dwarf is drafted, the game goes through all of the available items and stumbles over a corrupted one.

I have never used Dwarf Therapist... Does it have an option to find corrupted equipment?

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 03:00:29 pm »

So, with a bit of effort I narrowed the offending items down to a pair of (copper gauntlets).

Unfortunately I cannot really solve the problem. Melting them crashes the game. Vaporizing works but as soon as I lift (!) the bridge, the game crashes. Forbidding them changes nothing, and because the original owner is quite certainly dead---it's goblinite--- there is not much hope the issue will improve in 100 years when most of my current dwarf have died of old age.

It is manual assignment of gloves from now on :-/

Why can I actually assign a lump of marble as gauntlet? Dwarfs won't equip it, of course, but that allocation does not make much sense. I also have about 8 copies of the same artefact gauntlet that I may assign.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2024, 09:02:49 pm »

what about using df hack to `autodump destroy` them? Or teleporting it with `autodump` into magma, or into a walled off room where nothing can reach them?

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 01:41:02 am »

They are already in a walled-off room. As mentioned, I never used dfhack... does it work any different than a bridge on a dump tile? Because, that is not enough in this case.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 09:57:34 pm »

I doubt it would help, but there are locations at the bottom of the magma sea that will eat even magma safe items that fall into them. (different from just melting, probably not different from bridge destruction)

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 05:35:03 am »

Hmm, my last hope, selling to the caravan, was also destroyed. As soon as the wagons leave the map, the game crashes. And I lose 6 weeks of play time  :'( Moreover, it now has multiplied, and I have more items that are corrupted in this way.

I guess I'll now play a fortress where I destroy, or safely collect and lock away, all foreign items, and I hope the problem affects only armor.

xzaxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2024, 07:21:12 am »

They are already in a walled-off room. As mentioned, I never used dfhack... does it work any different than a bridge on a dump tile? Because, that is not enough in this case.
Well, you could also use dfhack to try and analyze how the item is corrupted and potentially even undo the corruption. It's possibly quite complicated though.
Known issues
You may get a dwarf that likes bugged stockpiles.